Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Weekend games 19th , 20th March

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    They were awful last night. We should have scored a couple more. But I wouldn't get too carried away one way or another just yet.
    well said Ollie

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Derry are in serious trouble
    A bit silly to write any team off after the first game of the season ? Just like it would be silly to get carried away with the chances of any team for a surprise result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Hesitant to read too much into the first week but am convinced Bolger will be brilliant for Sligo. Despite the fact he's frequently acknowledged as one of the best in his position in the league I still find that he's criminally underrated for the most part. Would have killed to have him back at Pats.

Similarly on the note of not wanting to get carried away from such a small sample size I hope that goals aren't going to be hard to come by again this time around. Seems to have been the most widespread concern across the opening weekend that we're all worried about our sides' lack of chances.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Hesitant to read too much into the first week but am convinced Bolger will be brilliant for Sligo. Despite the fact he's frequently acknowledged as one of the best in his position in the league I still find that he's criminally underrated for the most part. Would have killed to have him back at Pats.

Similarly on the note of not wanting to get carried away from such a small sample size I hope that goals aren't going to be hard to come by again this time around. Seems to have been the most widespread concern across the opening weekend that we're all worried about our sides' lack of chances.
    Absolutely. I'm surprised Bradley let him go and I'm even more surprised Dundalk didn't sing him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    A bit silly to write any team off after the first game of the season ? Just like it would be silly to get carried away with the chances of any team for a surprise result.
    Considering it was a continution of the abject performances of last year and against Longford who were clear favourites to finish bottom of the table not a bit silly imo.

I didn’t expect us to be any great shakes this year but i did say to a few mates on Saturday if we struggle this evening it does not bode well at all.

I think given our performance lacked basically everything that you need to have any chance of winning a game of football I have no need to be sitting on the fence.

We are in trouble.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post

Be interesting to see how this plays out for Pats. Coughlan will score goals but is he a 10/15 goal man a season, unlikely unless he improves his finishing. I think the Pats move needed to happen for him, things had become stale and he wasn't the fully committed, flying into tackles and chasing down lost causes player that started in the Showgrounds with us. Our fans took to him cause of how he held the ball up and is work rate, but he wasn't scoring many goals. Compare that to someone like Corcoran who wouldn't do a tap of work, which drove fans mad, but he still scored goals. If Coughlan could finish he'd be playing at a much higher level cause the rest of his game is strong.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Awful pity no fans at games. There would have been great crowds for the first round of fixtures. Big loss on revenue for clubs too.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Compare that to someone like Corcoran who wouldn't do a tap of work, which drove fans mad, but he still scored goals.
    He was saving his energy for his GAA matches that year sure . Wasn’t aware that was the case while he was with Sligo but it was definitely the same when he joined Pats the following year, 1 goal in all competitions which came in an 8-0 win over Pike Rovers in the cup and that’s just about the only thing he did for us

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Why didn’t Pats hold onto Gibson?
    Not good enough. He definitely has a bit of talent but nine times out of ten it takes him into a dead end. He may get past the first player but he tries to beat the second and loses the ball. Finishing not great either. He can certainly look very good in the occasional game but he's not going to deliver for you over the course of a season.

He has been replaced by Matty Smith who looks a far superior player, and we also have a very promising young prospect for the same position in Darragh Burns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Be interesting to see how this plays out for Pats. Coughlan will score goals but is he a 10/15 goal man a season, unlikely unless he improves his finishing. I think the Pats move needed to happen for him, things had become stale and he wasn't the fully committed, flying into tackles and chasing down lost causes player that started in the Showgrounds with us. Our fans took to him cause of how he held the ball up and is work rate, but he wasn't scoring many goals. Compare that to someone like Corcoran who wouldn't do a tap of work, which drove fans mad, but he still scored goals. If Coughlan could finish he'd be playing at a much higher level cause the rest of his game is strong.
    Hard to come by any strikers in this league who can actually put up totals like that to be fair, I think the main thing for us was putting together a more functioning forward line in general because never mind strikers nobody has been able to score for us remotely consistently in the past few seasons. Even if Coughlan can manage around 10 that'll be grand if he can also click and link with the likes of Smith and King for them to also chip in themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    Not good enough. He definitely has a bit of talent but nine times out of ten it takes him into a dead end. He may get past the first player but he tries to beat the second and loses the ball. Finishing not great either. He can certainly look very good in the occasional game but he's not going to deliver for you over the course of a season.

He has been replaced by Matty Smith who looks a far superior player, and we also have a very promising young prospect for the same position in Darragh Burns.
    Interesting. Been excellent for us in the 3 games I’ve seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Interesting. Been excellent for us in the 3 games I’ve seen.
    For what it's worth I thought he was decent but ultimately replaceable. Hard to get too much of a read on him given both the short time he played for us and how blunt we were in general, but on his debut against Dundalk he looked a real find when playing as a lone striker and he blew hot and cold thereafter. Fantastic energy and always pressed well from the front but the quality wasn't always there to go with it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Maybe the soccer team can take a leaf from the rugby teams book and rise to the occasion. Here's hoping for a result like last Saturday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Absolutely. I'm surprised Bradley let him go and I'm even more surprised Dundalk didn't sing him.
    After the cup final HT antics ? I don't think so Charlie, plus he didn't cover himself in glory in the spell before, around 2010, seemed to be injured a lot, possibly only one season stint.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    After the cup final HT antics ? I don't think so Charlie, plus he didn't cover himself in glory in the spell before, around 2010, seemed to be injured a lot, possibly only one season stint.
    Ah sure we signed Finn back after he made a point of celebrating goals for Dundalk in front of our fans. Bolger is a good pro who will give his all wherever he goes.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    If anyone wants a digi copy of the DFC v FH match programme tonight, send me a PM on this, and I`ll send the link. I got permission from the Editor.

It was sent to all members and ST holders earlier today, nice touch.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456