Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Matches weekend 7th -9th May

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Glad to be lumped into the list there. Nice generalisation of a post. I don't agree with anyone gathering outside a ground, so you can step down there for a minute.
    Good to hear - and cheerfully acknowledged.

You did mention "for right or for wrong" which does sound a bit like a defence of it, but happy it's clarified

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    What complete and utter high and mighty pretentious crap.
    In fear of derailing a match thread and not wanting to target individuals, there is a reason that as a country we had to introduce legislation to back up efforts against a serous acute health crisis and its because we generally do the 'it'll be grand' and do wat we like regardless of sound advice. Contrast to some other countries who can give public advisories and know that there will be general compliance so no need for legislation. There are far too many dont give a f*ck types and you see it beyond covid with littering when there are bins everywhere, people just bucking their McDonalds out of car windows, places littered now with disposable gloves and masks, fly tipping in remote places of absolute beauty. Thinking that in some way it is cool and rebellious to just go against the grain. Comedians have sketches about these sort of things for years. A fire alarm goes off and people just continue as you were. Yes there is optimism about getting out of this lockdown but jump the gun and we are back in lockdown again. Its not spoiling peoples fun just for the sake of it. It is doing things so that we dont have to go through it all again and that is the risk taken when people gather on a wall at Oriel, or marquee and catering companies provide services that knowingly breach restrictions - I hope that they are no longer eligible for financial supports and indeed return drawn down covid grants if they have traded illegally. Wait for the meltdowns when BCD restrictions are lifted but some areas are excluded due to infection rates that could well have been driven up by the actions of those same people having meltdowns and how unfair it is. People are entitled to opinions but for goodness sakes at least do things based on informed and evidence based on best practice and not 'cause its a bit of craic to go against advice and not be apologists for those morons who think its all a bit of fun.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 09/05/2021 at 1:47 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It's depressing in a way - and it's not the first time it's been seen on this forum. Nigel_harps talking about Harps fans gathering "for right or for wrong" (there's no "for right" about it). sbgawa suggesting lockdown should be lifted to help mental health issues. bennocelt thinking covid is just some "moaning minnies". It's no wonder we're still recording another few hundred cases every day. It's an interesting insight though into the utter selfishness of so many people.
    Actually i said mental health, economics and deteriorating cancer care services amongst others and i didnt mean lifted entirely i meant logically debated and lifted earlier because of vacination roll out. i'm entitled to my view just as you are that nothing except covid matters.
    You arent going to change and neither am i. back to football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    In fear of derailing a match thread and not wanting to target individuals, there is a reason that as a country we had to introduce legislation to back up efforts against a serous acute health crisis and its because we generally do the 'it'll be grand' and do wat we like regardless of sound advice. Contrast to some other countries who can give public advisories and know that there will be general compliance so no need for legislation. There are far too many dont give a f*ck types and you see it beyond covid with littering when there are bins everywhere, people just bucking their McDonalds out of car windows, places littered now with disposable gloves and masks, fly tipping in remote places of absolute beauty. Thinking that in some way it is cool and rebellious to just go against the grain. Comedians have sketches about these sort of things for years. A fire alarm goes off and people just continue as you were. Yes there is optimism about getting out of this lockdown but jump the gun and we are back in lockdown again. Its not spoiling peoples fun just for the sake of it. It is doing things so that we dont have to go through it all again and that is the risk taken when people gather on a wall at Oriel, or marquee and catering companies provide services that knowingly breach restrictions - I hope that they are no longer eligible for financial supports and indeed return drawn down covid grants if they have traded illegally. Wait for the meltdowns when BCD restrictions are lifted but some areas are excluded due to infection rates that could well have been driven up by the actions of those same people having meltdowns and how unfair it is. People are entitled to opinions but for goodness sakes at least do things based on informed and evidence based on best practice and not 'cause its a bit of craic to go against advice and not be apologists for those morons who think its all a bit of fun.
    Agree with you on Pats they had a plan and were effective with it , it wasn't just hoofed they were picking people out and almost scored from it twice.
    Without doubt the best team we have played this season and good with and without the ball.
    The winning goal was huge as i think it will have sucked a bit of belief out of the PAts lads.
    Its a long league and nothing is won yet but Rovers are looking very strong.
    The only issue is are they as good as we think, lots of last gasp wins , can that continue??
    Dundalk now 16 points behind, the Harps match next Friday will be a big test, if a recovery is coming it has to start soon

(quoted the wrong post by you )
    Last edited by sbgawa; 09/05/2021 at 1:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Dundalk v Harps next Friday really is a big game.
    If we've a manager in by then we could get the new manager bounce out of it but i doubt we will.(have a new manager)

Rumours very scarce about who will be coming in. Anyone got a rumour?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Agree with you on Pats they had a plan and were effective with it , it wasn't just hoofed they were picking people out and almost scored from it twice.
    Without doubt the best team we have played this season and good with and without the ball.
    The winning goal was huge as i think it will have sucked a bit of belief out of the PAts lads.
    Its a long league and nothing is won yet but Rovers are looking very strong.
    The only issue is are they as good as we think, lots of last gasp wins , can that continue??
    Dundalk now 16 points behind, the Harps match next Friday will be a big test, if a recovery is coming it has to start soon

(quoted the wrong post by you )
    probably no harm there lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    If we've a manager in by then we could get the new manager bounce out of it but i doubt we will.(have a new manager)

No scarcity on rumours, few have any basis bar random name thrown out. Like scattergun signings if we speculate enough somebody will have gotten it right. I think its important not to get an underwhelming appointment as the club and support as a whole need a lift so its a bit more than just the ability of the appointee in the short term or in getting the bounce. I think it will be Lyttle myself though I have no grounds for that other than it a fairly straight forward appointment and would be underwhelming imo. The club are not going to say anything else but supposedly there was a big response from coaches looking for the job though a number (looking for an early career break in management) who were big names but lacked the badges. JM also said this week that the job hasnt been formally advertised which sounded to me like an excuse for any delays. I'd prefer to see someone headhunted and not via third party recommendations ie agents pushing their own ends.

I have to say, Im glad there arent the 'in the know' type rumours. I felt it was unprofessional when regulars in certain Dundalk pubs knew of club news before official announcements. It was funny when a local paper published a big back page spread on a former managers appointment only for it to change after going to press and a rival paper out a day later had the correct story - though the manager that was appointed was probably the worst in the history of the club so last laughs and all that.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 09/05/2021 at 2:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    No scarcity on rumours, few have any basis bar random name thrown out. Like scattergun signings if we speculate enough somebody will have gotten it right. I think its important not to get an underwhelming appointment as the club and support as a whole need a lift so its a bit more than just the ability of the appointee in the short term or in getting the bounce. I think it will be Lyttle myself though I have no grounds for that other than it a fairly straight forward appointment and would be underwhelming imo. The club are not going to say anything else but supposedly there was a big response from coaches looking for the job though a number (looking for an early career break in management) who were big names but lacked the badges. JM also said this week that the job hasnt been formally advertised which sounded to me like an excuse for any delays. I'd prefer to see someone headhunted and not via third party recommendations ie agents pushing their own ends.

I have to say, Im glad there arent the 'in the know' type rumours. I felt it was unprofessional when regulars in certain Dundalk pubs knew of club news before official announcements. It was funny when a local paper published a big back page spread on a former managers appointment only for it to change after going to press and a rival paper out a day later had the correct story - though the manager that was appointed was probably the worst in the history of the club so last laughs and all that.
    Honestly,i never heard a titter bar the usual names.
    We have to get this right and we have to go back also and re-do a lot of what has been un-done down the line - if that makes any sense to you Nesta?

Yeah,i remember that battle between the Demo and the Argus for the scoop good times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Honestly,i never heard a titter bar the usual names.
    We have to get this right and we have to go back also and re-do a lot of what has been un-done down the line - if that makes any sense to you Nesta?

Yeah,i remember that battle between the Demo and the Argus for the scoop good times.
    It does, some bridges need to be built and a few key people asked to return to the fray. Not sure it will happen though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    And I'm sure you've a good point to back that up with...?
    I do, and I could but (I know this goes against the entire raison d’être of a forum) I could not be bothered to go there. It is also entirely irrelevant to the thread anyway so probably shouldn’t have risen to it to even comment and will leave it at that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Can we not all just get along and agree... that Rovers are great!!!
    Anyway: I'm regard to dundalk, it seems lot of core dundalk people are no longer involved with the club, and that will clearly be to the detriment of the club. LOI is never gonna be a Super League contender, and there is evidence in pretty much every single other LOI club that ultimately its the fans and dedicated locals who are the ones that save their clubs and make their clubs thrive. Dundalk clearly need to get back to that to reestablish their club- problem is their club owners are of a mentality that is similar to the 12 proposed super league clubs owners - fans are just a legacy issue for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Yup Rovers are a great side but its the worst standard season ever!!

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I do, and I could but I could not be bothered to go there.
    Well there's a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Can we not all just get along and agree... that Rovers are great!!!
    I know there's only 10 games gone so far, but it does seem that the title is going back to Tallaght alright, even at this stage. For a side not playing all that well (compared to, say, last year), five points is a big lead.

Probably also fair to say that it's hard to see the top three changing between now and the end of the season? Sligo and Pat's are the only other two vaguely consistent sides in the division.

Everyone else - including Harps in fourth - is almost falling over themselves to hand over what is probably the fourth European spot to someone else. I think that's where the interest will lie for the rest of the season. Longford were looking in trouble but then took draws off Dundalk and Derry (away) and will probably be annoyed with two points. Waterford I don't think are as bad as the table makes out; they seem to have been unlucky in some games (including Drogheda of course), though it depends on to what extend their problems so far are because of Sheedy/Newell or Power.

Dundalk, Bohs and Derry are all struggling to get form going and really none of them seem capable of getting a run going either. Dundalk won two once Filippo left and you thought they might be on the way back, but then the Longford/Sligo performances have them back at square one.

Then Drogheda in fifth - probably an indication of the strength (or otherwise) of the division as I think it's a while since a non-bankrolled (ie Limerick/Waterford) promoted side finished top half. (Google tells me you're looking at Longford in 2015, strangely enough; wouldn't have been one I'd have thought of)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 09/05/2021 at 5:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

I’ve heard Ger Lyttle, Dave Rogers and David Healy linked with the job. A journalist based in Dundalk tweeted a few days ago Healy is due to take over the third week of May. Probably guess work on he’s part

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    I’ve heard Ger Lyttle, Dave Rogers and David Healy linked with the job. A journalist based in Dundalk tweeted a few days ago Healy is due to take over the third week of May. Probably guess work on he’s part
    Prob the bould Gerry Malone. Seen it.Gerry is a header,well liked by everyone and anyone who knows him but his tips can be ........ ott and well.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    He called the Albanian keeper in fairness!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    We absolutely blew that </3
    Our two goals were from your mistakes - must be very frustrating. I thought we did enough to win the game but the two goals were soft enough.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The notable difference between Rover playing out from the back and Dundalk's 'efforts' was the pace of playing along the back before looking to go forward with runners all over the place giving options. Prior to the equaliser defenders were playing in the Pats half with few clipped in 50/50 balls in from deep with no real angle. For obvious reasons Rovers are playing with belief, no panic, and sticking to a game plan in contrast to Dundalk when chasing a game the tactic is just to empty the bench with more or less like for like so no real changing things up.
    I hope this will put to bed the idea from some quarters (not you, Nesta) that Bradley is some naif. Yeah, like Kenny, he has great players but he has them playing really good football and is winning games on an unprecedented scale. I really don't think we'll have him for much longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Lads, cut it out with the grammar lessons and the aggression please, just talk about football or shut your traps.

23. Thanks From:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456