Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Ireland Manager

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    he defeated Barcelona, that Barcelona, I judge him for the CL record and he qualified to the last 16 and went to group stages most of the times

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    There was a reference to approaching Jim Goodwin. I would say that's an interesting proposition. I would also say that I don't think his approach would be entirely different from Kenny's (in philosophy). It's unlikely that taking the Ireland role and it being a disaster (or akin to what it currently is) would affect his standing in Scotland or in the English lower leagues post Ireland.

There would still be a huge amount of "who?" factor though.

Crucially, you'd have to imagine he'd be within the financial bracket that we're looking at, or that a package could be put together that would be appealing to both parties with success being a topper-upper.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    My list for next manager.

1. Robbie Keane. No extra expense as paid already.
    2. Stan. Everyone deserves a second chance.
    3. Mick McCarthy. Everyone deserves a third chance.
    4. FAI players selection committee/ alternative foot.ie poll. Players organise themselves on match day.
    5. A washed up lower Brit league manager looking for a job.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    What's Lord Buckethead doing these days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    My list for next manager.

1. Robbie Keane. No extra expense as paid already.
    2. Stan. Everyone deserves a second chance.
    3. Mick McCarthy. Everyone deserves a third chance.
    4. FAI players selection committee/ alternative foot.ie poll. Players organise themselves on match day.
    5. A washed up lower Brit league manager looking for a job.
    Skstu's suggestion of slitting throats and bleeding out is becoming a nice proposition...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Just one more thing on chris wilder. ( I know he may not want it etc) but his formation of choice 3 5 2 would suit us as we saw v Portugal. I know there is more to being a manager then that but I wouldnt rule him out. I think we will have to invest extra funds for him and like all investments there is risks involved. I would also suggest to offer him 500k with a massive bonus for qualifying. Sweden used to do that and possibly still do. The names on "kingdoms list"!! Are by and large a disaster

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    now Mark Lawrenson is supporting the idea from Paul McGrath. Veterans Paul McGrath and Mark Lawrenson against Kenny??

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    ive got to admit I admire the passion of Lawrenson for the irish shirt

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I'd still like to know if the team video is the real reason the Duffer left.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Just one more thing on chris wilder. ( I know he may not want it etc) but his formation of choice 3 5 2 would suit us as we saw v Portugal. I know there is more to being a manager then that but I wouldnt rule him out. I think we will have to invest extra funds for him and like all investments there is risks involved. I would also suggest to offer him 500k with a massive bonus for qualifying. Sweden used to do that and possibly still do. The names on "kingdoms list"!! Are by and large a disaster
    Yeah took them up from League 1 to PL and then got sacked. Very harsh.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    It would still be Hughton for me. I know his stock has fallen a bit (and he is still currently employed!) but he is a very decent guy and his teams play decent stuff. He was solid at Newcastle, Brighton and Norwich.

He has said in the past that he felt too young for international management but with dwindling options at club level should he lose his job at Forest and now in his 62 year it should be mutually beneficial were he to be appointed ahead of the nations league campaign.

Obviously SK still has 4 games left to convince people he's worth a contract extension. I'd rather him remain than Lennon or Keane coming in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    On Hughton, it cannot be overlooked that he was the coach of Kerr's team. I know he received a lot of praise for his coaching, but that was a relatively drab Ireland team on the pitch despite being relatively glossy on paper. If Keane is associated with the calamity of O'Neill's style, then the same can't be ignored for Hughton. His club career hasn't been more Gruner Veltliner than Cava to be fair too.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    On Hughton, it cannot be overlooked that he was the coach of Kerr's team. I know he received a lot of praise for his coaching, but that was a relatively drab Ireland team on the pitch despite being relatively glossy on paper. If Keane is associated with the calamity of O'Neill's style, then the same can't be ignored for Hughton. His club career hasn't been more Gruner Veltliner than Cava to be fair too.
    No dice. Hughton was what an assistant manager should be an assistant. Keane was a bellend pop star, with a few whitty gags. Keane had already had the highlight of his managerial career with Sunderland. Hughton would after the Irish job go on to do an excellent job with several clubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    There's no obvious choice - all on the potential lists have (many) faults. Anybody with credentials won't take the job and we can't afford them anyways. The current manager has a contract that runs out in the middle of the next qualification campaign. What an utter mess. I think you have to stick with Kenny until his contract expires and hope he can turn it around in the meantime.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    While it's true that his system would fit the players we have right now, in 2 years we could have a totally different looking squad.

Having watched a decade of Trapattoni, O'Neill and Kenny desperately trying to smash square pegs into the round holes they've cut out for themselves, I think we need someone who will come in, pick the best players, and then train them in a system to get the best out of their strengths, and exploit the weaknesses of the opposition.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    While it's true that his system would fit the players we have right now, in 2 years we could have a totally different looking squad.

Having watched a decade of Trapattoni, O'Neill and Kenny desperately trying to smash square pegs into the round holes they've cut out for themselves, I think we need someone who will come in, pick the best players, and then train them in a system to get the best out of their strengths, and exploit the weaknesses of the opposition.
    Maybe but there isn't a system on the planet these days that overlooks the basics principles that Kenny talks about - bravery on the ball, being comfortable and cohesive on the ball. Formations and team selections notwithstanding, using the ball well has to feature. That's what annoys me with Kenny most. He talks about what he wants and it's probably what we all want, but a lot of the time he just doesn't pick an XI capable of delivering it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    There was a reference to approaching Jim Goodwin. I would say that's an interesting proposition. I would also say that I don't think his approach would be entirely different from Kenny's (in philosophy). It's unlikely that taking the Ireland role and it being a disaster (or akin to what it currently is) would affect his standing in Scotland or in the English lower leagues post Ireland.

There would still be a huge amount of "who?" factor though.

Crucially, you'd have to imagine he'd be within the financial bracket that we're looking at, or that a package could be put together that would be appealing to both parties with success being a topper-upper.
    Jim Goodwin could be an inspired kind of choice, but my worry is he would be doomed from the beginning as Irish fans who are used to calling for Mourinho/Moyes/Tuchel/Klopp/Solskjaers head every weekend will be asking who the hell he is!!

Discussion on who should be the next Ireland manager is a joke in itself, question should be whats being done with the game as a whole on this island.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Goodwin is definitely one to keep an eye on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Lars Lagerback anyone?

Experienced international coach.
    WCs & Euros experience with Sweden.
    Big part of Iceland's success over recent years.
    Not so great with Norway, but they sacked him just as their young players are starting to come good.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    73 now and seems to have a cushty advisory role with the Icelandic FA. Sounds ideal at his age.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast