Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stunned by U2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stunned by U2

At very last moment I decided to go to Croke Park. I could not get a day off to travel with Shels to Waterford, so I thought I'd give it a go. Bought a second hand ticket for 120 euro, reasonable if you hear what some others gave for it.

I am not a U2 fan but do like most of their work. So went to the arena with the idea of "we'll see, don't know what to expect, but hopefully it will be a nice one"

It was a nice one... I am deeply impressed. They were absolutely great.

It started off a bit lame, it seemed Bono's voice didn't get through very well, it was mainly Edge's guitars dominating. But the problem was solved rapidly and then Bono proved he is a cracker frontman. Very charismatic, knows how to play the crowd, vocally very well. He surprised me in a very positive way.

The stage seemed very high-tech but was not used at all in the beginning. It proved to be a trick: saving the best for last. With every song the spectacle became bigger and bigger, special effects + displays on a giant screen + light effects... The setlist was very good as well: starting off with Vertigo, then saving most of the classics for last as if they were going towards an apotheose in the end (except for New Year's Day which was played rather early in the evening).

I was a bit afraid Bono's political issues would make it sound a bit mellow, but on the contrary. It gave the gig a unique extra dimension. It was simply a uniquely stunning moment when the whole 80000 fans lit the arena for the Burmese human rights fighter who's imprisoned, it was just as stunning when the whole crowd applauded when the Human Rights Charter was displayed on the giant screen and when Bono speeched on fighting poverty in Africa. There was so much in the small details, for example the word "coexist" with the Islamic moon sign forming the C, the Star of David forming the X, and the cross forming the T ; the three dominant religions' symbols all in such a powerful word. Simply brilliant.
    The political issues didn't make it mellow a second. It was unique to see 80000 people make a collective mass statement for peace, the band actually turned a concert into something that goes way beyond a concert. The feeling of connection and brotherhood between everyone in the crowd was unique. United by the wish for a better world, united by love for music.

One of the best gigs I've been to in my life. The atmosphere was stunning, it was a big open air party of people having a good time and praying for a better world. The performance was excellent, the setlist very good as well. The build-up of the show was great, and even the weather gods were going along as the rain stopped pouring by the end of the gig
    Big big class. I get this feeling when seeing my own idols (Placebo, Bunnymen) but was never so impressed and thrilled by a gig of any other band. I've seen Paul McCartney and the Stones in a recent past, but this was way better.

Stunning concert, and I'm even considering going back on Monday. We'll see if the budget allows it
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    AMAZING wasnt it?
    couldnt hear Bono very well for first few songs,(new years day,vertigo,i will follow) couldnt hear edge sing at all, but it was an AMAZING gig!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    During the first songs I could hear mainly The Edge and little of Bono, but they solved the problem later on. I was lucky though to sit on the lower parts of the stands, with a box very near my sit.

I think it was a superb gig, though mainly the atmosphere made it to what it was. Musically I am and remain a Bunnyman, but EATB will never have the finances to set up an impressing show like U2 can...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    It was simply a uniquely stunning moment when the whole 80000 fans lit the arena for the Burmese human rights fighter who's imprisoned

Persuming he played Walk On after/during this? One of my favourite songs ever!! (she's Aung Sung Suu Kyi by the way )

Like the sound of the "coexist"
    Glad you enjoyed it!!
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    they had sound problems on friday which were sorted last nite
    Went along last nite and tho I'm slightly biased being a aul u2 head but WOW
    unbelievable gig-anyone goin on monday will be wiped out by it
    Starts off with real old stuff like out of control ,I will follow etc and each track the light an display show gets bigger and better ,by the end the stage is just out of this world
    Did a great version of my personal favourite (and a track they've not played live in years ) running to standstill, and some from the latest album including a ecoustic version of yehwah,and they did all the all the clasics like sunday bloody sunday,mysterious ays,the fly,......they really and truly still have it ....feel privilaged to have witnessed 100 thousand people rockin last nite, croker shook last nite ....I've been a fan since the early years and been to all their tours ,but last nite,they showed that they are like fine wine , getting better with age.Nver though the Joshua tree tour would be bettered but they came damn close last nite
    Bono had the place rocking ,and it nearly had me in tears when the crowd continued the song ( miricle drug) when the band had stopped playing......

It wasn't at all political although the little speech to shame that fool bertie was class .100,000 people booing the little podgy f*cker was class

"Sometimes you can't make it on your own" blew me away , and when he did "one " with all the lights in the stadium out ,and only mobile fone lights on , that was just genius,felt like the sky had fallen

Cannot wait till monday's gig
    The lunatic is on the grass
    The lunatic is on the grass
    Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
    Got to keep the loonies on the path

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I went on Friday and I was very dissapointed, sound was shít, couldn't here a word Bono said either, I'm glad it was sorted out but it was VERY dissapointing to ruin a great show with crap sound!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    All that Political bullsh*t in the middle wrecked my head,I went to the concert to see U2 play music,not to be told what to do with my money and who i should and should not vote for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Will we be able to hear them playing in Tolka? If so, I'm bringing headphones!!
    God

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liam88

Persuming he played Walk On after/during this? One of my favourite songs ever!!
    Modern pop rip-off of You'll Never Walk Alone......I like U2's music, but I can't stand Bono. The man's a tool, I'd puke if I had to listen to him or watch him girate for more than 10 minutes. I'd say the stage and effects were impressive though, U2 always pull out all the stops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D2 Red
    All that Political bullsh*t in the middle wrecked my head,I went to the concert to see U2 play music,not to be told what to do with my money and who i should and should not vote for.

That's the kind of crap I expected from Bono and why I made no effort at all to get tickets despite likeing their music, espically their old stuff which is absolutley superb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I am not a U2 fan but do like most of their work. So went to the arena with the idea of "we'll see, don't know what to expect, but hopefully it will be a nice one"

It was a nice one... I am deeply impressed. They were absolutely great.
    Good for you Gerrit. I had not a clue what "f**k the revolution" meant in 1984 and, although it took me many years to work through the issues, finally now I see where Hewson et al. were coming from. Despite coming from positions largely contrary to my own, this band and their music have helped me define and sharpen my beliefs and understand the humanity that underpins all those points of view that are not my own. Despite being the finest bombasts of me generation, I owe U2. Legends.

And - more importantly - they can still do it. What a show. U2 go bragh!

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liam88

Persuming he played Walk On after/during this? One of my favourite songs ever!! (she's Aung Sung Suu Kyi by the way )

Like the sound of the "coexist"
    Glad you enjoyed it!!
    The 'coexist' thing was very simple yet stunning. Brilliant idea to mix the three main religions' symbols in that very word. The simple things are sometimes the greatest.

After the birthday song dedicated to Aung Sung Suu Kyi (I remembered the name but was afraid to make spelling mistakes in my previous post) he played "Running to stand still" I think, if I remember it well. I am not sure because it was a gig of over 2 hours and I can't exactly remember the order of the songs.

The setlist was brilliantly constructed, starting off with new and less known work, then when it moved on they fired all classics off to the audience and the stage was used in a better and better way.

Now don't get me wrong: I am and remain a fan of Echo & The Bunnymen more than of any other band. Musically they cannot be beaten by anyone IMO, and that includes U2.

But that doesn't mean I cannot enjoy U2 music or enjoy U2 gigs. It's different in the way that a U2 concert is more than just a concert, the Bunnymen simply could not afford to bring a show like that (which as other side of the medal means that they prove they don't need any high-tech trics to make their concerts impressing). I'd say a U2 concert in a unique experience because it's so much more than a concert: it's a grand spectacle and a massive prayer for peace and brotherhood, which is impressing. A Bunnymen concert is more like simply a concert.

I'm very glad I experienced this U2 gig and it was worth every euro. I won't suddenly be a U2 fan as in terms of finding them the best band ever, but my respect for them (which was already rather big) did grow a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    That's the kind of crap I expected from Bono and why I made no effort at all to get tickets despite likeing their music, espically their old stuff which is absolutley superb.
    Well, you can expect that, can't you ? We all know Bono, so it was a bit predictable that he'd bring up African issues

I feared for too many political references and that it would break the gig, but on the contrary, they did it in such a good way that it brought an atmosphere amongst the audience of all being united by the wish for a better place and by the love for music.

I just wonder what The Edge, Larry and Adam thought of it. It seems that The Edge is not very wild about Bono's political issues, i remember that a few years ago there were issues between the both of them because Edge thought Bono was not spending too much attention and time to the music anymore because of his political involvements. So I wonder if Edge, Larry and Adam were that glad with Bono spending 6 or 7 songs dedicated to his political ideals.
    Then on the other hand, they seemed to enjoy the gig. The Edge seemed very emotional by the massive response from the audience...

Also I was surprised with the papers posting pics of Bono the day before the gig. He went to a few pubs in Dublin together with Gavin Friday and Gucci from the Virgin Prunes. I know the two bands formed a sort of underground society back in their early days (The Lypton Village) but I didn't know they were still in touch.
    I kinda like the ideas of the Virgin Prunes, in a way I have more respect for their anti-commercial approach than for the steps towards commerce that U2 made after Achtung Baby.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    Modern pop rip-off of You'll Never Walk Alone......
    What?!?! Biggest load of rubbish I ever heard! The scum raping Burma banned that song because it got Aung Sung Suu Kyi to much support! Nout like YNWA!

Walk on
    Walk on
    What you got, they can't steal it
    No they can't even feel it

[SIZE=5]
    Up the NLD[/SIZE]
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I just wonder what The Edge, Larry and Adam thought of it. It seems that The Edge is not very wild about Bono's political issues, i remember that a few years ago there were issues between the both of them because Edge thought Bono was not spending too much attention and time to the music anymore because of his political involvements
    I should think that several million Euro each over the years and across the piece might well have mollified any angst that Evans, Clayton and Mullen were/are feeling over Bono's "issues". (I know it would me.) But then, I'm just an old and shrivelling cynic.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great concert alright (although I prefered Slane when we beat the Dutch). There wasnt too much political stuff to be fair, Mirical Drug was dedicated to helth care professionals more because of recient personal experiences of the band and every one likes a good boo at Bertie, after all Bono was just pointing out that Bertie was continuing to break another of his promises. Dont think that the ASSK video would have shown if it wasnt her birthday but I found it very moving and what can you say about all the mobile phones 'lighting up like a Xmas tree'... one of the most increadable sights Ive ever seen

They had the sound sorted fairly quickly, although I could hear him sing anyway coz I was in the pit . Thought the start of Vertigo was great + the version Elevation was mad too. The stage set was incredable too. How poxy was that that Canadian guy Mat though That b@stard lived my dream (he got pulled out of the crowd and played guitar for one of the songs)
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    i dont see how anyone could have been dissapionted with that show,i payed 60 euro and would have gladly paid more,what a show!!! the only problems i found was that blinding lights should have been played later for full effect of lights, couldnt hear Bono for a while,and edges guitar on SBS was almost too loud, but i really cannot complain, U2-ABSOULUTE LEGENDS

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Turned out I was in block 332 not 333, so even closer...

Didn't think the sound was great tbh, but great to hear Out of Control, Electric Co live. And actually Party Girl with Canadian bloke guesting/picked from the crowd. Good visually once it was dark, fookin residents making it an early start.....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I'm with Drumcondra Red on this - the sound quality was very poor, and for €70 you expect better than that. In fairness to U2 they always put on a great show and try to give value for money, but they were badly let down by their sound engineers. I mean how hard is it to do some soundchecks?
    Snow Patrol were meant to be on at 7.30 but they were gone when I arrived at 8, but u2 weren't on until about 9.15. Could have filled that gap.
    And finally, Bono was completely out of key for With or Without You, either that or his voice went completely.

I enjoyed the show, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't up to their usual high standard.
    Edge's guitar playing was awesome.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monutdfc
    And finally, Bono was completely out of key for With or Without You, either that or his voice went completely.
    I've noticed an increasing trend of Bono's to get the crowd to sing the high notes... Actually slips under the radar until you notice it...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast