Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Declan Devine gone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattB11 View Post
    Sheedy and Newell sacked today too apparently
    Pineapple Stu hexed them in the match day thread!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    That's each manager of the last three sides we've played either gone or just about in Sheedy's case.

The clock ticks for Ollie Horgan.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Derry to announce new manager tomorrow morning by the looks of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Long overdue. Shouldn’t have even been in charge this year. Interesting appointment this next one.
    It probably just the usual uninformed speculation, but according to the BBC:

"Those already being linked with the job include former Derry City player Ruaidhrí Higgins who is part of the backroom staff of Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Kenny, Cliftonville manager Paddy McLaughlin and Finn Harps assistant boss Paul Hegarty, who had a stint as caretaker boss of the Candystripes in 2015."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56779100

P.S. And I hope this doesn't derail the thread, how has Gartside been doing between the sticks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post

"Those already being linked with the job include former Derry City player Ruaidhrí Higgins who is part of the backroom staff of Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Kenny, Cliftonville manager Paddy McLaughlin and Finn Harps assistant boss Paul Hegarty, who had a stint as caretaker boss of the Candystripes in 2015."

P.S. And I hope this doesn't derail the thread, how has Gartside been doing between the sticks?

On Gartside, he was very poor in the first few games and excellent in last two, mixed bag to date. He just needs game time, and hopefully he’ll be our keeper for many a year to come.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post

Paddy McLaughlin and Paul Hegarty please no.

Jim McGuinness has also been mentioned locally as has Paddy McCourt stepping into that role.

Higgins looks the most exciting option, the realist in me says he would be absolutely mad to leave the chief scout role he holds with Ithe FAI for the Derry job though.

Agree with the poster above on Gartside. First season of actually starting regularly so hopefully comes on plenty for every passing few games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Id be well annoyed if Derry got a run on Dundalk and appointed Higgins. I have a few favoured candidates and Higgins would have been top 2 or 3 but never thought he'd leave the RoI set-up yet. Maybe he'd be too pally with a lot of the squad at Oriel!? He is one chap I can see getting Derry retaining talent and for some Derry lads to head home

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    From chatting to a close pal I hear Jim McGuinness is a strong contender for Derry City job. Cant see Higgins leave SK backroom staff at all now!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Word is Higgins will be confirmed and announced with Raf Cretaro as part of backroom team.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Higgins confirmed now. Another departure from the national setup too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Higgins confirmed now. Another departure from the national setup too.
    Good news for Derry! Not too positive looking for the national setup at all. Ye have to wonder what surprise Dundalk have in store for us as Higgins could be a missed opportunity and he could hold sway with the like of Duffy come November's contract wranglings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Looked a pair of chancers. What happened to that chap Rocket that was in charge last year. Was he overlooked for the job or wasn't interested.
    Franny didn’t have the pro licence to be the stand alone manager. It’s an absolute sham Franny was left out in the cold by Rub. Fantastic young coach and a great guy. He’d be a great addition to any club. Personally I think Franny should be head of the Waterford Academy.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Was hoping he last at least for the game in the Showgies tomorrow night. New manager boost and all that.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Impressive acquisition by Derry. I'm assuming that he must have taken a decent pay cut leaving the national set up. Or am I still somehow giving the FAI's finances too much credit?

Was really hoping there was something to the Jim Mcguiness link. While he hasn't really shown anything as of yet that means he deserves a chance I would be interested to see how he gets on. A successful Jim Mcguiness in the LOI would pique the interest of any sports fan in the country.

My interests aside, that's good work from the Derry board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    Impressive acquisition by Derry. I'm assuming that he must have taken a decent pay cut leaving the national set up. Or am I still somehow giving the FAI's finances too much credit?
    He'd be similar enough money at Derry now. The 3.5 year deal probably sounded attractive.

Happy with that signing. Higgins is highly rated by Stephen Kenny and several ex-players. He has plenty of experience under Kenny and Perth.
    Good to have Cretaro on board as well. Hated him playing against us, he was infuriatingly good at disrupting a match, winning a foul, controlling the pace. Hopefully he'll bring that to our squad, who are lacking that type of experience.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post

Was really hoping there was something to the Jim Mcguiness link. While he hasn't really shown anything as of yet that means he deserves a chance I would be interested to see how he gets on. A successful Jim Mcguiness in the LOI would pique the interest of any sports fan in the country.

My interests aside, that's good work from the Derry board.
    Presumably 3.5 years at Derry felt a lot more secure than the current role at the FAI, which is surely under a considerable amount of pressure already post-Luxembourg.

Re McGuinness - selecting someone who has never actually been the main manager of a football club and who's area of expertise is in a completely different sport would certainly be an interesting tactic by a large Premier Division club facing relegation. And probably not a wise one. If McGuinness wants to get into football management he's realistically probably going to have to start in the FD and show that he can actually do the job first.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 23/04/2021 at 3:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    McGuinness was manager at Charlotte Independence albeit for a short time just for the record.....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I had to do a double check when I seen Raf Cretaro in Brandywell on BBC NI news Im intrigued in how he knows Ruairi Higgins as to best of my knowledge they were never teammates or did they play together at Bohs ?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Presumably 3.5 years at Derry felt a lot more secure than the current role at the FAI, which is surely under a considerable amount of pressure already post-Luxembourg.

Re McGuinness - selecting someone who has never actually been the main manager of a football club and who's area of expertise is in a completely different sport would certainly be an interesting tactic by a large Premier Division club facing relegation. And probably not a wise one. If McGuinness wants to get into football management he's realistically probably going to have to start in the FD and show that he can actually do the job first.
    Neither Higgins or Cretaro have managed a club either. Neither have a lot of coaching experience either, to be fair.

McGuinness is probably more experienced than both, even if he hasn't been too successful.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I had to do a double check when I seen Raf Cretaro in Brandywell on BBC NI news Im intrigued in how he knows Ruairi Higgins as to best of my knowledge they were never teammates or did they play together at Bohs ?
    Yeah they were both at Bohs the same season

21. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast