Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Longford: I would not want to be associated with this team

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Don't know Patsh - some would say its because we went down there and whacked the ball aimlessly up the field. Some would say our defence played well but our forwards and midfielders couldn't hold the ball up. Others might say that the Cork defence and midfield outplayed our midfield and forwards. But..the frustrating thing is draw in Cork and according to your fans and Sonic, play negatively, play very well in Tolka and lose!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ooops... we rolled over and handed Shels, my second favourite team three points... damn we open up and lost... must be ****ed off we listened to you guys!?!?
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    Why can't they play this way at the Cross?????

You wouldn't have taken any points if you had done.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    You wouldn't have taken any points if you had done.
    I doubt that City would have lost the game......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Got mixed up between Xlex and your posts.
    Thought he meant that they should have played football against us.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Is that supposed to support your grievance against us?
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magoo
    Is that supposed to support your grievance against us?
    I have no grievance against Longford.
    It's a fact that you team plays sh*te "football", your manager's tactic consists of lumping the ball up to Keegan and it's dreadful boring crap to watch. Maybe you lot have become immune to it, but its rubbish which nobody else will want to watch again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry to ruin your day but entertaining the Cork supporters is not top of our list of priorities. As you implied yourself, had we gone at Cork we were only likely to earn a draw at most (more likely to lose). FFS, in all honesty what do you expect from us? The so-called poor standard of (attacking) football was down to the fact that we, a mid-table team (who have been consistently so for a number of seasons), were playing away from home to you, league leaders (who have been consistently title contenders for a number of seasons). That's football mate. You have to apply damage limitation at times even if it means swallowing your pride for a few matches in the season. We do play football when it makes sense to do so. Fair enough sometimes it doesn't click. We're not Brazil. There are limits to our team's ability, but my opinion is that we generally make a decent go of it and very often punch quite a bit above our own weight.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry to ruin your day but entertaining the Cork supporters is not top of our list of priorities. As you implied yourself, had we gone at Cork we were only likely to earn a draw at most (more likely to lose). FFS, in all honesty what do you expect from us? The so-called poor standard of (attacking) football was down to the fact that we, a mid-table team (who have been consistently so for a number of seasons), were playing away from home to you, league leaders (who have been consistently title contenders for a number of seasons). That's football mate. You have to apply damage limitation at times even if it means swallowing your pride for a few matches in the season. We do play football when it makes sense to do so. Fair enough sometimes it doesn't click. We're not Brazil. There are limits to our team's ability, but my opinion is that we generally make a decent go of it and very often punch quite a bit above our own weight.
    Which entirely proves my point.
    Longford under Matthews have no ambition, no belief and are satisifed with mid-table mediocrity. And he has convinced most of the Longford support that that is the best they can hope for.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "It's a fact that you team plays sh*te "football", your manager's tactic consists of lumping the ball up to Keegan and it's dreadful boring crap to watch. Maybe you lot have become immune to it, but its rubbish which nobody else will want to watch again."

Patsh,

I posted on this thread this morning after we lost a highly entertianing game against Shels - I then gave you some possibilities as to why we may have played poorly in Cork. And then you post the above! So your claiming that in addition to the Cork game, last nights match was crap, our game against Derry was crap, our 3-0 win in Waterford was crap our 1-0 win against Pats was crap. (thats our last 5 league games). Either your a secret Longford fan who sees a lot of our matches or talking rubbish based on one game!
    If we play in a crap match we know it - for example UCD at home - but to say we play like that all the time is just plain stupid.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Longford under Matthews have no ambition, no belief and are satisifed with mid-table mediocrity. And he has convinced most of the Longford support that that is the best they can hope for.
    Put it into context. Satisfied with mid-table but there's nothing mediocre about being in the last four cup finals and taking three of them. Nor is there in having only been promoted after an eternity in Div1 only 5/6 years ago. Many of our equivalents have been division yo-yo's where we haven't. We've kept the club financially stable (to the best of my knowledge). You're judging the progress of the club with the big history/money/support clubs like yourselves. In terms of the development of LTFC as a sucessful title-contending club there is nothing to suggest we are not on track. We have never been as successful as we have under Matthews. Matthew's doesn't need to convinvce me on what we can hope for. All i need to do is look at the current situation as described above to decide what, at any one time, is a reasonable and acceptable performance from the team.
    Last edited by fosterdollar; 28/06/2005 at 11:42 AM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It's realism ffs. Midtable is good for us given our budget/ status. If we're best of the mostly part time teams then that is good, if we finish above any of the full time/ virtually full time teams then that is excellent. I suppose if he had any ambition we'd have a few trophies from his reign....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ok Ok I give up.

Matthews is the greatest manager of all time, he is doing a superb job, your club is great, you play fantastic football, and I am heartily sorry for having taken the name of Longford in vain.

(outside of that, Longford played god awful, ambitionless, boring crap last Friday night )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Longford played some great stuff lastnight - a big physical team who arent afraid to get stuck in, but they actually played some great football on the deck.

It really was a great game to watch being honest.

They were very unlucky not to leave tolka with all 3 points - lady luck just wasnt with them, on another night they couldve won by a couple of goals
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You're judging the progress of the club with the big history clubs like yourselves.
    I think you've gotten them mixed up with someone else there magoo...

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts
    We play plenty of good football during the season just not in Cork. I dont know why. We played lots of it last night. Fair enough some nights we have an off night and it's poor but you cant say that's the case every week. Cosmo has no reason to be lying to you, we did play very well and it was good football too last night and we deserved something from the game.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Last night was a great game. Longford attacked Shels from the start and were really unlucky to lose the game. Had they a better striker than Myler, I think they would have won.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Or had we a worse keeper than Delaney, who was outstanding. Williams will be doing well to get his place back.

It helped Longford greatly that Shels were so poor however.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian
    We play plenty of good football during the season just not in Cork. I dont know why. We played lots of it last night. Fair enough some nights we have an off night and it's poor but you cant say that's the case every week. Cosmo has no reason to be lying to you, we did play very well and it was good football too last night and we deserved something from the game.
    OK, you play good football....but NEVER against City. Longford always seem to play for a draw and are always very negative against us.

I expect though that you will have to come out and play for the League Cup game????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I expect though that you will have to come out and play for the League Cup game????
    They might subject you to extra time too!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast