Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deactivated Links

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    No, I acknowledge that, but the point of moving the thread to Off Topic is to create a more general discussion of the topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    No pun, no sun, no fun mf’ers!!

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    He feels strongly about this one issue. It creates a very minor inconvenience and highlights bad behaviour relevant to the football community. He is not obliged to wage every moral crusade going.
    Without wanting to corner and isolate the guy, its not one issue, it was the puns too. And other minor skirmishes in the Ireland section are seeming to put the regulars there backs up en masse and its something he should probably bear in mind a bit more. The puns was his personal preference and this also is. He has managed to get this one passed and good luck to him, I am not about to argue in favour of The Sun ( or any British tabloid for that matter ) generating revenue here, fair enough.

But, the point made on where to draw the line, other anti Irish sentiment in other papers particularly, has huge merit here. Plus this is not our battle, is there a section of Liverpudlian society boycotting some paper because of how it reported on the Croke Park shootings or Bloody Sunday for example ? I would doubt it, nor would I expect them to.

This is the Ireland section of an Irish football forum, but here we are with Premiership infatuation and loyalties as though this is somehow our conversation to have, and it isn't, it doesn't belong here.

Tets, if you had just asked or explained, I reckon broadly the members would have shrugged this one away, and let it slide, but again there was a high handed one line post, and little will to interact thereafter and you yourself have admitted you should have communicated it better although this had to be pointed out to you perhaps. You keep ending up cornering yourself due to this style would be my observation.

Anyway, on and up etc.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Without wanting to corner and isolate the guy, its not one issue, it was the puns too...
    He more or less lost on the puns issue. Yeah, he can improve on communication; that's acknowledged in how he's promised to mark any deactivated links of this kind in future. No one is perfect; but as issues like this arise, they've been dealt with, and I think it's useful to remember that Tets does a lot of good for the forum too.

But, the point made on where to draw the line, other anti Irish sentiment in other papers particularly, has huge merit here. Plus this is not our battle, is there a section of Liverpudlian society boycotting some paper because of how it reported on the Croke Park shootings or Bloody Sunday for example ? I would doubt it, nor would I expect them to.
    If you want to argue that it should be forum policy, go right ahead. I just don't want that discussion to be an excuse to bash Tets.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    It's curation, not moderation.

Absurdly petty stuff tbh.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    I’ve had a think about this over the weekend, not wanting to rush in. I can see both sides – I despise the Sun though equally I’d be militant if anybody tried to tell me what I could and couldn’t read (full disclosure: I read the Sun now and again, though at arms’ length - unavoidable part of the job). So here’s my tuppence worth.

Moderators, like referees, don’t get every call right but I believe they try to. Like a good ref, we rarely notice them. And, like anybody, they have their preferences. But unlike referees, we can hold them to account, as this thread does.

Tets has personal reasons for disliking the Sun that he’s now explained. I think they’re reasonable and sincerely held at a personal level, though they’re different to mine. I don’t necessarily agree with deactivating a link, but I understand the feeling that brought on his decision and I can live with it because his moderation is usually low visibility.

The issue seems to be more about a lack of certainty than censorship, bias or heavy-handedness, or equivalency of treatment for other media. The latter is a particularly slimy can of worms. I think moderation works best when we self-moderate and respect the limits of what we know is allowed. (For instance, I had a right go at Tets over the pun affair, but knowing the rule that came out of it I’ve been conscious to limit my use of them.) Would updating the published rules to reflect changes at site and forum level, and making them easier to find, be useful?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Dahamsta has weighed in, and nixed this as moderator policy. It's his site; he sets the rules.

Perhaps Tets can make a personal request that people self-censor those links, more or less in line with what EG posted above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Yes, I don't like the Sun or any of tabloids (or indeed most of a broadsheets), however the deletions were based on a personal preference and I don't consider that moderation, and to a certain extent it's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Do we allow the Star? The Telegraph? Etc. Sorry.

My preference for news articles is and always has been to quote the first paragraph or so of the article and link it so it can be read in more detail, mostly because if you just link the headline people just won't read the damned things; Reddit is rife with this. But I don't think we should be removing sources altogether, when another site rule is that people should source their statements.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I see this deactivating of links is back. In this post, the link has been deactivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20787412/anti-english-argentina-song-no1-spotify/amp/
    According to the mod, there is a policy in place about this:

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Looks like the whole team was targeted, not just Delap. Also, we have a policy of not linking to the S*n newspaper. Ever.
    I'm surprised any Argentinean would link to it.
    As Dahamsta's post from a couple of years ago shows, there was no such policy then. Is there such a policy now?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Did tets not just deactivate it manually?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    He did. They're arguing that when this was discussed before, it was agreed he wouldn't continue to do that.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Ah right. Yes, the below stands. Tets, please don't delete links based on personal preference.

My preference for news articles is and always has been to quote the first paragraph or so of the article and link it so it can be read in more detail, mostly because if you just link the headline people just won't read the damned things; Reddit is rife with this. But I don't think we should be removing sources altogether, when another site rule is that people should source their statements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    sorry, I forgot what the agreement was. Since the original discussion, I don't think I've seen and links to that paper, so it hasn't been an issue.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12