Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Irish Youth Development Structures

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,151 Posts
    He was named for the last squad but pulled out through injury.

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Interesting hearing that our youth is on a par with Belgium. Certainly our youth teams compete well across the ages.

A lot of good points mentioned on the thread and plenty of reasons for hope and concern.
    My gut feeling from what I've observed is that clubs like Shamrock Rovers and Bohs etc having a really good academy is the way forward. A proper pathway for young lads into clubs.

I know a few outstanding players who went to England who became some of the best young players in the academy system over there. I could have told you that none of them would make it to the level they should have because of their attitudes before they left.

A good friend of mine's son is a current youth international and last year, he went on trial to Liverpool a few times and they looked to sign him. He is now with a LOI club. My friend was telling me that the other youth players at Liverpool when they went over were really polite and mannerly and came over to him and his wife to say hello. A few of them England youth internationals but had been at the club since they were tiny. Really down to earth lads who really made his son feel at home. He met Klopp and said he was an absolute gent, but was really emphasising to his son the importance of study etc... My mate made the point that there's a good few big time Charlies lads in the national team with his son and they really could learn a bit from how they conduct themselves off the pitch from the lads at Liverpool and some of the other English clubs that were looking to sign his lad. They have conveyor belts of lads who would do anything to play for them, so acting the ****** is rarely tolerated like it might at our elite schoolboy clubs.

4. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123