Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Qatar v Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 30th March 2021 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero
    is there a way to block an individual poster on this site?
    I'm sorry Zero. Please don't hit the block button. If my posts are so offensive that they are ruining your use of the forum, then I'll go back to hibernation, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram
    Here's a hint for you - Its not for you or anyone else to prescribe what other people think of other people's post. This is a discussion forum. If YOU disagree with a post then YOU say so and back up YOUR OWN argument accordingly.
    to be fair to Snapshot, he's justified in that line - I did ask for it with my own post.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot
    Your main points in a monumental post, as I see them, are as follows:
    There's a hint there as to why others may not take your opinions seriously.
    I'm well used to not being taken seriously, so that's fine with me. I'm very secure in my own opinion - which I've bored people to death with, my post was merely trying to show that I can see both sides of the argument for/against SK, and that the debatable points aren't black and white - they are a whole spectrum of greys and creams.
    I don't agree with those who blame him for all our ills, but I can appreciate the people who take the time to put that message into writing/posting.
    Last edited by John83; 16/04/2021 at 2:45 PM. Reason: Please use multiquote when replying to multiple posts
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Perhaps, we might as well go the Michael O’Neill route with Kenny. He turned it around after been very bad for quite a while !

Can we afford to do anything else and have we any good alternative. Ok, it may not work but sure there must have been plenty of people thinking the same about Michael O’Neill !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    we'll be playing like Brazil 1970 at the upcoming major championships.
    we're already there.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Woah there. That's a huge statement. And I would argue it's nonsense too. Smaller countries than us are doing way, way better.

Improving things at underage absolutely can and will improve things. The Miguel Delaney article I've linked a number of times indicates this. You don't have to agree with it, but you really should provide some sort of argument behind a point as sweeping as that.
    I was a bit vague, I thought what was in my mind was pretty obvious :P What I mean is we're a small country, we can have the best underage structures providing the best possible coaching, and having really well drilled and football educated youngsters coming through, but we're never going to be able produce the talent to have a consistent number of international stars. I don't mean world class players here, I mean players playing consistently at the top end of the big leagues - lets hope the emphasis is moving away from Premier League only. The game is far too global, too big now, for us to be able produce the number of players consistently that we can have 11 top 10 , of the European leagues playing at any one time.

This is in no way saying we shouldn't be aiming to have the best coaching and structures in place.

**I hope this doesnt become a talent V natural ability debate.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 16/04/2021 at 2:48 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Posher - ingredients do not make a recipe - alternative reality insight right there.
    You need to crack a few eggs to make an omellete. Just don't crack mine.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I was a bit vague, I thought what was in my mind was pretty obvious :P What I mean is we're a small country, we can have the best underage structures providing the best possible coaching, and having really well drilled and football educated youngsters coming through, but we're never going to be able produce the talent to have a consistent number of international stars.
    I disagree. Smaller countries than us have great teams. Croatia are the obvious example. Portugal too. Even Iceland are doing much better than us with what - 7% of the population?

Yeah, we'll have a limit in the long-term, but there's no reason we shouldn't have players ready to step up whenever needed.

(I don't buy the "But the GAA/rugby" excuse. Other countries have other sports too)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Here's a hint for you - Its not for you or anyone else to prescribe what other people think of other people's post. This is a discussion forum. If YOU disagree with a post then YOU say so and back up YOUR OWN argument accordingly.
    My post used a simple style device to highlight what I consider Kingdom's fanciful endorsement of Stephen Kenny. His measured reply is a few posts above. Ironically, your testy intervention renders you guilty of that which you accuse me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Back on topic please, the Qatar game, the performance, and the result - remember, attack the post, not the poster
    This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just a general reminder of the forum rules.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Average seems to be around 30% - BBC(29%), SkySports(28.8%), Guardian(36%). Still terrible, but we had a gameplan to make the best use of the possession that we did have.
    Under Kenny, we've had the majority of the possession against Luxembourg(63%-37%) Bulgaria at home(58-42) and away(62.3-37.7), Wales home(50.4%-49.6%) and away(51%-49%), and Finland at home(53.1%-47.9%). We scored one goal in total in those games. Against Serbia and Qatar, we had 44% and 45% of possession, respectively, and scored three goals. Should he set his teams up to make better use of the ball when we do have it with a more direct style of play?

Well, yeah. People have different opinions of managers who win games and qualify for tournaments to those that don't.
    weve got to keep this fellow as long as the covid situation is on. The irish public dont deserve this fellow, this is a result sport, I keep my words give this guy a 20 match tryout and then decide. The world cup qualies are over with that Lux result. ugly ugly and he is the only responsible for that because he sets the team strategy etc.

If we dont have the players yet just make two lines of 4 guys a 10 and a 9, the senior players will resign the ones like Coleman and James McCarthy.
    All the choices he took were awful. The only one that worked was in one match Doherty as center back he played really good.

Long showed he should have started before Idah and the other guys.
    O'shea is one I would try as center midfielder I think he would blossom there he has the height and all the attributes to play as a holding midfielder.

I cant type anymore, as your Kerr said on tv we cant keep on losing points and matches

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Which of the midfielders against Serbia would you have replaced with O'Shea? Bearing in mind that O'Shea was playing in defence at the time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Which of the midfielders against Serbia would you have replaced with O'Shea? Bearing in mind that O'Shea was playing in defence at the time.
    I already said my team if everyone is available.

Randolph
    Coleman
    Egan
    Doherty
    Stevens
    James Mc Carthy
    Dara o'Shea
    Connor Ronan
    Robinson
    Long
    Connolly (Maybe Manning there)

Kelleher
    Sean McDermott
    Lee O Connor
    Duffy
    lenihan
    Clark
    Cunningham
    K.Long
    Brady
    Hendrick
    McClean
    Cullen
    Molumby
    Knight
    Browne
    McGrath
    mcgeady
    Scully
    horgan
    gallagher
    odowda
    hourihanen
    Collins
    Idah
    Parrott

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Probably cheating to put that many players out on the pitch at one time tbh

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    It might come to that if we're ever going to win again. I'd still drop McClean though.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Probably cheating to put that many players out on the pitch at one time tbh
    No, iam just saying my eleven. The others are reserves from the full squad. I like 3 at the back but we need some creativity there that we are lacking in midfield, that spark.

I am not afraid of playing players in different positions smart players can play two or 3 different poisitions on the pitch.

----------------Randolph-----------------------

Coleman------Egan-----Doherty-----Stevens

---------Dara O'Shea----James Mc---------

Robinson----------Ronan-----------Connolly/Manning

---------------Shane Long-----------------------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Thread locked and archived
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516