Thread: 15 Years to the day

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

15 Years to the day

Here

Most guys on here would have some interesting stories about this day 15 years ago. Was anyone there? Would you care to share what you remember of that day??
    Resign, now!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I was going to post the same thing at 2.06pm on 12th June (17th anniversary of Stuttgart) but I was on holidays!

Things I remember of Genoa:

Nightmare train trip via Milan from Sicily. We arrived in Milan station after a 24+ hours trip in a non-air conditioned carriage only to find that we & about 50 other Irish only had 2 mins to get the next Genoa train. One Irish lad at the ticket office looked behind, took a count, and paid for everyone's ticket to make sure we all made it. He didn't know any of us. We all paid him back on the train. Great moment of cameraderie.

Staying in a lovely seaside town called Nervi. Sitting on the rocks overlooking the mediterranean early morning watching one Aer Lingus plane after another coming in.

Getting the bus to the match with all these desperately poor Romanians stinking of booze with their red, yellow & blue flags with the hole cut out in the middle.

Getting to the game early to get my flag up (an old UCD superlaegue team).

Had great seats right behind the penalty shoot-out goal.

Seeing Liam Brady on the big screen at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris (?) an hour or so before Kick-off. He was working for Italian TV and used to play in that ground for Sampdoria. The whole Irish crowd sang "Liamo Liamo" which brought a biog smile to his face.

Poor game. Hagi was class though. Bonner did well to keep him out on a couple of occasions. I remembered their goalie, Lung, from a Shamrock Rovers vs University Craiova UEFA Cup match at Milltown about 6 years eralier.

Penalties - well everyone remebers that. How did Cascarino's kick go in? All I saw was this big cloud of dust & Lung diving over the ball. Phew! I took a great pic of O'Leary just hitting the ball but I lost it years later. I also remember thinking that Packie had failed to save 8 out of 8 in the SFA Cup Final against Aberdeen only a few weeks earlier. He then was beaten by 4 out of 4. But I think everyone watching sensed Timofte was going to miss. Sheedy's penalty (the first?) - what a kick!

Taking my flag down & meeting a bunch of friends from Wexford who had gone over to it as they knew it was my flag. They had only gone for that game but came back again for Rome (missing a mate's wedding in the North due to "illness"). They also lent me enough money to stay on for Rome

Dancing in the fountain in Genoa until all hours. I sadly also remember a few Irish lads acting the maggot sexually harrassing a female beggar in the town centre. The type of thing you could be sent down for sadly.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 23/06/2005 at 12:16 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    At a friend's little sister's birthday party (I was about 8 at the time). We watched the game in the back garden and when Dave O'Leary scored, we all went out onto the road and everyone started beeping the horns on cars. Not much of a story but what a memory...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    i was eight too and all i remember was all my family watching it and it being the first time we ever watched a football match and i can honestly say that if it wasnt for that match i probably wouldnt be interested in football today because we didnt watch the matches before that and i can remember watching the italy game after that and i was hooked . next game was a friendly against morocco in dalymount with irwin making his debut . great memories

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    At a friend's little sister's birthday party (I was about 8 at the time). We watched the game in the back garden and when Dave O'Leary scored, we all went out onto the road and everyone started beeping the horns on cars. Not much of a story but what a memory...
    snap, was at a mate's bro's bday party and the brother was ripping that his thunder had been stolen so spent the match in the back garden. We went bananas after DOL's peno. He was ripping even more then. But we didn't care. God it was such a nice sunny day here then as well.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I remember reading that the auditions for The Commitments took place during the game. How could they have missed it?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Doing the Leaving that year. I remember eating my dinner in front of the tv during later stages of the game - probably missed first half.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    great memories thinking back to that day. was only 10 at the time and watched it in a friends house. everybody was out on the road straight after oleary scored. It was penalty shoot outs then for the rest of the day and night on the road

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was ten at the time, remember after the penalties absolutely everyone from grannies to kids pouring onto the streets waving flags and with all the cars beeping their horns. I was so proud was that I was wearing the the Irish keepers jersey. Still have never seen anything like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I remember reading that the auditions for The Commitments took place during the game. How could they have missed it?
    Incredible oversight really. Although Roddy Doyle makes up for it with a brillant description of the game in The Snapper.

Does anyone remember a story told on The Late Late a few years ago where a woman was telling her story of her memories of the game. She had to go to a funeral of a local elderly batchelor the day of the match which was thoughtfully scheduled for just after the game. However no one took into account that it might go extra time so after the ninety minutes the mourners grudingly filed into the church. However they were being kept up to date with how the match was going during the funeral. The penalties had finished just before the coffin was being removed from the church and everyone at the funeral knew the result while the coffin was being respectfully put into the hearse. However as the hearse drove off everyone finally let loose and started cheering, jumping up and down and hugging each other. At this point an American tourist, who happened to be passing the church started cheering aswell before turning to the woman and telling her that the Irish had the strangest way of having a funeral he had ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I remember sitting on the couch watching it while wearing the grey Ireland
    goalkeepers top (as seen on Packie in that game)

I was 13 and about 30 seconds after Dave O'Leary netted the winner myself
    and the auld fella were out the back garden having a penalty shoot out!

Classic memory!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    15 at the time, remember hiding behind cushions during the penalties!! Ran outside after it going mental finding every body else doing the same!!

It'll be hard to ever top that one for pure elation.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was twevle...Watched it at home....can't really remember too well...but I think I might have been on me toblerone...Anyhoo couldn't watch the peno's.....I'm not the best nerve wise while watching matches on tv....nerves go to threads..if I'm there its no problem...Ran upstairs to me room and stuck my head the window to here the shouts as the peno's went in...and the longer shout...try 15 years after the last one went in...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=Ash]I remember sitting on the couch watching it while wearing the grey Ireland
    goalkeepers top (as seen on Packie in that game)

QUOTE]

I still have one..its hanging up in front of me. ..they had to change from the original yellow because of the clash of coulous with Romania...Grey has always looked good as the goalkeepers colour for Ireland IMO.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Sad memory really. Had been to the 1st round games in Sicily and Sardinia and intended to go back out to that game but upon my return heard my dad had cancer and only had a month to live. Watched the game with him so the memories are very mixed about Italia 90. I thought the support at the game was a bit muted (at least it came across that way on TV) - perhaps there were a lot of day trippers as many of the Sicily brigade had gone home.

But the words "Bonner saves! Bonner saves!" live on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I was 9, remember watching it, remember the save, and DOL scoring and not a lot else abou the game to be honest!

Ran out onto the main road near my house in Limerick, everyone was on the road screaming and celebrating!!

One story I remember is of a woman who got stuck on O'Connell Street in Dublin, people started jumping on her car, and the guards asked them to move on, and she said they were fine, she was only there to celebrate herself. Great days!

Along with many others on the board, this is when I fell in love with football.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Sorry to hear that Owls Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    I was about 8 at the time
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    i was eight too
    Quote Originally Posted by Magoo
    was at a mate's bro's bday party
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Doing the Leaving that year.
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyjoe
    was only 10 at the time
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    I was ten at the time
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash
    I was 13
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    15 at the time
    Quote Originally Posted by onenilgameover
    I was twevle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin1979
    I was 9

Jaysus, I'm an aul fella. I was just out of college so ideal time for a World Cup.

I had 5 subjects to do in my final year. Some final exams were at Christmas, some were in June. I jeopardised my results by taking 3 subjects at Christmas and only 2 in June just to ensure I had no exams during the soccer. I don't know how I'd have coped if I had to do my leaving that year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onenilgameover
    I still have one..its hanging up in front of me. ..they had to change from the original yellow because of the clash of coulous with Romania...Grey has always looked good as the goalkeepers colour for Ireland IMO.
    My Mam gave it, along with the home jersey, to my cousin when I grew
    out of it. Never forgave her. Deffo the best keepers jersey ever!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    Although Roddy Doyle makes up for it with a brillant description of the game in The Snapper.
    EXCEPT - this is true, check it out - Doyle wrote that Bonner dived to his LEFT to save the penno.

Maybe it changed in later editions. Being the pedant I am it drove me mad

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's a good summary of where people were at at that time. Seems a lot of us were around the same age i.e. 8-12
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I don't know how I'd have coped if I had to do my leaving that year.
    I was just finished 1st year in secondary school but the brother was doing
    the leaving, poor sod.

When my turn was coming around I actually repeated 5th year so my Leaving
    Cert wouldnt clash with USA 94.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast