Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Qatar v Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 30th March 2021 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Was Hogan discarded too early? Clutching at even more straws I suppose!
    I don’t think so Stutts - that goes down as one of your blind spots, as much as Idah goes down as one of mine ��
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It's certainly indicative of the problems we have up front at the moment. We can't buy a goal. Long was never a great goalscorer, though 17 for the national team is half-decent. Robinson offers little that I've seen. Connolly and Parrott would in usual times be still with the 21s developing, as would Idah if he weren't injured. Curtis and Collins aren't great at international level. Maguire started well for Preston but hasn't kicked on. And that's our choice. It's really not great. And if you can't score, you're in trouble before you start.
    That’s it in a nutshell. I suppose a positive take is that Connolly idah and Parrot to a lesser extent are cutting their teeth at the same time, and doing so when there is a paucity of options, so aren’t being singled out or isolated as being ****e.

Robinson has looked more like a creator than a goalscorer, but likewise isn’t getting the ball in good enough positions to justify continued inclusion in the stsrting 11. If anything he’s included because we haven’t found a proper reliable solution to that attacking right position - whether it’s wide as part of a 3, or just behind the 9.

I really dislike him as a creative player, but one thing you have to hand to James McClean is that he hits the back of the net with regularity in relation to the chances created for him. If we’re not playing a system where we are whipping balls into the box, and are engaging with an aggressive high press, I wouldn’t be against trying him centrally in the absence of other options . Appreciate that’s a bit off-the-wall or irrational though.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    That’s it in a nutshell. I suppose a positive take is that Connolly idah and Parrot to a lesser extent are cutting their teeth at the same time, and doing so when there is a paucity of options, so aren’t being singled out or isolated as being ****e.
    Well, Parrott was being singled out as ****e earlier in this very thread

But yeah, I think there's an element of trying to see these guys - and I'd add the four keepers incl Kelleher in there - as being ahead of where they actually are in their development, and it can lead to frustration when they're then off the pace.

You cannae polish a turd, as they say. But all these guys have potential - some will fall away, but we should start seeing 3 or 4 very solid options there shortly, and then results will start to improve.

It's the factor that's swinging me (just about) in favour of keeping Kenny for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I watched the game late today. I haven't gone through the thread. I haven't fully made my mind up on what I actually think, but I have one thought that's front and center.... we have probably created more chances in the last 3 games than the entire last campaign. Can some of these players start putting the effin ball in the effin net FFS.

Yeah Kenny might be the wrong man but it's getting ridiculous now the amount of great chances players are missing
    In the 3 games we created 21 chances, that includes shots on and off target. In Micks last game vs Denmark we created 18 chances. The recency bias is strong.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Robinson has looked more like a creator than a goalscorer, but likewise isn’t getting the ball in good enough positions to justify continued inclusion in the stsrting 11. If anything he’s included because we haven’t found a proper reliable solution to that attacking right position - whether it’s wide as part of a 3, or just behind the 9.

I really dislike him as a creative player, but one thing you have to hand to James McClean is that he hits the back of the net with regularity in relation to the chances created for him. If we’re not playing a system where we are whipping balls into the box, and are engaging with an aggressive high press, I wouldn’t be against trying him centrally in the absence of other options . Appreciate that’s a bit off-the-wall or irrational though.
    I don't see Idah, Parrott, Molumby, Travers, Connolly, Manning, Knight, Browne, Byrne, Obafemi or Coventry having EPL careers. At best, like Hourihane - they're nearly but not quite. Yet these formed the Golden Generation on which, apparently, a new era would be built. It's now possible that within three years we'll be an EPL-free zone. Also worrying, given our current historic low, is that no half-decent granny-ruler would waste a second thought on becoming Irish. Rice, Grealish and even Bamford must be very relieved they dodged the green bullet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    In the 3 games we created 21 chances, that includes shots on and off target. In Micks last game vs Denmark we created 18 chances. The recency bias is strong.
    I'd like to see your source for these values - I make it 28 and 15:
    11 V Qatar: https://www.skysports.com/football/q...d/stats/441509
    11 V Luxembourg: https://www.skysports.com/football/r...g/stats/441552
    6 V Serbia: https://www.skysports.com/football/s...d/stats/441530

15 V Denmark: https://www.skysports.com/football/r...k/stats/403437
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I dont agree with knight. He will have an excellent premier league career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    1st half: Hourihane, Browne, McGoldrick*, Duffy missed header, (3/4)
    2nd half: Hourihane cross*, Clark missed header*, McGoldrick swivel on penonspot, Doherty goal (2/4)

8 arguable potential chances, 4/5 actual chances.

https://youtu.be/yTGXnXkR3ZM

We all know you don’t like Kenny, and that you’d prefer someone else. No problem.
    Nobody argues that the perfect against Denmark was good. No problem.
    But don’t be pulling nonsense stats out of your jacksy. Be fair to yourself and to us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I don't see Idah, Parrott, Molumby, Travers, Connolly, Manning, Knight, Browne, Byrne, Obafemi or Coventry having EPL careers. At best, like Hourihane - they're nearly but not quite. Yet these formed the Golden Generation on which, apparently, a new era would be built. It's now possible that within three years we'll be an EPL-free zone. Also worrying, given our current historic low, is that no half-decent granny-ruler would waste a second thought on becoming Irish. Rice, Grealish and even Bamford must be very relieved they dodged the green bullet.
    I guess we’re ****ed so.
    We’ll just pack it in? Or
    Maybe the EPL doesn’t have to be the stick that we measure our squad on.

And unfortunately your use of Golden Generation is probably symptomatic of a bigger problem we face, in that we only expect one decent crop of youth players a generation, and hope that a couple breakthrough, and that we supplement these players onto “granny-rulers”.

We hopefully will be looking at pulling 3/3 players every second crop into the senior squad, regardless of where they ply their trade.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 31/03/2021 at 10:15 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    I guess we’re ****ed so.
    We’ll just pack it in? Or
    Maybe the EPL doesn’t have to be the stick that we measure our squad on.

And unfortunately your use of Golden Generation is probably symptomatic of a bigger problem we face, in that we only expect one decent crop of youth players a generation, and hope that a couple breakthrough, and that we supplement these players onto “granny-rulers”.

We hopefully will be looking at pulling 3/3 players every second crop into the senior squad, regardless of where they ply their trade.
    You must have been very disappointed with Jack Charlton's modus operandi. Whether we like it or not, the EPL is the yardstick for most. If John Giles says our schoolboy set-up and supply chain is in tatters, I tend to believe him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Put your bias aside and read what I said. I’ve granny-rulers in quotes because, in my eyes they aren’t granny rulers, they are Irish qualified players.
    I’ve no truck with players not born in Ireland playing for us. I’ve no truck with players born in Ireland who don’t want to play for us, who might not consider themselves Irish. Such is life.
    If I’d the time, I’d love to do a breakdown of what players playing European international football play in the PL.
    I’m not going to even address the Giles comment. If that’s the basis for some of your positions, I know that
    A- it’s a waste of my time
    B- Irish football doesn’t stand a chance of any kind of reform.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 31/03/2021 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    You must have been very disappointed with Jack Charlton's modus operandi. Whether we like it or not, the EPL is the yardstick for most. If John Giles says our schoolboy set-up and supply chain is in tatters, I tend to believe him.
    while giles may be correct, do you really believe that his view is based on any research?
    If it cant be tied back to his Leeds team of the 70s then he is lost.

He named his preferred team on OTB last week. I stopped counting when he hit what seemed like his 14th player!

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I counted up all on target and off target shots. Not shots that hit the first man. 7 vs Qatar, 7 vs Luxembourg, 5 vs Serbia. 19 from Sky Sport. I got the Ireland Denmark stats from ESPN. https://www.espn.com/soccer/match?gameId=529038

I seem to have my matches mixed up. It was 10 shots in the home game vs Denmark. I apologise.
    Last edited by weldoninhio; 31/03/2021 at 11:46 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    while giles may be correct, do you really believe that his view is based on any research?
    If it cant be tied back to his Leeds team of the 70s then he is lost.

He named his preferred team on OTB last week. I stopped counting when he hit what seemed like his 14th player!
    His John Giles Foundation would have been involved. Your Leeds comment is nonsense. As for your second point, Giles may stumble occasionally with stats and names but he's still very sound of mind at near 80.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 31/03/2021 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    His John Giles Foundation would have been involved. Your Leeds comment is nonsense. As for your second point, Giles may stumble occasionally with stats and names but he's still very sound of mind at near 80.
    exactly how deeply is he involved with the Foundation?
    Did you read champagne football and its references to same?
    Even last week in a discussion about the Irish team he kept making references to the Leeds team of the 70s and the slightly later Forest team with Martin O'Neill in it. It was irrelevant, but its his comfort zone.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    exactly how deeply is he involved with the Foundation?
    Did you read champagne football and its references to same?
    Even last week in a discussion about the Irish team he kept making references to the Leeds team of the 70s and the slightly later Forest team with Martin O'Neill in it. It was irrelevant, but its his comfort zone.
    You are probably alluding to The Stand where he spoke with Eamon Dunphy about recent Ireland defeats. He made short and relevant reference to the effectiveness of John Robertson and Martin O'Neill at Forest and, briefly, wingers at Leeds when suggesting James MacLean should face Qatar. It proved accurate. His Leeds references are occasional and not constant.

I don't know what his current input is at JGF. There's a Dunphy interview about it in his archive - look it up if you're interested. Champagne Football attracted controversy and litigation. Giles deals with it in another Dunphy interview - you should check that out too.

If you find the viewpoint of probably our greatest footballer dated and flawed - don't tune in. There are myriad talking heads from the current era on ubitiquous football shows and podcasts spouting, shouting and spoofing. Keep a puke bowl nearby.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I think Knight will be a very good premier league player in the coming years. I think Collins and O'Shea will be very decent premier league defenders in the coming years. I expect Kelleher and Bazunu to both reach a high level. Both are exceptionally talented for their age. Goalkeeping is a cruel business. I rate Alisson as arguably the best keeper in the world and for a number of weeks this season, he looked like a poor league 2 standard keeper. All keepers have their bad spells and it will be how those two can bounce back that will indicate how far they can go.

Parrott is the key for me. I have seen a lot of him and he was a world class 16 or 17 year old. Right now, he looks a reasonably talented 19 year old. Because of the hype and perhaps concerns about his friends, I would be concerned he won't be the great white hope that we thought he would be. He does look shy of confidence so maybe a goal or two and the love of a fanbase could kickstart it for him. With him, my feeling is he will either be a very good pl player or be playing at a very low level. I just don't see an inbetween with him. Fingers crossed he isn't this generation's Stokes.

Idah has the attributes to be a very good player. He is injured a lot which has put a stop to his gallop. He's at a good club though. My gut says he will be a high level championship striker for most of his career but he could have a spell where he gets into the premier league for a good period. Connolly hasn't really kicked on. His attitude is very poor off the pitch and he is a bit of a confidence player. If he knuckles down, he could be a bottom 6-8 pl striker averaging about 6-10 goals a season. That would mean he would be international class against most teams and would certainly be important for us. By all accounts, he's a gob****e so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Not sure what the craic is with Obafemi this season. I've seen glimpses of real talent but he is injured a lot and there seems to be question marks about his temperament at Southampton. He could drop down the divisions fast.

Manning looks like he might be a finge pl player but probably have a solid championship career for the most part. Nothing wrong with that I guess.

Travers is unlikely to have a career higher than league 1 in the long run imo. The others are mostly in his category.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yes, and nothing I saw in the two games has really changed my mind of that.

The three rushes of blood - coming to the corner of the box against Luxembourg, and clobbering the Qatar guy outside the box and coming to the edge of the box to drop the ball - were all in the howler category for me. They could very easily have cost goals - that they didn't was nothing to do with him - and they were the sort of things that would put the jitters into your own defence (look at them later on calling him to claim a ball; that's very unusual and maybe indicates a lack of confidence in him, coupled with a welcome willingness to help him along). The two horrible passes out of defence - one in each game - are a lesser category of error. Stutts flagged a positioning error from a free against Luxembourg too. Maybe Dean Kiely as coach would note a smaller positioning error for both goals - which were similar in a way; low drives from 20 yards to the right - but certainly it would be harsh to blame him for either.

But the thing is, he's playing for Rochdale - they're a professional football team and as such it's a decent level. You have to have a lot of stuff right about you to be playing there - you have to have a base level of reflexes, etc. But there's a gap up to the top, and that's why I think with a keeper you have to highlight the rushes of blood, because it's what defines that gap. Arguably we were a bit lucky Qatar didn't threaten much after their equaliser or we may have seen more misjudgements.

Yes, he's 19 and is a big prospect. But there is no way you can conclude his performance from last night in particular was a plus. For me, it was a Kevin Kilbane in Iceland performance (and we know what happened him after that). And there's no harm in being rational about the performance and pointing that out. If it were an opposition keeper, we'd rightly be highlighting it.

Portugal away is six months away and he'll learn a lot between now and then. But I'd be terrified of him in nets for that game. The big goalkeeping pity of the last week is that we didn't get to see Kelleher in nets.
    Again I think you went looking for what you wanted to see. As did I of course.

You bring up the fact that he is playing at Rochdale as if he is some 30 year old journeyman who has found his level - he's 19 and on loan from Man City for his development.

As for howlers, if a keeper coming to claim a high ball on the edge of his box, having the IQ to take his hands out right on the line and then calmly pass it off to a green shirt is a howler, I'll have more of the same. It was nervy maybe but not anywhere close to howler territory. Sure he got the ball. Howlers are balls slipping through the legs and dropped in the box.

His major error was the penalty shout/dive on the edge of the box around 6 minutes in. It was bad and he had no business being out there. I've absolutely no doubt that he isn't studying the tape back and learning from it. It's also worth noting that he made an absolutely world class save from the resulting set piece.

Overall his distribution ranged from pin point to risky but he was solid under the ball and made some comfortable saves. He also had all the long range efforts covered that any good keeper would. The one that got past would have been an unreal save had he kept it out.

If you're judging him as the potential finished article I could see your points but he's 19. Maybe you're only reacting to overly positive reports? He will learn every time he makes a mistake. I watched him as a 16 year old for Rovers. He kept Alan Mannus out of the team for critical games in the league and in Europe. You know all this I think. He's the most naturally talented and mentally focused player I've seen in the LoI at that age. Give him a bit of time. The whole team are learning how to play with a keeper who doesn't lump it long first time.

On the game itself a lot has been made in certain areas of it being a better performance because Kenny turned to the more senior players. I wouldn't agree. What we've been missing hasn't been the sort of play Hendrick brings, it was Horgan and arguably Christie who were giving us two things we missed - 1. an option on the right and 2. some degree of forward, creative link up play in the final third. We just don't have anyone to finish a chance. If only we had 3 or 4 decent young options up top as we seem to in nets.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I didnt look at the stats, Im just going by my eye test. Under Mick it felt at times we were never going to create a chance let alone score. Under Kenny it feels like we are creating a ton of chances and not taking them.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Again I think you went looking for what you wanted to see. As did I of course.
    Nope. I'm just calling it as I see it.

You bring up the fact that he is playing at Rochdale as if he is some 30 year old journeyman who has found his level - he's 19 and on loan from Man City for his development.
    I've repeatedly acknowledged that he's 19 and on loan for development. And right now, in that context, he's on loan at Rochdale and conceding two goals a game.

As for howlers, if a keeper coming to claim a high ball on the edge of his box, having the IQ to take his hands out right on the line and then calmly pass it off to a green shirt is a howler
    I'll have to disagree on this one tbh (and with Stutts, and it's rare for me to disagree so much with a fellow keeper!). I don't think he could have been sure when committing to coming for the ball that dropping it was safe. I'm not entirely sure he didn't collide into his own player and lose control of the ball either. I don't think he should have come for it full stop. And coupled with the other rushes of blood - the foul early on, and the instance v Luxembourg - you can see how a pattern starts to emerge. For me, it's three instances in two games where for long spells we weren't under huge pressure.

The one that got past would have been an unreal save had he kept it out.
    I don't think it would have been an unreal save. I think it would have been a very good save - but there's keepers there who'd have saved it. It was a good two feet inside the post for example. Was his starting point a step too much to the left? I don't know. I certainly don't blame him for the goal, but I don't think it would have been an unreal save had he kept it out.

If you're judging him as the potential finished article I could see your points but he's 19.
    But this is the point. In the context of him playing international football right now, of course I'm judging his current ability. I know he's not the finished article, of course, but my point then becomes that I think he shouldn't be in the side until he's a stronger player. I've no doubt he'll become a stronger player, probably over the next 12 months. But right now, I think on balance, he's not ready.

I watched him as a 16 year old for Rovers.
    It's interesting that his most vocal defenders seem to all be Rovers fans. I think there's a bit of a bias there to be honest. Which I can understand; I've the same bias for Conor Sammon in an Ireland jersey.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast