Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Declan Devine gone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    McGuinness was manager at Charlotte Independence albeit for a short time just for the record.....
    He lasted 6 months of a 3yr contract before getting sacked with only 1 win in 14. In the US's second tier. And hasn't had a job in football since. In fact - I don't believe he's had any job in sport for almost 2 years now ?

All of which pretty much proves the point.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 24/04/2021 at 3:08 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Neither Higgins or Cretaro have managed a club either. Neither have a lot of coaching experience either, to be fair.

McGuinness is probably more experienced than both, even if he hasn't been too successful.
    At least Higgins and Cretaro have spent their careers in the sport that they're now managing in.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    At least Higgins and Cretaro have spent their careers in the sport that they're now managing in.
    McGuinness has long been involved in football too though, to be fair. He was at Harps and Derry previously and has long involvement in the game at junior level.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    McGuinness has long been involved in football too though, to be fair. He was at Harps and Derry previously and has long involvement in the game at junior level.
    Who did McGuinness play for at junior level Nigel before? Oh by the way great catching up with ya at bishopsgate socially distanced of course.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Ah come on. You can't compare any of that with being a manager at a senior football club in the top tier of a national league. I worked in a corner shop when I was a student. That doesn't make me qualified to run Tesco's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Ah come on. You can't compare any of that with being a manager at a senior football club in the top tier of a national league. I worked in a corner shop when I was a student. That doesn't make me qualified to run Tesco's.
    Never suggested as much. Just clarifying that McGuinness does have a background involvement with football. Has spent time at Harps and Derry as fitness coach (as far as I'm aware) in the past, has spent time at Celtic, in the Chinese Super League, and USL Championship in America.

Just because Cretaro and Higgins played the game professionally, it doesn't make them automatically more qualified.

Many a lad has worked at the corner shop and gone on to be a manager of a Tesco.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Never suggested as much. Just clarifying that McGuinness does have a background involvement with football. Has spent time at Harps and Derry as fitness coach (as far as I'm aware) in the past, has spent time at Celtic, in the Chinese Super League, and USL Championship in America.
    A fitness coach ? That's nowhere near the same as a manager.

Just because Cretaro and Higgins played the game professionally, it doesn't make them automatically more qualified.
    By any objective measure - someone who has played a sport to a higher level is always going to be in a better position to advise on that sport that someone who didn't, and instead played a completely different sport. It's crazy to claim that McGuinness is no less qualified than Higgins, who has played the game professionally his adult life and was also just involved in an international set up too.

Many a lad has worked at the corner shop and gone on to be a manager of a Tesco.
    True to an extent (I wouldn't say it's 'many'). But the vast, vast majority don't. The percentage that do is no doubt miniscule. Out of curiousity - how many people have managed at a high level in football after having had a career almost solely in gaelic games ? I don't mean the like of Martin O'Neill who played a bit of gaelic as a kid and then became a football pro. I mean - how many people have followed the path you're saying Jim Mcguinesses is equally as qualified to take as someone who played football all their life and worked in the international coaching team?
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 26/04/2021 at 6:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Let's put it another way.

Ollie steps down at the end of this season, with harps comfortably mid-table. Looking to push on next season with ambitions of European qualification and the replacement candidates are McGuinness, K McHugh, or Higgsy.
    Who gets the job? and why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    Let's put it another way.

Ollie steps down at the end of this season, with harps comfortably mid-table. Looking to push on next season with ambitions of European qualification and the replacement candidates are McGuinness, K McHugh, or Higgsy.
    Who gets the job? and why?
    Presumably whoever gives the best interview.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Presumably whoever gives the best interview.
    I'm not sure Paul McLoone is any more qualified than McGuinness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123