Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Weekend fixtures 23rd April-24th April

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Whatever the outcome of the penalty decision, there were two glaring examples where the standard of finishing was atrocious last night. Really low quality. How on Earth did Burt miss his chance? Aaron Greene's miss on 34 mins was absolutely appaling though. I'm not saying they are bad players because in many other areas they both had good games, but good god, those misses are the kind of thing that make people say "the league is sh*e". Overall, I thought it was a fairly decent game, and those two incidents don't serve as the description of the overall match, it's just that I see it time and again in LOI matches; the lad's through on goals, and then for whatever reason, blind panic sets in and they pass it in to the keepers arms, or miss an open goal, or pick the outcome with the least possible chance of a goal, due to lack of composure.
    Well they're playing in the League of Ireland for a reason. They miss chances. Burt scored a great goal against Sligo so it's not like he's crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Bottom half of the table seperated by 2 points
    Derry and Longford on 5
    Dundalk and Waterford on 6 and Bohs on 7

Dundalk will obviously pull away and Waterford and Derry look like improving teams, Longford starting to look a bit shaky after that first day win over Derry.
    Good weekend from a Rovers perspective beating Bohs and Sligo droping points, it does show though that its a competitive league this year, everyone is going to drop points even Barcelona of Inchicore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Fully deserved win for Derry. We didn’t have one shot the whole game that I can remember. They scored with the only chance of note really but controlled the game. Joey Ndo on commentary was the real highlight.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    I don't really agree with this tbh. There are awful misses regularly in games at every level. Two of my non-LOI mates text me last night and independently of one another mentioned how enjoyable the game was and how attractive the football was. The football in the LOI is lightyears more attractive than comparable levels in the UK.

Isthmian League?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Fully deserved win for Derry. We didn’t have one shot the whole game that I can remember. They scored with the only chance of note really but controlled the game. Joey Ndo on commentary was the real highlight.
    Our easiest win so far of the season
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Think the commentator said the first shot on target was the 90th minute. Surprised by how poor Sligo were after how they played against us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Waterford v Longford had very much a bottom of the table feel to it. Lots of effort but low on quality. Longford controlled most of the play but couldnt manage a single decent effort on goal. Long hard season ahead for both teams

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Was Magilton in charge for Dundalk this evening?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    He was on the sideline, I couldn't see any sign of the tealady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Was on touchline and Stephen McDonnell shadow coaching!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Was on touchline and Stephen McDonnell shadow coaching!
    UEFA fine incoming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Was Magilton in charge for Dundalk this evening?
    No, Magilton's straight man,Gerry Malone was in charge @ op this evening ;-)

On the game- Dundalk looked brilliant in the 1st half,should have scored more than one before the break with David McMillan,Shields,Zahibo & Han causing all sorts of trouble for Drogs.(Zahibo a bit lucky not to see red at the end of 1st half after he and Phillips had a "coming together"!!)

Drogs re-grouped and were excellent 2nd half but couldn't get the goal that would have drawn the game level despite excellent contributions from Brown,Massey, Murray and Douglas.(Thought Douglas was great for Drogs,was he subbed for an injury or for tactical reasons?)
    Dundalk's 2nd goal was class and you'd be thinking that was that. Drogs came back and scored but in fairness Dundalk seen out the match fairly easily.

It was a decent match but there is still a lot of crazy sh*t going on with Dundalk especcially those unneeded sub changes and tinkering in some positions that were like

13. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    That kid James Brown looks a player for Drogs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well they're playing in the League of Ireland for a reason. They miss chances. Burt scored a great goal against Sligo so it's not like he's crap.
    Fair enough point. Again I just want to reiterate that I don't think of Burt or Greene as bad players. Some great goals scored in our little League too. It's just those two misses, particularly Greene's one were one of the worst I've seen for quite some time. Ironically, the build up play in both instances was lovely. So, there's much to be positive about overall. LOI players miss easy shots really badly sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    DFC tweeted a pic of people gathering behind the Carrick Goal at Oriel - a completely daft thing to do, Subsequently taken down. It should have been a tweet asking fans not to congregate like that. Setting off smoke bombs or flares, drawing attention was pure stupid too. I know Na Gardai attended but Next home game they need to be there to stop this trend from growing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Fair enough point. Again I just want to reiterate that I don't think of Burt or Greene as bad players. Some great goals scored in our little League too. It's just those two misses, particularly Greene's one were one of the worst I've seen for quite some time. Ironically, the build up play in both instances was lovely. So, there's much to be positive about overall. LOI players miss easy shots really badly sometimes.
    Werner cost £50 million and he missed an open goal for Chelsea yesterday. They were both terrible misses but they happen like, particularly at this level.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Could Werner get it done on a cold night in The Carlisle Grounds? I think not.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Werner has shown he can't do it on a warm night in London.
    To assess a league based on the chances missed is just ignorant in the extreme.
    David McGoldrick has his own lowlight reel of open goals he missed just this season alone for Sheffield Utd in the EPL, it doesn't mean he belongs in the LOI 1st division.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    No, Magilton's straight man,Gerry Malone was in charge @ op this evening ;-)

On the game- Dundalk looked brilliant in the 1st half,should have scored more than one before the break with David McMillan,Shields,Zahibo & Han causing all sorts of trouble for Drogs.(Zahibo a bit lucky not to see red at the end of 1st half after he and Phillips had a "coming together"!!)

Drogs re-grouped and were excellent 2nd half but couldn't get the goal that would have drawn the game level despite excellent contributions from Brown,Massey, Murray and Douglas.(Thought Douglas was great for Drogs,was he subbed for an injury or for tactical reasons?)
    Dundalk's 2nd goal was class and you'd be thinking that was that. Drogs came back and scored but in fairness Dundalk seen out the match fairly easily.

It was a decent match but there is still a lot of crazy sh*t going on with Dundalk especcially those unneeded sub changes and tinkering in some positions that were like
    Hear you on Douglas, some substitutions have me perplexed at times this year combined with very late substitutions.
    Drogheda United in this together

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    DFC tweeted a pic of people gathering behind the Carrick Goal at Oriel - a completely daft thing to do, Subsequently taken down. It should have been a tweet asking fans not to congregate like that. Setting off smoke bombs or flares, drawing attention was pure stupid too. I know Na Gardai attended but Next home game they need to be there to stop this trend from growing.
    Yeah how dare they have a good time. Should think of granny, tsk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast