Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Ireland Manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    Van Gaal then, any particular reason you cant see it? I can think of one obvious one i have to say.
    He's the current Dutch manager, having been recently appointed, so he's unavailable. They had to ask him out of retirement to do it. He's 70. We're not his home country, so he may be less amenable to working here over sitting on a beach somewhere warm with his credit card behind the bar. He's likely to be out of our budget even if all of that were resolved. He was perceived as having Manchester United playing for sterile possession in his last club job, which was five years ago, so his weakness as a manager may be in exactly the place we can least afford it. Just off the top of my head.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    “ It’s a long way to Louis Van Gaal, It’s a long way to go ~ ~ Especially when you ain’t got No Dough "

4. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    His Holland side did beat Turkey 6-1 last night, so he probably still has something left in him as a manager at least!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    He's the current Dutch manager, having been recently appointed, so he's unavailable. They had to ask him out of retirement to do it. He's 70. We're not his home country, so he may be less amenable to working here over sitting on a beach somewhere warm with his credit card behind the bar. He's likely to be out of our budget even if all of that were resolved. He was perceived as having Manchester United playing for sterile possession in his last club job, which was five years ago, so his weakness as a manager may be in exactly the place we can least afford it. Just off the top of my head.
    Yes the fact he is currently the manager of the Netherlands, with a far better squad and probably quadruple the salary would appear to rule him out as a potential Ireland manager. So why are posters suggesting he is an option? On what planet is this a possibility? We are not in this world anymore. The next manager will be an up and coming manager who we can hopefully spot early, or a manager who can't get a decent gig in the championship but still has good brand value with a large enough portion of the irish public.

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    His Holland side did beat Turkey 6-1 last night, so he probably still has something left in him as a manager at least!
    A bit of a wander here but sure ~ ~ Turkey were very poor at the Euros = = And when you consider they have had some good teams in recent years that is a bit of a fall back.

I would say they were the second best team at the World Cup in 2002 ( ok, thats back a bit ) but there present team is pretty poor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Van Gaal then, any particular reason you cant see it? I can think of one obvious one i have to say.

he's dutch.. no connection. not especially interesting football wise. no particular reputation for bringing youth in.

For me carsley is the man to go for. irish international, smart, trained in coaching at international level. has u-21 experience now so has an eye on the development.

after last night I think it's clear SK gets this campaign. as someone else said, can't afford to sack him and what else will be achieved by doing that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I should have said 'elements within the pro SK camp'. There have been a few that have said they'd like him to stay on for the euro campaign which implies a contract extension. I certainly wouldn't advocate getting rid of him until his contract is up unless there's a very compelling reason to i.e. a manager we want becomes available and is keen.
    I'm certainly grateful when a poster puts effort into his opinion or offers decent clarity. fair play on that.

One of the problems at the moment, around the discussion on the Irish coaching ticket, is interpretations and perceptions. Your post unintentionally does that. The Euro campaign implies the UEFA 2024 qualifying group we're drawn into, which starts March 2023 (i think). However, in my mind the NL is the start of the 2024 Euros campaign, as it provides a route to qualifying for a major tournament. So in this regard, and this interpretation, I absolutely want Kenny to start the next Euros campaign, but that isn't a contract extension. I've made that very clear in a post last week- the NL campaign is broken up into pre- and post-summer 2022 matches (4 & 2 respectively). Which coincides nicely with SK's contract ending, provides sufficient time to evaluate, and if not renewing that contract, sufficient time for a new manager to have to unearth those gems that everyone seems to think are lurking around undiscovered, or to build with the squad which SK has developed.

Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    A question I've wondered about, with the hindsight of the last year and everything surrounding all those affected - players, management, the FAI:
    ignoring the "craic" of making a finals from a social perspective - given the quality of the vast majority of games, and the standard of players involved, was missing EURO 2020 the best thing for us.

i'm approaching this from the perspective of Kenny undertaking a rebuilding process, the process not producing the desired results and/or performances that some people are calling for his head for, and a widespread mood of dejection putting serious pressure on all involved. Can anyone imagine how much more pressure there would be had we qualified for and potentially humiliated at Euro 2020?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Its a good question games against Poland and Sweden at home at home with a half full Aviva. They would of found a way to allow fans if we qualified ! We may of raised our game to two scrappy draws and a battering from Spain and went out not humiliated but not setting the world on fire either.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Yes the fact he is currently the manager of the Netherlands, with a far better squad and probably quadruple the salary would appear to rule him out as a potential Ireland manager. So why are posters suggesting he is an option? On what planet is this a possibility? We are not in this world anymore. The next manager will be an up and coming manager who we can hopefully spot early, or a manager who can't get a decent gig in the championship but still has good brand value with a large enough portion of the irish public.
    Agree with this.

With the FAI as broke as they are, the calibre of manager we can hope to attract has come way down, and some of the names being put forward are way out of our league. Somebody described it as a 'busted flush from the UK merry-go-round' or something like that, but that's where they are most likely to come from. And I do think that we can get one who would be an improvement on Kenny, for the money Kenny is on.

My concern is that we end up with somebody Duff or one of the Keanes, who are not in it for the money really, but there's no evidence that they are really right for the job.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    McCarthy v Hughton in the Championship today. Our previous manager v a strong possibility to be our next one.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Chris Hughton has been sacked by Nottingham Forest.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Chris Hughton has been sacked by Nottingham Forest.
    Was on the cards for a while. Puts more pressure on Kenny with a viable replacement now available.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,682 Posts
    How viable is he? Kenny has had a win more recently

But a serious question nonetheless.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    How viable is he? Kenny has had a win more recently

But a serious question nonetheless.
    Depends whether he wants the job or not I suppose. And whether the 500 or 600k the FAI would be offering would be enough to get him on board. But an ex Irish international who has managed three different Premier League teams is certainly a potentially viable option, subject to the above caveats.

Would probably bring Steven Reid in with him, who has very a recent international tournament qualification with a limited enough team on his CV as well.

I'm not suggesting Hughton's a perfect candidate or anything like that, there's no such thing in our budget. But he'd be a significant upgrade on what we have at the moment I would suggest. Personally I'd be supportive of that appointment if it came about.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,682 Posts
    I'd be very cautious myself. I've always been a bit of a Hughton-sceptic. Loved him as a player but I felt he didn't exert much influence in his supporting role to Kerr and also his club career has been mixed. But as you say, he may not even be interested.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    One of my mates is militant pro kenny. He just said to me without irony chris hughtons record with Forest should rule him out. I nearly died laughing

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'd be very cautious myself. I've always been a bit of a Hughton-sceptic. Loved him as a player but I felt he didn't exert much influence in his supporting role to Kerr and also his club career has been mixed. But as you say, he may not even be interested.
    I'd be the same. He's always been a very conservative manager, I think his style of coaching and management is out dated and it would probably be a backward step to hire him. If Kenny is to be replaced I'd much rather a more progressive coach, whether that's someone upcoming or someone stepping away from the rigors of club football as they hit pension territory.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

26. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    One of my mates is militant pro kenny. He just said to me without irony chris hughtons record with Forest should rule him out. I nearly died laughing
    That's hilarious. When you think about it, no matter who takes over, they'll find it almost impossible to achieve a worse record than Kenny's.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Perhaps Katherine Zappone will show an interest in the role.

29. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast