Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Luxembourg - Saturday, 27th March 2021 - World Cup Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Shocking result, it is the worst in my living memory. And poor performance. Luxembourg were a bad team by anyone’s standards (except ours).

But as I’ve said before, I’ve already written off 2022 World Cup hopes. We have the worst squad since the early 1980s. We have no money. I’m still happy to give Kenny until 2024 to try to develop things. The rest of the campaign can be spent developing the squad. Goodbye to Brady, Randolph, Long, and Clark (has never lost the clumsy and rash attributes that plagued his English under 19 career). Time to blood in the youngsters and see who make it.
    I would have to agree. I never expected us to go to Qatar and I was always hopeful that we'd develop further, but the incessant calls for his head since the Slovakia game are now in the "I told you so" phase.

It's hard to defend that tonight, but to think that we were qualifying bit for that result is madness.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Shocking result, it is the worst in my living memory. And poor performance. Luxembourg were a bad team by anyone’s standards (except ours).

But as I’ve said before, I’ve already written off 2022 World Cup hopes. We have the worst squad since the early 1980s. We have no money. I’m still happy to give Kenny until 2024 to try to develop things. The rest of the campaign can be spent developing the squad. Goodbye to Brady, Randolph, Long, and Clark (has never lost the clumsy and rash attributes that plagued his English under 19 career). Time to blood in the youngsters and see who make it.
    Something about Clark that absolutely amazes me is that he has never worked on his upper body physique. I doubt there is many slighter Centre Backs at any of the two top divisions in England or many at international level. You’d think his different clubs would have made him work on this !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    The squad of the early 80s was our best ever IMO, better that the team Jack inherited a few years later
    We has some right god players in their prime at that time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    People talking about experienced players. The likes of Shane Long, McClean and Robbie Brady have been letting us down for years. They didn't make any great difference when they came on.

Kenny had the luxury of a play off game in Slovakia and a whole Nations League campaign to bed himself in. Very few managers get that. I see next to nothing that impresses me about him. Possibly the only thing is that we aren't belting it upfield at every opportunity, but if that's the height of our ambition we are in big trouble. Nice to see some young lads play tonight I suppose.

We got rid of a seasoned and good manager in Mick who didn't even get the opportunity to see the Slovakia game through. An insult to a great pro for us as a player and a guy who managed our last good team bar a few years under Trap. Kenny is completely out of his depth. You can see the difference between a properly managed team in Luxemburg and us tonight.

We can't get any lower than this. Kenny should just play the kids. It might buy him some goodwill and at the very least it gets us more prepared for the future.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I thought we did ok actually.

We were up against a team with a better set up, clearer structure and better managed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    We're going to be playing hoofball forever. It's all we're good for.
    its not. there is a halfway house that suits us best.
    its cloud cuckoo land to think we can out football most teams we play with the players we have

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    It has to be said, this is in Kennys nature. He done this in Dunfermline, Rovers and now Ireland. He has perfected the dead man walking routine it seems
    What he shows is the dundalk job was an anomaly on his cv and not the norm.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The issue is that in 11 games things aren't really improving at all. Yes COVID, yes injuries, but the team looks as incapable offensively as they did when Kenny started. Some fighting defeats are as good as it has gotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    He’s a joke now - having held two biggest jobs in Irish football as usual Kenny fails - he’s just not able to deal with the pressure - embarrassing ; on a personal level feel sorry for him and his family, going to be hard to live with that - hopefully he’ll do the decent thing and resign and not boring us with some post match drivel in his usual inconhetent way

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Is there X LOI manager can do to draw criticism from the faithful?

I thought Stan was poor - but this is even worse.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought we did well to hold them to a single goal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    You think the reason we lost to Luxembourg at home was because we didn't have Jeff on? Really?
    Well apparently he was at fault for everything that went wrong in the past five years.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post

To be fair Luxembourg didn't score five.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Whelan and Lawrenson were stalwarts in one of the best club sides of all time. Both world class players Brady was world class. O'Leary and Stapleton top class players. Moran a very good defender. Not sure if the era you refer to would include Beglin and McGrath, as they more came in the mid 80s. Packie was around as well. So much quality.

Now, we have a few very talented kids. I really like Bazunu, Knight and O'Shea. I like Cullen. Coleman still a very good player and a really great servant. Then a load of lads who have been living on Euro 2016 for years. McClean has great spirit but is a horribly limited player.

The two eras are chalk and cheese.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    A big disappointment for me is the fact we stuck with a version of 3-5-2 all the way. I thought before the game it’d be better suited to 4-3-3, but could understand sticking with the 3-5-2 after Serbia. But at times it looked like we were crying out for 3 up top. Collins and Robinson never really linked, they were on opposite wings half the time with no one in the middle. At least when we’re struggling to create the extra body pressing possibly helps create.

I want to find positives but it’s so hard. I think whether Kenny stays on or not is all down to the players. I hope he’d walk away if the players don’t want to play for him. There’s no way the FAI can afford to sack him, and what would we get instead? Maybe an unproven modern coach who’s a number 2 somewhere? Or an old journey man from somewhere who brings back the hit and hope? Depressing is all that can be said.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Seeing a lot of defending Kenny, which I get. But his job tonight was to get a result, then after that hopefully progress the team. We never really controlled the game and created very few chances. It's just not excusable.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    The issue is that in 11 games things aren't really improving at all. Yes COVID, yes injuries, but the team looks as incapable offensively as they did when Kenny started. Some fighting defeats are as good as it has gotten.
    I thought Serbia was an improvement, albeit that two goals flattered us because we really only had two chances and took them both.

But yeah, tonight was back to the dregs of the Nations League. It's really hard to know where things are going. I don't think I've been as deflated after a game before. The loss is bad, but we deserved it is worse...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post

I just read the past few pages. Who's defending him exactly?

Hell, I said before Wednesday's game that a loss to Serbia and a draw with Luxembourg would be about par right now, to someone's disgust. Serbia didn't surprise me at all, and the goals were welcome, but tonight was very, very disappointing. I don't think we'll sack Kenny for financial reasons. He might resign. I'd be happy enough with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Interesting to see what the media do over the next 48 hours.

I don’t think you can stay on after that. I thought the last 12 months was ***** but tonight has got to be the last straw.

The criticism should also be aimed at the players. Bar the keeper tonight (well done Buzunu - had no chance with the goal), the rest have cost the manager his job.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Kenny needs to go. And his demise will be imminent. He simply isn't qualified for the role.

Another appalling legacy of the corrupt Delaney regime.

Nauseating to think of the big pay-off he will receive.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast