Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Andrew Omobamidele D Notts Forest b.2002

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    If you want an converted defender, who is physically imposing, good on the ball, has and eye for goal and is actually playing in midfield for his club... boy are you going to be excited when you find out about Bosun Lawal
    Its really not that complicated!!!

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I love the idea of trying the lads in centre mid....but we aren't really all that well off at centre half at the moment! Who is actually fit and in form? O'Shea and Scales? You'd be playing Collins regardless of club form probably or would Omobamidele be in ahead of him?

Would love to see if Lawal could do a job. He looks to have all the ingredients we THINK Collins could have if he changed roles - good ball carrier, strong physical presence, goal threat, passing range. At least that's how his highlight reel looks!
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I love the idea of trying the lads in centre mid....but we aren't really all that well off at centre half at the moment! Who is actually fit and in form? O'Shea and Scales? You'd be playing Collins regardless of club form probably or would Omobamidele be in ahead of him?

Would love to see if Lawal could do a job. He looks to have all the ingredients we THINK Collins could have if he changed roles - good ball carrier, strong physical presence, goal threat, passing range. At least that's how his highlight reel looks!
    Not according to Celtic fans is Scales in form. Getting a lot of negativity from fans on the Celtic forum about his current form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Not according to Celtic fans is Scales in form. Getting a lot of negativity from fans on the Celtic forum about his current form.
    If you weren't an Ireland fan and read this forum you'd think we've never had a player in form ever!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Had a read there. You're spot on.

Thought he was good while I was watching the other day and a Celtic season ticket holder friend really rates him but that's grim reading. That said, certain sections of their fanbase have had the knives out for him for a long time and they are a fairly nervy bunch at the minute!
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I've been watching him and he's been fine. He's not the physical warrior type of CB that fans like. He made some key blocks in the last two live TV games and won a lot in the air on Sunday. Distribution is generally good. I think Celtic fans associate him with slow laboured possession football because he does seem to have the ball at his feet a lot. I think he's missing Hatate who early season was giving him a central midfield outball all the time whereas now his passes are predictable wide passes that don't add much to things. I think if Celtic were winning more regularly he'd be better appreciated. I don't think their careless defeats and draws lately can be attributed to him. Some fans were calling for Nawrocki to return but he's been very careless when in the team. Welsh did a lot better imho.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I've been watching him and he's been fine. He's not the physical warrior type of CB that fans like. He made some key blocks in the last two live TV games and won a lot in the air on Sunday. Distribution is generally good. I think Celtic fans associate him with slow laboured possession football because he does seem to have the ball at his feet a lot. I think he's missing Hatate who early season was giving him a central midfield outball all the time whereas now his passes are predictable wide passes that don't add much to things. I think if Celtic were winning more regularly he'd be better appreciated. I don't think their careless defeats and draws lately can be attributed to him. Some fans were calling for Nawrocki to return but he's been very careless when in the team. Welsh did a lot better imho.

I asked a season ticket holder friend if Scales was getting justified flak and he said - "Celtic fans are fannys". Not quite the level of analysis you've given there Stutts but a similar sentiment.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Celtic fans, especially online, are idiots who think they should be getting players from Barcelona and not the LOI. Some will never take to Scales because hes not a big enough name. All you have to do is see the reaction to Idah when he signed, when Celtic have always had a good record of signing lads from lower divisions and having them do well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    scales is a bit limited though. there is a reason he was on the fringes under "ange". with oshea, collins and omobamidele we're well stacked there. he's probably a 5th choice at cb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    scales is a bit limited though. there is a reason he was on the fringes under "ange". with oshea, collins and omobamidele we're well stacked there. he's probably a 5th choice at cb.
    Disagree completely. Theres not many things I give Rogers credit for this season but bringing in Scales is one of them. Just because the previous manager didnt see it doesnt mean he isnt good enough. Hes also a left sided centerback that the others you listed arent. I like all those 3 but I wouldnt say right now any of them are doing enough to say there are guaranteed ahead of Scales. I do think there is good competition for places though

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    There is a very good reason for that obsession tbf. We have decent players in all sections of the pitch but we are very vulnerable in the middle.
    Collins and or Andy O should be looked at in the middle, not because we want to, but we kind of have too. Josh Cullen needs a good footballer beside him. Collins and Andy O might not work but we know the others aren't working. If we do nothing, then our only hope is a natural midfield player landing on our lap and that seems unlikely at the moment.

As the other posters have said it's worked before.

Personally I'd rather throw an early call up in the direction of a Lawal or an Adeeko rather than start shoe-horning out and out centre backs into midfield. Playing centre backs at full back against stronger teams I can get behind, but if we're planning on playing out from the back any bit at all, centre backs in centre mid isn't going to work, the role is too different to what they're trained to do.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 04/03/2024 at 6:47 PM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Personally I'd rather throw an early call up in the direction of a Lawal or an Adeeko rather than start shoe-horning out and out centre backs into midfield. Playing centre backs at full back against stronger teams I can get behind, but if we're planning on playing out from the back any bit at all, centre backs in centre mid isn't going to work, the role is too different to what they're trained to do.
    To be fair to lawal he was a midfielder when he was at Watford and was been highly regarded and praised by was it troy deeney? Celric seemed to then transition him into centrehalf

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Yes, Deeney thought he was amazing. From what I've heard in Glasgow I don't think he has the concentration levels to ever be a top level centre back. Hopefully this run at Fleetwood signals the end of the centre back experiment for him now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Yes, Deeney thought he was amazing. From what I've heard in Glasgow I don't think he has the concentration levels to ever be a top level centre back. Hopefully this run at Fleetwood signals the end of the centre back experiment for him now.
    So ~ Midfielders can be day-dreamers (wink)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    It should signal the end of it in an Irish shirt at least.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post

Jake O'Brien

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Omobamidele also. I wouldn't say O'Shea has been out of form, just playing in a struggling team. Collins is the only one who is out of form really.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Jake O'Brien
    Worth a look for sure.

Could have quite a few new or newish faces in the next squad if the interim team is brave.

24. Thanks From:

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112