Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 241

Thread: The Next Ireland Manager

  1. #41
    Seasoned Pro CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,406
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,116
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    971
    Thanked in
    624 Posts
    Anybody like a poll on this, to stick with SK or change manager at this point ? YBIG ( yes, I know ) have one running and it is running at almost 80% in favour of sticking with him, which did surprise me as 160+ have now voted in it.

  2. #42
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    19,865
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,006
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,200
    Thanked in
    2,721 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Anybody like a poll on this, to stick with SK or change manager at this point ? YBIG ( yes, I know ) have one running and it is running at almost 80% in favour of sticking with him, which did surprise me as 160+ have now voted in it.
    How about after the friendly tomorrow night?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #43
    Seasoned Pro CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,406
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,116
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    971
    Thanked in
    624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    How about after the friendly tomorrow night?
    Fair enough.

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #44
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,720
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    21
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    443
    Thanked in
    331 Posts
    Anyone change their minds on keeping him if we are beaten tomorrow?

  7. #45
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    4,666
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    249
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    708
    Thanked in
    494 Posts
    Tomorrow is a friendly against a continental champion. I thought we'd lose it before Saturday. If we were absolutely thrashed I might start calling for his head but otherwise I'd be of the cynical viewpoint that there is no point changing things now.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

  8. #46
    International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,707
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    927
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    350
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Tomorrow's friendly game won't really have much bearing on my thoughts at this stage.

  9. #47
    First Team backstothewall's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,390
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    192
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    643
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Anyone change their minds on keeping him if we are beaten tomorrow?
    No. But I might change my mind if we win and play well.

    That is still theoretically possible isn't it?
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

  10. #48
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    19,865
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,006
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,200
    Thanked in
    2,721 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    3-5-2 should be counter attacking, but I pointed out after the serbia game, that we didn't utilise any runners, our play became static and we paused around midfield, like we did when hoofing it long of bygone managers, win the ball from an opposition corner/setpiece/dispossess player in our third, run to the halfway line and/or pass to the halfway line, turn around look for someone beside you or someone behind you. Rinse and Repeat. The 3-5-2 was not implemented the way you'd expect to see two pacey wingers bombing forward being picked out from the midfield and played through. Instead we saw all the negatives of a 3-5-2 where if you don't have a very solid couple of CBs and a midfield who can block off the "hole" you get punished. We got punished both days, it felt like Kenny was half a dozen of one thing not really sure what he was trying to implement.

    We're very negative in our "Possession" football. It's possession for possession sakes 95% of the time, its the short pass, easy option. Coleman was the only one who tried it, and Browne I think for Collins chance the lob into stepehens in space in the middle. Thats the only time we went for the harder, but better outcome option, all the other times it was the short 15 yard pass to the players closest. Bravery in possession means taking the braver option.
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Did you? Please provide the quote
    Paul, you have until 8:30 this evening to provide the requested quote.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  11. #49
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,474
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,197
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,690
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    OK, let’s replace Kenny.

    But with whom? Robbie Keane? Don’t make me laugh – that’s like treating the gig as work experience, and we can’t afford to have someone learning on the job. If being on payroll already is a qualification, give it to Vera Pauw - she’s more experienced than Robbie anyway. Chris Hughton? Not a chance – his stock would have to plummet monstrously. Some Premiership has-been whose stock has fallen so low they can’t get anything else? Or someone who can’t get work in the SPL, Championship? Tell me how that’s an improvement.

    And what’s the goal anyway? Anybody who genuinely believed we had a snowball’s chance in a Qatari heatwave of getting to Qatar has spent too long in the sun. (Blind optimism and a dollop of faith, I can accept – it’s the affliction of the diehard fan.)

    Somebody on another thread said that replacing Kenny now would be like cosmetic surgery on a terminal patient. {Edit: credit where it's due, Comic Book Guy} I’d say it’s more like cutting off a gangrenous limb, slapping on a Band-aid and hoping it’ll grow back better than ever. The problems in the game go far deeper than who the manager is – player development from youth up, domestic senior league versus slave traders and local fiefdoms, potential legal charges against former FAI employees (presumption of innocence noted and all that) a bankrupt association… We’re reaping the consequence of decades of neglect and, if not actual criminal corruption or corporate malfeasance, then certainly unethical or incompetent leadership. We are a decade away from stability. That’s the goal. Every manager we’ve had since Charlton has been tasked with diverting our attention from the administrative 5hitshow of a dysfunctional FAI. We’ve been bought off using our own credit with inflatable hammers and ole ole. Kenny is the first where the 5hit has been laid bare, and the debt’s been called in.

    Back to the pitch, it will take a replacement for Kenny six or seven games to get a handle on the players available and formations, and all we’ll be doing in the meantime is kicking the can of potential improvements down the road. So, leave Kenny in situ.

    The best case in that scenario is that something clicks tomorrow, and in a year’s time with Parrott, Idah, Connolly, Knight, Molumby, Bazunu, Cullen and O’Shea ripping it up as a golden generation, all into double figures for caps, we’ll feel slightly embarrassed to read back over these threads. Who wouldn’t wish for that?

    Worst case, we’re stuck with a manager out of his depth while the FAI gets its house in order, and we go back to the wilderness years of the seventies for a decade.

    An in-between scenario is that Kenny’s era limps with a few victories to the end of this campaign at which point he goes, having excised the deadwood senior pros who are currently lingering like a fart in a lift (McClean, Brady, Hendrick, I’m looking at you in particular) and brought through a younger team, with most players in at least a Championship level team (in England or anywhere else) because they’ve been exposed to international football. Not 'mission accomplished', but the core of a rebuilt, reasonably experienced team with ten years’ growth potential for the next manager. A qualified success – but I’d accept that.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

  12. Thanks From:


  13. #50
    International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Limerick for now.
    Posts
    7,648
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,161
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,672
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    The FAI need to work out what their long-term goals are, then work out if they have the right man for the job. TBH, I don't think there is any plan or goal for which we can't find a better option than Stephen Kenny, for half a million a year.

    Certainly, a huge amount of our problems stem from underage neglect and a lack of stability, which can't be blamed on Kenny or other senior managers. But those issues can be addressed separately to the issue of whether the senior manager is getting the most out of the players at his disposal, or making progress towards doing so.

    I don't think Kenny is doing either of those things.

  14. Thanks From:


  15. #51
    First Team
    Joined
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    58
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Paul McGrath said this guy needs to be replaced , he campaigned for Neill Lennon. I like that idea.

    Paul Lambert is someone I would like toó he tries to play good grassroots footie in Norwich was tremendous. I like Mark Hughes too! And the Southampton coach if they fire him. What about Bilic? Good coach maybe the balkan-irish streetwise mèlange could be a great cooking. Then theres a new irish coach at St Mirren.
    Those are the fellows I like. My biggest candidate will always be El Loco Bielsa or Brendan Rodgers.

  16. #52
    First Team
    Joined
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    58
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I like Cesare Prandelli too. Dont know where he's at

  17. #53
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    33,573
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,883
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,782
    Thanked in
    2,356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Paul McGrath said this guy needs to be replaced , he campaigned for Neill Lennon. I like that idea.
    How hard is it to add a link when you make random statements like that?

    Link.

  18. #54
    International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,707
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    927
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    350
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    The issue isn't that Stephen Kenny won't lead us to the World Cup. It's not even necessarily that we lost to Luxembourg. It's that we deservedly lost to Luxembourg - a team that, player for player are not in even our meagre weight class (even including the suddenly exalted striker with a princely two league goals to his name for Dynamo Kiev this season).

    I don't think that the high water mark for this Irish side is likely to drown many people but I just can't see anything to suggest that Kenny is getting the best out of them. And that's an issue worth addressing. If people believe that he's the man to extract the most from these youngsters and turn them all into future legends that's an opinion certainly but I can't see why we wouldn't at least examine the possibility that there's someone else out there who could simultaneously pick Jason Knight, make us appear a little less turgid/harmless AND not get turned over by Luxembourg at home.

    I will say though that if Neil Lennon is the solution we should just leave Kenny in situ. There are no words adequate for how far off the pulse you'd have to be to champion a man who spent this season proving conclusively that he possesses zero patience for youth or ability to get a little more out of mediocre players.

  19. #55
    Coach John83's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,952
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,575
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    831
    Thanked in
    492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I will say though that if Neil Lennon is the solution we should just leave Kenny in situ. There are no words adequate for how far off the pulse you'd have to be to champion a man who spent this season proving conclusively that he possesses zero patience for youth or ability to get a little more out of mediocre players.
    I, too, would feel ill if he were appointed. He's all wrong for the job.
    Vaccinated.

  20. #56
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    3,567
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    691
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    643
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    OK, let’s replace Kenny.

    But with whom? Robbie Keane? Don’t make me laugh – that’s like treating the gig as work experience, and we can’t afford to have someone learning on the job. If being on payroll already is a qualification, give it to Vera Pauw - she’s more experienced than Robbie anyway. Chris Hughton? Not a chance – his stock would have to plummet monstrously. Some Premiership has-been whose stock has fallen so low they can’t get anything else? Or someone who can’t get work in the SPL, Championship? Tell me how that’s an improvement.

    And what’s the goal anyway? Anybody who genuinely believed we had a snowball’s chance in a Qatari heatwave of getting to Qatar has spent too long in the sun. (Blind optimism and a dollop of faith, I can accept – it’s the affliction of the diehard fan.)

    Somebody on another thread said that replacing Kenny now would be like cosmetic surgery on a terminal patient. {Edit: credit where it's due, Comic Book Guy} I’d say it’s more like cutting off a gangrenous limb, slapping on a Band-aid and hoping it’ll grow back better than ever. The problems in the game go far deeper than who the manager is – player development from youth up, domestic senior league versus slave traders and local fiefdoms, potential legal charges against former FAI employees (presumption of innocence noted and all that) a bankrupt association… We’re reaping the consequence of decades of neglect and, if not actual criminal corruption or corporate malfeasance, then certainly unethical or incompetent leadership. We are a decade away from stability. That’s the goal. Every manager we’ve had since Charlton has been tasked with diverting our attention from the administrative 5hitshow of a dysfunctional FAI. We’ve been bought off using our own credit with inflatable hammers and ole ole. Kenny is the first where the 5hit has been laid bare, and the debt’s been called in.

    Back to the pitch, it will take a replacement for Kenny six or seven games to get a handle on the players available and formations, and all we’ll be doing in the meantime is kicking the can of potential improvements down the road. So, leave Kenny in situ.

    The best case in that scenario is that something clicks tomorrow, and in a year’s time with Parrott, Idah, Connolly, Knight, Molumby, Bazunu, Cullen and O’Shea ripping it up as a golden generation, all into double figures for caps, we’ll feel slightly embarrassed to read back over these threads. Who wouldn’t wish for that?

    Worst case, we’re stuck with a manager out of his depth while the FAI gets its house in order, and we go back to the wilderness years of the seventies for a decade.

    An in-between scenario is that Kenny’s era limps with a few victories to the end of this campaign at which point he goes, having excised the deadwood senior pros who are currently lingering like a fart in a lift (McClean, Brady, Hendrick, I’m looking at you in particular) and brought through a younger team, with most players in at least a Championship level team (in England or anywhere else) because they’ve been exposed to international football. Not 'mission accomplished', but the core of a rebuilt, reasonably experienced team with ten years’ growth potential for the next manager. A qualified success – but I’d accept that.
    Ive been hunting around in my brain for the last few days to figure how I feel about things and this is it!

  21. Thanks From:


  22. #57
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    3,567
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    691
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    643
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    Jesus Christ. After seeing how Lennon just handled Celtic he should never get another job in football let alone be linked to us.

  23. Thanks From:


  24. #58
    Seasoned Pro shakermaker1982's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    316
    Thanked in
    212 Posts
    I’d rather stick with Kenny and us falling into pot 5 than giving Lennon a shot.

  25. Thanks From:


  26. #59
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,158
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,807
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    522
    Thanked in
    373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I’d rather stick with Kenny and us falling into pot 5 than giving Lennon a shot.
    Loyalists once threatened to give Lennon a Shot ! !

  27. Thanks From:


  28. #60
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    3,567
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    691
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    643
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    I was wondering if someone would go there.....

  29. Thanks From:


Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Next Ireland manager
    By Rovers fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 17/09/2021, 9:07 PM
  2. Next Ireland manager?
    By pineapple stu in forum Ireland
    Replies: 593
    Last Post: 07/12/2018, 9:47 AM
  3. Next Ireland manager
    By centre mid in forum Ireland
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09/11/2005, 8:46 AM
  4. Ireland's next Manager
    By JimmyR in forum Ireland
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 24/10/2005, 9:30 AM
  5. New Ireland Manager
    By Éanna in forum Ireland
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06/12/2002, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •