UCD v Athlone
    Galway v Shelbourne

Sunday 28th (15:00)
    Bray v Treaty United

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    First weekend of the season could be summed up as we have a title race on our hands with nobody looking like runaway winners and the likes of Sligo and Pats looking way stronger than last season.
    Longfords and Droghedas opening day wins at home to Derry and Waterford will be tested for how good they were with tough away matches against Bohs and Pats.
    Anything less than wins for Dundalk and Bohs will start to put the pressure on early , Harps deserved their win against Bohs so it wont be easy.

Galway Shels as an opener in Division one is an early chance to lay a marker down for two teams expected to be chasing automatic promotion.
    Still cant get used to Cork being in Division 1 and no real idea how they will do.
    Great to have so many matches to discuss / Watch.
    Shame about Derry canceling the Rovers match, is the reserve keeper that bad? they have ensured a 3 games in 9 days gig with the reschedule,

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Shame about Derry canceling the Rovers match, is the reserve keeper that bad? they have ensured a 3 games in 9 days gig with the reschedule,
    18 year old who has never played a senior game. It’s simply not worth the risk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Jack has just signed a pro contract and is 20. I think the problem is that there isn't proper back up to him. Although it would have been a great test for him if they'd have played and put Gartside under pressure for his place. If I was manager I'd have sent the team out with the young keeper, they are expected to lose anyhow, might as well get the kid experience. Shows a lack of balls from Devine. Not as if Rovers didnt do it with Bazuna.
    Last edited by lofty9; 22/03/2021 at 11:11 AM. Reason: changed his age ..again :)
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Jack has just signed a pro contract and is 20. I think the problem is that there isn't proper back up to him. Although it would have been a great test for him if they'd have played and put Gartside under pressure for his place. If I was manager I'd have sent the team out with the young keeper, they are expected to lose anyhow, might as well get the kid experience. Shows a lack of balls from Devine. Not as if Rovers didnt do it with Bazuna.
    Bradser played Bazunu in 4 league games and two euros before letting Manus take the number 1 jersey, Manus from memory was there for at least 3 of the games but Bradser stuck with Bazunu as he was excellent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    First weekend of the season could be summed up as we have a title race on our hands with nobody looking like runaway winners and the likes of Sligo and Pats looking way stronger than last season.
    Longfords and Droghedas opening day wins at home to Derry and Waterford will be tested for how good they were with tough away matches against Bohs and Pats.
    Anything less than wins for Dundalk and Bohs will start to put the pressure on early , Harps deserved their win against Bohs so it wont be easy.

Galway Shels as an opener in Division one is an early chance to lay a marker down for two teams expected to be chasing automatic promotion.
    Still cant get used to Cork being in Division 1 and no real idea how they will do.
    Dundalk have to target 3 points on Friday, especially considering the 2 games after. If we do, it ramps up the pressure on Rovers for Friday week. It will be a must not lose game for Rovers which in itself has its pressures. Of course that is completely flipped if Dundalk fail to beat Harps. It's a bit early for make or break games but putting down an early marker is important. If we end up with 1 or 2 points from the fist 4 games considering the opposition, its heading badly in the wrong direction for Keegan.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Dundalk have to target 3 points on Friday, especially considering the 2 games after. If we do, it ramps up the pressure on Rovers for Friday week. It will be a must not lose game for Rovers which in itself has its pressures. Of course that is completely flipped if Dundalk fail to beat Harps. It's a bit early for make or break games but putting down an early marker is important. If we end up with 1 or 2 points from the fist 4 games considering the opposition, its heading badly in the wrong direction for Keegan.
    Bit of a contradiction there but the second point is correct. No league on the planet has a club that will have a 'must not lose game' in their second game of the season. It’s a big game yes but even if rovers were to lose it I’m sure they could close the gap from the remaining 102 points up for grabs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Deary me Nesta, that pressure windup looks like it came from the pat hoban school of windups. As has been said,its far too early to be making games make or break. Paining the a€€é that Rovers won't play this weekend, but the presidents Cup game was recent enough for the emotional muscle memory to kick in when Rovers take on dundalk the week after. Hopefully Pico makes it back from his camel trek in time.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Momentum and confidence is everything in Sport, i always felt when DFC were at their best teams turned up expecting to lose.
    Establishing a "presence" this year with all the new players is important and that only comes from winning.
    While i would agree Rovers Dundalk is not a must not lose game for Rovers it is a chance particularly if DFC drop points to Harps to stop Dundalk establishing a fear factor, losing would be a million miles from fatal to our chances of winning the league but it is a huge opportunity to put a marker down just like early last year.
    A draw which will probably leave us both in bottom half after 3 games (depending on Harps results) will just emphasize how open the league is this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Ok it will feel like a must not lose game. Going on some previous recent seasons some clubs have been pretty relentless, eg Rovers last year albeit in a shortened season. I would not be ok with Dundalk potentially being 6 pints adrift of Rovers after 4 games no matter what. As has been acknowledged generally, there are a lot of unknowns this season so imo early form and results will be key definers of the season as much from a psychological angle. Whomever builds up a bit of momentum first (nether Dundalk, Rovers, Bohs look like clicking in to that winning habit yet) will be hard to overhaul. If Dundalk have 10 points by game 4 id be worried if a Rovers fan and yet it early season. On Wk 1 performances Harps should be made favourites - though if Ollie was standing with the league trophy he would still talk about avoiding relegation.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/03/2021 at 4:02 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Hopefully Pico makes it back from his camel trek in time.
    Will he not have to self isolate (for whatever amount of days it is now), upon his return?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Deary me Nesta, that pressure windup looks like it came from the pat hoban school of windups. As has been said,its far too early to be making games make or break. Paining the a€€é that Rovers won't play this weekend, but the presidents Cup game was recent enough for the emotional muscle memory to kick in when Rovers take on dundalk the week after. Hopefully Pico makes it back from his camel trek in time.
    Pressure windup? I was replying to Sbgawa who I think makes a valid point on early pressure, but conversely can be flipped. If people think early season results do not involve 'pressure' or do not count in some way as gaps can be overturned later in the season then so be it - I hope such levels of confidence lead to complacency. If I was from the Pat Hoban school of wind-ups i'd just dismiss things wind-ups and maybe follow up with 2020 not being a real league season (but then there wouldnt have been a proper cup competition either by such logic).

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    that pressure windup looks like it came from the pat hoban school of windups.
    This amused me waaaaaay more than it should have.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Will he not have to self isolate (for whatever amount of days it is now), upon his return?

Nope Elite athletes are exempt unlike bogball players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Ok it will feel like a must not lose game. Going on some previous recent seasons some clubs have been pretty relentless, eg Rovers last year albeit in a shortened season. I would not be ok with Dundalk potentially being 6 pints adrift of Rovers after 4 games no matter what. As has been acknowledged generally, there are a lot of unknowns this season so imo early form and results will be key definers of the season as much from a psychological angle. Whomever builds up a bit of momentum first (nether Dundalk, Rovers, Bohs look like clicking in to that winning habit yet) will be hard to overhaul. If Dundalk have 10 points by game 4 id be worried if a Rovers fan and yet it early season. On Wk 1 performances Harps should be made favourites - though if Ollie was standing with the league trophy he would still talk about avoiding relegation.
    Id probably be happy enough taking another draw now and then just get on with the season.
    The head to heads wont matter as much this season i think as it looks like a few teams have a bit about them this season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Summed up nicely - looking sooooo forward to it.
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    I would agree with that and week 1 is an early if limited indication.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    First Cork derby since 2008 and no one can go. Gutting.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    First Cork derby since 2008 and no one can go. Gutting.
    Jaysus is that long? That was in the top flight if I am correct!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    Summed up nicely - looking sooooo forward to it.
    Will be quite a telling game for Pats too. We did well in games against Rovers and Dundalk last season, only to come unstuck against perceived “lesser” teams. If we can beat Drogheda, and particularly if we could score some goals, it will be a sign of progress.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast