Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UCD 3 Bray Wanderers 2

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

UCD 3 Bray Wanderers 2

Well we won the forgotten derby by the odd goal in five.
    Bray lined out with ex-College stalwarts Jody Lynch and Hugh Davey in defence and these were backed up by Robbie Dunne on the bench and Kevin Grogan who was not asked to tog out on this occasion.They probably could have done with him.
    The game was fairly even throughout but UCD did begin well and
    opened the scoring through Stephen Hurley after 16 minutes.
    Kieran "Tarzan" O'Brien swung through a jungle of players to equalize on 26 minutes to leave the half-time score 1-1.
    Bray took the lead during a purple patch for the visitors through Eamon Zayed on the hour mark. Pat McWalter switched into the forwards after the break equalised shortly afterwards and grabbed his second of both the game and the season on 75 minutes to seal a hard-earned three points for College.
    Sorry it's not a comprehensive match report but was kinda busy during the game.

U.C.D.;- Darren Quigley; Conor Kenna, Brian Shortall ( Aidan Lynch), Alan McNally, Mick O'Donnell;Stephen Hurley, Gary Dicker, Tony McDonnell, Pat McWalter; Robbie Martin, Paul Whitmarsh (Conor Sammon)

BRAY: O'Connor; Tresson, Charles, Lynch, Davey; James, O'Reilly (Eddie Gormley), Keogh, Fox; O'Brien(Conor Sinnott), Zayed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry Gents. U2. Wasn't worth it. Wish I was in the Park.
    "I always likened him to a Rolls Royce. You just used him once a week & he'd be flawless"
    Townsend on McGrath

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I'm delighted. Our 4th win in a row in all competitions. First back to back wins in the league this season. Second successive week we've fought back in the last 30 mins from behind to win a game. Great fighting spirit and finally we win a game we should expect to win! Paddy works very hard, delighted to see him grab a brace. We're in a strong enough league position now. But it's tight and a few defeats or a few wins could make a hell of a difference to our position. Longford have proved Cork can still be held as we proved ourselves at the Cross a few months ago. I hope we can take something from the game next week and build a good league position from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    From the score, it probably looks like it was a cracking match but in person it was far from it! The weather probably didn't help but it was one of the most unengaging games I've seen in a long time.

We were all over Bray for the first 20 minutes or so and after we scored I thought we were going to go on and win the game by a few goals. Maybe if they hadn't equalised and got a bit of confidence, we would have but they converted one of the scrappy chances that they got after some poor defending left O'Brien enough space at the edge of the box to lob the ball over Quigley. Bray pushed on a bit more after that and had much more of the possession for the rest of the half and for the first 15 minute of the second.

It wasn't particularly surprising that they took the lead but the goal they got was a dreadful one for us to concede. Quigley seemed to be badly positioned (although the defence didn't do much to protect him!) and the shot trickled past him and eventually in off the far post. It looked like we were going to lose at that stage (and probably by another goal against any decent team). After we equalised almost straight from the kick off though we seemed to cop on to the fact that Bray weren't that good and had the better of the game after that. McWalter took the winner well, a good ball through left him a clear run on goal and he finished it well.

Just reading the post above makes it sound exciting too but the quality of football was very poor; far too much aimless hoofing (one-touch, end-to-end football as someone put it ) and bad passing. Robbir Martin was wasted on the wing IMO and Whitmarsh didn't look up to it, although I'm mindful of the fact that I thought the same about Swan when he signed!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    What kind of crowd was there Schumi? Whitmarsh did set up Pat's 2nd goal according to 11 a side. Not the end of the world if he doesn't work out, we have a fair few strikers. Also is Dupuy injured now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    What kind of crowd was there Schumi?
    Woeful, 517 by my count. The weather was terrible though, I'd say that put a good few off.
    Also is Dupuy injured now?
    Must be, he wasn't on the bench even.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    Woeful, 517 by my count. The weather was terrible though, I'd say that put a good few off.
    Disastrous for what we'd consider a derby. Was it just ourselves who let the attendence down or did they bring little? What kind of weather are we talking about? I'm sweltering in around 30 degrees heat here at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    It was a terrible match. I think yez had more better chances but we should have held on when we took the lead. It was woeful from us. Congrats for the win. Yez should stay up if you play like that more.

This match is causing arguments on the Bray forum.
    Absolute disgrace
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Disastrous for what we'd consider a derby. Was it just ourselves who let the attendence down or did they bring little? What kind of weather are we talking about? I'm sweltering in around 30 degrees heat here at the moment.
    We had way more fans there. Just over half the AIB Stand was full of Bray fans.

PS The AIB Stand wasn't full.
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Thanks Frank. I reckon we'll both be staying up anyway though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    We had way more fans there. Just over half the AIB Stand was full of Bray fans.

PS The AIB Stand wasn't full.
    That would mean about 400 Bray fans, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    That would mean about 400 Bray fans, no?
    Maybe, I'm not too good with numbers. There seemed to be a good few of us. I'd say over 300 but, as I said, I'm not good with numbers.
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    About 400 in the stand in total, probably about half and half I'd say. Terrible home turn out, probably not much lower than normal Bray crowd (not sure how many they brought to previous games though).

Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    It was a terrible match. I think yez had more better chances but we should have held on when we took the lead.
    What kind of weather are we talking about?
    Heavy rain, not as bad as Limerick last year but still pretty bad.
    I'm sweltering in around 30 degrees heat here at the moment.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Damien Dupuy was in France attending a funeral of a family member according to one of the papers. Apparently that was news to one club official.

P.S. The Star estimates obviously do not over estimate all the time. Their reporter had the attendance down as 400. By the way that is the smallest attendance for a UCD -Bray Wanderers game in Belfield for a long long time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On the subject of attendances at the game.
    U2 obviously affected the crowd last night ( Colie for example was missing).
    The weather was terrible and the rain began falling around the time people within striking distance of the ground might have been considering leaving their houses.
    Maybe Pat Dolan is right after all when he says Summer soccer has not done much, if anything , for improvement in attendances!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Whitmarsh was pretty awful and Tony Mac was distinctly average, even by his standards. I hardly noticed Robbie Martin until he missed that sitter late on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Kieran "Tarzan" O'Brien swung through a jungle of players to equalize on 26 minutes to leave the half-time score 1-1.

Thats the Cheezeist pun I've heard for a while

Nice One
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el tk
    Whitmarsh was pretty awful and Tony Mac was distinctly average, even by his standards. I hardly noticed Robbie Martin until he missed that sitter late on.
    Let me see Whitmarsh has played two games in the First team so far and we have won them both and he set up the third goal.
    P.s. Even an average Tony Mac is better than some players at the top of their game
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 25/06/2005 at 9:02 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    517 is shocking! Got 640 last year in the First Division!

Was the weather that bad? 'Twas lovely up in Cavan all weekend!

Damo was given compassionate leave by Pete Mahon - it was well-documented (UCD website, the Mirror, Aertel), so I'm amazed the UCD committee member didn't get wind of it!!

Five goals in a UCD-Bray game though - that's the most ever (only equalled by the League Cup game, when if Barry Andrews hadn't been playing, there'd only have been two goals... ). Be thankful for something!

Still, seven games unbeaten now, eleven points off the bottom, finally beating teams in the bottom half and getting better all the time, it seems. Got to be happy with that.

Incidentally, Brian de Salvo on RTÉ radio described Paul Whitmarsh as like "Paul Doolin on a bad hair day"!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Let me see Whitmarsh has played two games in the First team so far and we have won them both and he set up the third goal. :
    That's great about the team winning with Whitmarsh, it doesn't change the fact that his overall contribution came to about touching the ball twice in the first 10 minutes and then passing the ball to McWalter.

P.s. Even an average Tony Mac is better than some players at the top of their game
    That's just not true, I don't know many players at the top of their game who spend on game missing as many chances as they can and the next just ambling around with a passing interest in the football.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast