Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Ireland Manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Qualifying format isn't confirmed yet, but 10 UEFA qualifying groups, 20 spots based on your group finish. That leaves 3 spots to be contested - so something different has to happen compared to 2020 qualifying. I guess that UEFA could be guaranteed that all NL A teams will qualify automatically, which would mean you would only have to provide 3 spots for leagues B, C & D. You could allow for only 9 runner's up qualifying automatically and hope that one of the big boys doesn't have a calamity (Uefa thinking not mine).

Then you would have playoffs as per last time between each NL group winner (or next best ranked).

Bosnia, Finland, Ireland, Armenia. That's a potential NL group for us. Could we top it? Yes, in some fantasy land world where players have developed further, and or a new manager is in place with a different tactical plan, yes. So a play off is absolutely possible. As per the calendar, play-off games would likely one off affairs.

Yes, I see that there are 16 teams in leagues A, B and C now - so 32 teams in leagues A & B. I'd imagine they will keep 1 playoff solely to League C teams - therefore there will be say 20 main path qualifiers which in theory will all come from the 32 teams in leagues A & B so that would leave 11 teams (excl Germany) looking for 8 playoff spots for 2 places. So not as a sure thing as I had thought but still - a very high % chance we would be involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    from the bunch i would get Neil Lennon because he is younger and has won a few things, he is not a bad manager. i would judge him because of Hibernian than Celtic and he did very good. Plus Martin O Neill could be behind that appointment and that would be great, You need to get a guy who indentifies with your people and history, first a sense of belonging with the irish and celtic culture, someone who comprehend that issue and is part of the community.

I have always championed for Gus Hiddink for the Republic of Ireland national team.
    Neil Lennon is not a good manager. He also seems to have his own personal demons that effect his management. He absolutely destroyed Celtic last season. I think he needs a year or two out of the spotlight to work through his personal demons before he takes another job, if anyone would offer him one after last season.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    eh..
    why aren't we considering non-traditional managers
    Lee Carsley
    Steven Reid
    Damien Duff

or JoSh

or Richard Dunne - lure him back from Monte Carlo..

No idea why we feel we need to go for one of the merry go round managers who are "names"...

I'm all for giving Kenny time. there are already big wins in terms of new players and I'm not sure what a new manager will do differently that will really add value. the snag is of course our coefficient is getting hammered..I personally can live with that.

if he has to go, I'd offer the job to Carsley and if declines (reasonable, England U21 is a big job), interview any of Duff, Reid etc who want the job and pick the best one. affordable and more emotional ties to the team.

Lennon - too much baggage
    Van Gaal - can't see it (was mentioned 20 years ago)
    Roy - not the right man for this group I fear
    Robbie - would feel like a "Hoddle" appointment - loves the game, maybe struggle to translate that into a plan

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Duff has baggage I think and seems to have a pretty thin skin. Never seems to stay in a job for very long. Still not sure why he quit the Kenny set up but it didn't look good.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Duff has baggage I think and seems to have a pretty thin skin. Never seems to stay in a job for very long. Still not sure why he quit the Kenny set up but it didn't look good.
    That is a fair point. I just did a few searches looking for something indicating why he dropped out - nothing out there. I don't in any way feel inclined to disagree about the thin skinned comment - there's no evidence to suggest it's not a valid theory. I still think offering Carsley the job should be done if it hasn't been already. If we think like Rugby for a moment it's a good career move for him.

I'd forgotten Hughton - Chris would be an interesting choice in my book too.

Allardyce would have me seriously reconsidering buying my season ticket.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    The last couple of weeks has seen the Kenny Out campaign go from "he only has pub league management experience" as the main stick to beat him with to "we should appoint people with no management experience". Bizarre. Its "frying pan to the fire" stuff lads.

In one of the more insane posts, there was a call for any manager from League One in England to be appointed because the non-existent manager would just automatically be better than Kenny. He just would. Paul Cook's name was subsequently put forward as the candidate of choice. Sorry, what?!

Sam Allardyce also being put forward as the saviour of Irish football by some.

Through the looking glass...

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    The last couple of weeks has seen the Kenny Out campaign go from "he only has pub league management experience" as the main stick to beat him with to "we should appoint people with no management experience". Bizarre. Its "frying pan to the fire" stuff lads.

In one of the more insane posts, there was a call for any manager from League One in England to be appointed because the non-existent manager would just automatically be better than Kenny. He just would. Paul Cook's name was subsequently put forward as the candidate of choice. Sorry, what?!

by the same token, the pro SK camp are now saying he should stay on indefinitely no matter what the results are as there are no viable alternatives...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Indefinitely? Don't think so. I haven't seen any/much of that at all. To the end of this campaign, sure. Results (rate of wins) then the only consideration as to whether he should take the reigns for the next campaign.

Even then, the candidate list is not inspiring. At all. And the task is no less formidable.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts

Im with you on Paul cooke no thanks

but can I just ask a direct question, would you object to either chis hughton or Chis wilder? and if so why?
    ( obviously only of kenny is sacked )

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Indefinitely? Don't think so. I haven't seen any/much of that at all. To the end of this campaign, sure. Results (rate of wins) then the only consideration as to whether he should take the reigns for the next campaign.

Even then, the candidate list is not inspiring. At all. And the task is no less formidable.
    I should have said 'elements within the pro SK camp'. There have been a few that have said they'd like him to stay on for the euro campaign which implies a contract extension. I certainly wouldn't advocate getting rid of him until his contract is up unless there's a very compelling reason to i.e. a manager we want becomes available and is keen.

I think there needs to be a marked improvement in results (not just the subjective 'performance' element) before considering renewing his contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Im with you on Paul cooke no thanks

but can I just ask a direct question, would you object to either chis hughton or Chis wilder? and if so why?
    ( obviously only of kenny is sacked )
    I think Chris Wilder would be an interesting candidate, and one who is available. While i wont say his stock is on the wane, his last season was truly awful. His managerial record isn't really full of inspirational achievements though, SUFC promotion notwithstanding. That said, I would be open to him being considered for the role when Kenny is sacked.

I am not as enamoured with Hughton to be honest. While he has a good record and is a flexible coach (practical, not married to a particular formation etc), I feel he might be past his best before date. I dont see him taking Forest anywhere and think that might be his last high profile gig. He is also not available and doesn't seem too interested (or maybe the timing simply has never aligned). Can we afford him? In the event Kenny was to go and he was available, he'd be another name i'd be fine with to be considered.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I should have said 'elements within the pro SK camp'. There have been a few that have said they'd like him to stay on for the euro campaign which implies a contract extension. I certainly wouldn't advocate getting rid of him until his contract is up unless there's a very compelling reason to i.e. a manager we want becomes available and is keen.

I think there needs to be a marked improvement in results (not just the subjective 'performance' element) before considering renewing his contract.
    To be honest, i personally think he deserves to stay on for the Euros given the hand he has been dealt in his first year in the job. It feels like the decent thing to do for a decent guy (especially during a period where i think we all accepted we would be transitioning and that it would be a tough slog of a transition). But i am also not married to that preference. I think performances have improved under SK with a brand new squad as compared to his predecessors; but it is also about results and it is time he needs to show that he can get this team to win, in addition to playing a nice brand of football. At the very least the games we should be expected to win.

As i said above, results from here on in is now the only benchmark that matters as it pertains to an extension. For his own sake, if nothing else.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    To be honest, i personally think he deserves to stay on for the Euros given the hand he has been dealt in his first year in the job. It feels like the decent thing to do for a decent guy (especially during a period where i think we all accepted we would be transitioning and that it would be a tough slog of a transition). But i am also not married to that preference. I think performances have improved under SK with a brand new squad as compared to his predecessors; but it is also about results and it is time he needs to show that he can get this team to win, in addition to playing a nice brand of football. At the very least the games we should be expected to win.

As i said above, results from here on in is now the only benchmark that matters as it pertains to an extension. For his own sake, if nothing else.
    There's a nations league campaign before the euro qualifiers but it seems unlikely he'll get a short term extension to see that out. My concern is that would be another disaster and then we're stuck with no easy way out. Other than the Portugal game I don't agree that performances have improved but as mentioned that is subjective. I know stats can be bandied about but while we had chances in the Azeri game (for example) they were half chances and I reject the idea that we 'deserved to win'. If anything we were lucky to draw based on my interpretation of each teams performance.

Ideally (in my opinion) he'd get a results linked extension i.e. if results don't improve then he's out the door without a payout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, what would be the results that would see you “happy” to keep him on beyond this campaign?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, what would be the results that would see you “happy” to keep him on beyond this campaign?
    There are 12 points to play for. I would say 6 realistically but am close to saying 7. I don't think that is unreasonable.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Very reasonable. I’d like to see 8 or 9. But 6 is a bare minimum (Lux/Azer).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

I think the main stick to beat Kenny with is the embarrassing performances and atrocious results he's overseen.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Mick McCarthy's last game in charge saw us batter European championship semi finalists Denmark. Very unlucky just to draw it. That's where Kenny took over so using that benchmark, Kenny has taken us far backwards and with mostly the same squad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    The FAI has almost no money, so it would have to be somebody who really wants to manage Ireland just for honour of doing it and not for the pay day.

So, fortunately, I don't think we need to worry about Sam Allardyce wanting the job.

So we are looking at Irish ex-internationals who already have plenty of money in the bank, or a similar person as SK whose financial needs aren't huge.

Somewhere out there is probably the next Arsene Who? happy with 100k a year.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry View Post

Lennon - too much baggage
    Van Gaal - can't see it (was mentioned 20 years ago)
    Roy - not the right man for this group I fear
    Robbie - would feel like a "Hoddle" appointment - loves the game, maybe struggle to translate that into a plan
    Van Gaal then, any particular reason you cant see it? I can think of one obvious one i have to say.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast