Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Ireland Manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Yeah, he already came out of retirement to take the Norwegian job - unlikely to be interested in going again at 73.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    An awful lot of names being bandied about. So what is the goal of a new manager if and when he comes? Get us more organized and stop the slide of defeats/draws? But will he be able to qualify Ireland for the next Euros? Is that an unachievable goal with the current squad? As soon as the window of qualification closes he will be the next managerial casualty. And then the clamour will be for us to play more constructive football (a la what SK is doing now). Vicious circle.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    I'd settle for a manager who can keep us from finishing bottom of the group. I don't think people realize the long term implications in terms of seeding when discussing the disaster that is our current managerial situation.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    An awful lot of names being bandied about. So what is the goal of a new manager if and when he comes? Get us more organized and stop the slide of defeats/draws? But will he be able to qualify Ireland for the next Euros? Is that an unachievable goal with the current squad? As soon as the window of qualification closes he will be the next managerial casualty. And then the clamour will be for us to play more constructive football (a la what SK is doing now). Vicious circle.
    I think qualification for EURO 2024 is what we want.
    For the team and the country to play football on the ground, we need to start from the ground up and that might take more time then we have
    in relation to long term planning we need a fully professional league with proper stadia, pros on a minimum of 90k a year and with proper post career opportunities and education n place .

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,258 Posts
    Euro 2024 qualification can't be a realistic target. I think we need to get that out of the way early doors tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Euro 2024 qualification can't be a realistic target. I think we need to get that out of the way early doors tbh.
    of course it is. being one of the 24 out of 55 teams is a realistic target.
    i thinks its fair to expect a decent number of our current crop of younger players to become something.
    no way it can be accepted to write off the next euros

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    I really dont agree. Its 2 automatic places with a NL play off possibility as well.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,258 Posts
    You have seen the current group table for WC qualifying, yep?

You can say we should be ahead of Luxembourg - but we're not - but we're miles behind Serbia and Portugal. Also, we're currently ranked 31 in Europe.

Of course we should be trying to qualify and we should be trying to win all our games, but I wouldn't be coming out and saying qualification is what we want in a new manager.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    You have seen the current group table for WC qualifying, yep?

You can say we should be ahead of Luxembourg - but we're not - but we're miles behind Serbia and Portugal. Also, we're currently ranked 31 in Europe.

Of course we should be trying to qualify and we should be trying to win all our games, but I wouldn't be coming out and saying qualification is what we want in a new manager.
    I would. I think you are being too kind to Kenny. A new manager could easily have us in the mix. He hasnt done a good job. One of the lads was saying that under Kenny our competitive top scorer is shane Duffy. So for all the horse **** about pretending we can be xavi and pirlo. at the end of the day it was shane duffy our centre half that has possibly kept him in a job with set piece goals.

13. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    of course it is. being one of the 24 out of 55 teams is a realistic target.
    i thinks its fair to expect a decent number of our current crop of younger players to become something.
    no way it can be accepted to write off the next euros
    Of course it can't. It seems like some are buying into the Kenny bullsh1t. Results don't matter, it's about building for the future. That's complete nonsense. He's already failed to qualify for the euros, had a dreadful Nations league and has us bottom and out of World Cup qualification. All this with little to no encouraging signs on the pitch. No matter who we appoint as the next manager, they can't possibly do worse than Kenny has done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    We are still in League B so we will probably get into the playoffs anyway for 2024. Nobody from League A or B was left out last time. I think with that in mind I think its an ideal time to give a manager a good amount of time.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I would. I think you are being too kind to Kenny. A new manager could easily have us in the mix. He hasnt done a good job. One of the lads was saying that under Kenny our competitive top scorer is shane Duffy. So for all the horse **** about pretending we can be xavi and pirlo. at the end of the day it was shane duffy our centre half that has possibly kept him in a job with set piece goals.
    I don't think we've bottomed out under Kenny yet. John83 did a stat yesterday which showed our Elo rating under Kenny was 1483 - that would have us 41st in Europe. So saying that we're ranked 31st now is like looking at a Premier League team in, say, 12th but on a run of eight defeats in a row and freefall towards relegation - you're hoping the a manager can get them back up to 12th. That's the way I view things at the moment.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    As you know, football is a funny old game. First game in the euro 24 qualifiers goes our way and boom the country gets behind BigSams army!@!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    There’s definitely blood in the water with all the posts on here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    We are still in League B so we will probably get into the playoffs anyway for 2024. Nobody from League A or B was left out last time. I think with that in mind I think its an ideal time to give a manager a good amount of time.
    Qualifying format isn't confirmed yet, but 10 UEFA qualifying groups, 20 spots based on your group finish. That leaves 3 spots to be contested - so something different has to happen compared to 2020 qualifying. I guess that UEFA could be guaranteed that all NL A teams will qualify automatically, which would mean you would only have to provide 3 spots for leagues B, C & D. You could allow for only 9 runner's up qualifying automatically and hope that one of the big boys doesn't have a calamity (Uefa thinking not mine).
    Then you would have playoffs as per last time between each NL group winner (or next best ranked).

Bosnia, Finland, Ireland, Armenia. That's a potential NL group for us. Could we top it? Yes, in some fantasy land world where players have developed further, and or a new manager is in place with a different tactical plan, yes. So a play off is absolutely possible. As per the calendar, play-off games would likely one off affairs.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    There was a a report leaked last year, it was a survey about wages in EFL clubs around England.

I think the average salary for managers in the championship was £878,000 a year, League 1 was £182,000 a year, and League 2 was £80,000.

Surely there's a manager in League 1 with, firstly, a good few years in the English system where they are able to hold their own, and secondly, a decent track record of bringing young players through and turning them into decent players. Obviously it won't be an amazing managerial record, but a decent record.

That would be a clear improvement over Kenny in my opinion, and doesn't have to break the bank at all.
    Last edited by osarusan; 06/09/2021 at 7:10 PM.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Here's the list of managers in the EPL and EFL. By default it's ordered by length of time at their current club, but if you click on 'Division' it'll reorder starting with EPL. You can scroll down to the list of League 1 managers (still ordered by length of time at the club).

EDIT: forgot link! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eague_managers

Paul Cook is one name I'd be happy enough with from that list. Not doing too well with Ipswich right now, but has been around a while, has League 2 (twice) and League 1 titles under his belt, has something of an Irish connection and an understanding of the the domestic scene.
    Last edited by osarusan; 06/09/2021 at 8:44 PM.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Here's the list of managers in the EPL and EFL. By default it's ordered by length of time at their current club, but if you click on 'Division' it'll reorder starting with EPL. You can scroll down to the list of League 1 managers (still ordered by length of time at the club).

Paul Cook is one name I'd be happy enough with from that list. Not doing too well with Ipswich right now, but has been around a while, has League 2 (twice) and League 1 titles under his belt, has something of an Irish connection and an understanding of the the domestic scene.
    Any sligo rovers fans here, re the rumour that he left loads of bar and restaurant tabs unpaid after he left? It could be nonsense but have heard it more than once

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I’d actually stick with Kenny for a bit yet, but if he does go I’d like to see Eddie Howe in the conversation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

I'm guessing you meant to include this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eague_managers
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

29. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast