Saturday 20th March

Finn Harps v Bohemians 18:00
    Sligo v Dundalk 18:00
    Midlands Development team v Derry City 18:00

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Very wary of a strengthing Pats team and equaly i think Dundalk nead to pay Sligo a lot of respect.
    Harps v Bohs will be interesting to see if Harps can beat expectations and id bohs have replaced Grant twardek and wright as well as Mandriou
    Drogs Waterford and the midlands development team (i'll leave it after a week as their dopey people copped on after a week) look like favs for relegation so a good start is important

First weekend of competitive action and 10 optimistic sets of supporters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    I’d be happy with a draw to start the year off. I’ve seen nothing of the new team bar goal clips on YouTube so it’s hard to tell where we are at. The squad on paper looks a lot better but it’s on the pitch that counts. I’ll go 1-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Friday 19th March

Drogheda v Waterford 17:45
    Shamrock Rovers v St Pats 19:45

Saturday 20th March

Finn Harps v Bohemians 18:00
    Sligo v Dundalk 18:00
    Midlands Development team v Derry City 18:00
    Hilarious. Obviously so giddy to get in that 'joke', you're posting about matches not starting for another 6 days. Clearly lockdown Saturday night's are some craic in the sbgawa household!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I’d be happy with a draw to start the year off. I’ve seen nothing of the new team bar goal clips on YouTube so it’s hard to tell where we are at. The squad on paper looks a lot better but it’s on the pitch that counts. I’ll go 1-1.
    You reckon Stevie O'Donnell will be given time if you start badly, or is he under pressure if you do?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    You reckon Stevie O'Donnell will be given time if you start badly, or is he under pressure if you do?
    Obviously this is just based on opinion but I think if we start poorly the pressure would be from fans but the board seem like they’ll allow him time to build and rightly so IMO. The budget is way down this year and even some of the players that signed new deals are on less than they were last season. Of course that depends on how poor a start we’re taking and how long that continues for because with O'Donnell out of contract at the end of the season it makes it a cheaper option to pay him off than it would’ve last year had things gone very badly for example.

To be honest I wouldn’t say he’d be any more/less likely to be under pressure after a poor start than any other club aside from maybe Longford/Drogheda/Harps who would be given more time IMO
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 14/03/2021 at 12:44 PM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    AFAIK this is SOD final year on his contract. If he has a poor year it will be hard to justify giving him a new one. I don’t think he would be under intense pressure if we have a poor start. The owner has backed him this year so he seems to have belief in him. I’d be on the fence , I think he should be given time this season but we have to see a good run a getting into europe.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I think Pats have fallen back enough for things to be called a good run and not make Europe. Ive nothing to back this up but I think Sligo have almost totally turned things around from last Spring to this and are dark horses. Drogheda I also think will overtake a couple of more established Premier sides. Assuming that the order of things wont change massively and wlil be Bohs, Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers making up the top three it will be tough for Pats to sneak in to 4th and a top 3 cup winner helping them out. Waterford look in trouble which will save 1 side from autuomatic relegation. That leaves Longford Im sorry to say and imo Derry as the strugglers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I think Pats have fallen back enough for things to be called a good run and not make Europe. Ive nothing to back this up but I think Sligo have almost totally turned things around from last Spring to this and are dark horses. Drogheda I also think will overtake a couple of more established Premier sides. Assuming that the order of things wont change massively and wlil be Bohs, Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers making up the top three it will be tough for Pats to sneak in to 4th and a top 3 cup winner helping them out. Waterford look in trouble which will save 1 side from autuomatic relegation. That leaves Longford Im sorry to say and imo Derry as the strugglers.
    Always forgotten
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    100% agree sligo have gone quietly about there business and i expect them to do well this season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Usually starting a season in trepidation as we’re still trying to assemble a squad but we seem to be in pretty good shape. So we’ll probably be relegated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Always forgotten
    Certainly not!! I fear saying Harps will be more than safe Ollie will hunt me down!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Always forgotten
    Always loved never forgotten

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Friday:
    Drogzonspor 2-1 Pub Team
    Talacticos 1-0 Dundalk Tribute Act

Saturday:

PUP Harps 0-1 The Boys from the better land
    Hardy Bucks 1-2 International Bright Young Things
    Daireball 0-1 Devine Out
    Last edited by DCSIL; 19/03/2021 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Hardy Bucks

Big night for Rovers in Tallaght tonight.
    Will be interesting to see what Bradser sees as his first team in a competitive match.
    I expect Watts , Kavanagh, Gary O Neill and Greene in as a minimum change from the presidents cup match.
    First nights are always full of optimism and several teams have strengthened..
    Good start is vital.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Decent preview from RTE here: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...remain-strong/

The champions versus the pre-season champions is a fitting opener to the season. I think the gap might be closed a bit between the top and the middle teams this season. It feels like Rovers and Dundalk could be a little weaker, while Pats and Sligo both look to have improved. Drogheda should be solid, Derry are hard to predict and missing Hodge is a blow already, Harps look to have strengthened, Waterford another unpredictable one and Longford look the weakest but are young and might be a surprise package if they can adapt quickly to the step up.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Hardy Bucks

Big night for Rovers in Tallaght tonight.
    Will be interesting to see what Bradser sees as his first team in a competitive match.
    I expect Watts , Kavanagh, Gary O Neill and Greene in as a minimum change from the presidents cup match.
    First nights are always full of optimism and several teams have strengthened..
    Good start is vital.
    If only Sligo had a Frenchtoast O'Toole or Hammer Harrington playing them, great footballer's names!

St Pats winning preseason means they'll be a tough opener for Rovers. It will be a good gauge on how St Pat's season could go but Id expect Rovers to win, 2-1. It'd be no disaster either way with a full season scheduled.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I think SOD is gonna be bringing two double deckers with him and would be concerned that if Rovers don't nick one early we're gonna see a carbon copy of the two league games last year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Drogs 1-0 Waterford , typical first game set up, unfamiliar players on both sides trying to find their feet. Late og from Drogs pressure and overall I think we deserved it as we have a few goal mouth scrambles.

Many years away from the premier so a win on our first game back is very satisfying indeed

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Great win for Drogheda in a scrappy game, not a great performance but they were the better team. Deegan and James Brown the best on the night, Brown's engine is something else. Waterford's defense was very solid, they could be a hard team to break down this season.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast