Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Luxembourg - Saturday, 27th March 2021 - World Cup Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    The 5-2 loss in Cyprus will always be the worst result in Irish football history IMO, but this loss is the worst home result.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Interesting to see what the media do over the next 48 hours.

I don’t think you can stay on after that. I thought the last 12 months was ***** but tonight has got to be the last straw.

The criticism should also be aimed at the players. Bar the keeper tonight (well done Buzunu - had no chance with the goal), the rest have cost the manager his job.
    The main problem I actually have with Kenny is how uninspiring he comes across in interviews and pressers. He'd nearly put you to sleep. Not that interviews and pressers are important, but what I am saying is it doesn't make you think he's inspiring the players in the dressing room. Stan had a similar manner.

All other managers of the past 30 years, Charlton, Mick, Kerr, O'Neill, Trap, no matter what you thought of their tactics, selection, or philosophy... at least they had a bit of fire in their character.
    Last edited by brine3; 27/03/2021 at 9:13 PM.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts
    Kenny's like a rabbit caught in headlights in the post match interview.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Kenny's like a rabbit caught in headlights in the post match interview.
    He's never been convincing in interviews, but he's really bad here, falling over his words, repeating himself, and Kenny Cunningham would be proud of the amount of time he's said "y'know"
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    total silence from the pro Kenny group. hardly a surprise.

blessed are the meek.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The 5-2 loss in Cyprus will always be the worst result in Irish football history IMO, but this loss is the worst home result.
    Debatably. And probably not for long if the wholly unqualified Kenny Remains at the helm.

Cyprus is certainly our worst away defeat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Tony went easyon him.
    He should have said
    Stephen we have just lost at home to lux , will you resign

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Maybe Molumby wasn’t that bad the last day after all ? ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    At least so far nobody's claimed that we dominated the match and would have won with another goalkeeper

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    That was a hard watch with Kenny on Sky Sports. I felt really sorry for him.

Pity he couldn’t send Keith Andrews out. He’s had plenty to say about Irish managers in the past. This management malarkey ain’t so easy Keith.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Interesting little factoid - there was only one player on the pitch who played in this year's CL group stages. And he scored.

Whatever about Kenny, that really hints at where our squad is right now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Were Mick not a committed Ireland supporter, he'd be laughing his socks off at his incompetent successor.

Just look at how well he's doing with Cardiff.

How close would the enthusiastic amateur, Kenny, get to a Championship job? (Rhetorical question).

Indeed is there any team within the English football pyramid who would do so much as grant Kenny an interview?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    total silence from the pro Kenny group. hardly a surprise.

blessed are the meek.
    Are you enjoying this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    i think we could finish last in this group. cant see us winning a single match.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    i think we could finish last in this group. cant see us winning a single match.
    Was just saying that on the Zoom beers.

Depressing thought. Luxembourg are fourth seeds, but they're the weakest ones, and Azerbaijan are a strong fifth seed and in reality the two are around the same strength.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I just read the past few pages. Who's defending him exactly?

Hell, I said before Wednesday's game that a loss to Serbia and a draw with Luxembourg would be about par right now, to someone's disgust. Serbia didn't surprise me at all, and the goals were welcome, but tonight was very, very disappointing. I don't think we'll sack Kenny for financial reasons. He might resign. I'd be happy enough with that.
    Any criticism over the past year has been dismissed and the critics labelled as either hoof ball fanatics, anti LOI or just ignorant and impatient. Reasoned debate has been quashed.

Not aimed at you - its been a tone encouraged by the media & FAI & many fans - almost something Delaney about it, in so far as he is beyond reproach.

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Ok, what a shjtshow. Should SK stay to save money and develop players etc or should FAI get some merchant in to maximise results in the short term and arrest decline?

The key to that question is answering where our rock bottom is? We have no god given right to be 2nd or 3rd seeds in group qualifying. Could we spiral to a level of 3rd/4th seeds and hope of major tournament qualification be as remote as ever? How bad does anyone know do our results have to be before we drop to the tier of Bulgaria, Hungary, Moldova etc???

If a drop to that level is imminent, then sorry you hire a Big Sam horses for courses merchant and arrest decline. Not talk about developing young lads as if international football is a project with a safety net and no long term negative outcomes.

I really wanted SK project to succeed. REALLY wanted it. But sorry, its gone.

Next step is huge. If SK can develop the squad without threat of us plummeting through the seedings then, provided players are on board, I'm happy. If any of that is at risk..... Adios

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Josh Cullen is interesting, I think one of the few positives over the recent games.

On his debut he was MOM aganist Bulagaria - I assume Kenny noted this? However under Kenny he did not get picked for the team to play against Bulgaria (maybe he did not even make the initial squad- not sure) - he is frankly only there now due to injuries.

I'm not sure Kenny knows what he is doing.
    Last edited by Paddy Garcia; 27/03/2021 at 9:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Could we spiral to a level of 3rd/4th seeds and hope of major tournament qualification be as remote as ever?
    Well we are third seeds now.

And yeah, there's absolutely no reason we can't drop to fourth seeds, for sure. The problems in the Irish game are massive. We completely ignored the impact of the Premier League when it came in and as it's globalised, we've still thought we can rely on it for player development. We now have effectively no functioning professional league, we have fewer players than ever going to England, we have fewer opportunities than ever for full-time football here. The whole domestic game is a ****show and we actually deserve to be going to way we're going overall.

It's tough on those of us who do support the local game and so on, but ultimately the bigger picture is that we've been building up to this situation for 20 years. It'll take more than a change in manager to fix things (which isn't to say that's not needed)

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Ok, what a shjtshow. Should SK stay to save money and develop players etc or should FAI get some merchant in to maximise results in the short term and arrest decline?

The key to that question is answering where our rock bottom is? We have no god given right to be 2nd or 3rd seeds in group qualifying. Could we spiral to a level of 3rd/4th seeds and hope of major tournament qualification be as remote as ever? How bad does anyone know do our results have to be before we drop to the tier of Bulgaria, Hungary, Moldova etc???

If a drop to that level is imminent, then sorry you hire a Big Sam horses for courses merchant and arrest decline. Not talk about developing young lads as if international football is a project with a safety net and no long term negative outcomes.

I really wanted SK project to succeed. REALLY wanted it. But sorry, its gone.

Next step is huge. If SK can develop the squad without threat of us plummeting through the seedings then, provided players are on board, I'm happy. If any of that is at risk..... Adios
    It's this type of binary thinking that got us where we are today.

Play teenagers, doesn't work out, hire a Big Sam type, impossible to watch, play teenagers, doesn't work out.

Meanwhile every other country with our quality of player manages to find a middle ground where they blend experience with youth, and blend decent football with realism.

I had hoped Kenny had a bit of realism about him. He doesn't. He's a dreamer. That doesn't mean the answer is Big Sam or Mick.

28. Thanks From:

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast