Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I stand corrected

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Rovers didn't deserve to win purely on the team selection. Gaffney shouldn't be anywhere need the first 11, for a start. Watts and Kavanagh should be starting. Burke is a luxury player but complicates the midfield. I was more impressed with Danny than last week and its the 1st week of the season.
    It'll probably be a 7 point gap this season instead of 11.😉
    Happy enough with that with so many changes - agree the Gaffney , also Hoare can’t cross ( albeit Greene scored from the one cross he managed) ; Finn doesn’t have it anymore to play central mid but way better than Gannon as wing back; Mandriu in second half showed what he can do and once he settles will be brilliant assuming he keeps his attitude right, early days but we’ll get much better and then pull away from the mob once Towell comes in

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Pat's keeper was motm for me.
    Nice to see Git back on form, the only player with a bit of guile on the pitch.
    Thought Finn at CM didn't work, Watts and Greene made a difference when they came on.
    Pat's look to be carrying too many passengers again this season, they all looked knackered in the last 5 mins,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    It'll probably be a 7 point gap this season instead of 11.😉
    Could Bradley survive an 18 point swing?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    And Bohs as champions?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I predicted 1-1 for that game before kick off and would’ve been happy with the point if offered it in the 85th minute but disappointed with it having taken the lead so late but that’s football I suppose.

Great result for Drogheda earlier, although I was in the same boat as someone above that looked away for 10 seconds and missed the goal . I thought Markey played well, was surprised to see him taken off so early into the second half
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 19/03/2021 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    And Bohs as champions?
    Who else? We'll be lucky to stay up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Pat's keeper was motm for me.
    Nice to see Git back on form, the only player with a bit of guile on the pitch.
    Thought Finn at CM didn't work, Watts and Greene made a difference when they came on.
    Pat's look to be carrying too many passengers again this season, they all looked knackered in the last 5 mins,
    Think the last comment is harsh. Pressed them hard all game despite their quality, and on the first game of the season at that. Would be doing well for that to not have been the case, especially bearing in mind the likes of Barrett coming into pre season semi late.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Great finish by Greene but thought Pats should have defended the cross better. Initial cross is blocked but there’s absolutely no pressure on the second attempt at the delivery. Surprised rovers didn’t make any changes to the starting 11 after last week. Jaros looks a great addition for Pats although I don’t remember goalkeeper being a huge problem area for them last season. As others have said they still look like they’ll struggle to score goals. We’re basing that on them playing against last years champions though. Will they be able to do it against Drogheda as Cawley asked numerous times. Enjoyed watching the game even if it wasn’t a great game. Great to have football back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    at 85 minutes nil nil felt like a loss
    1 v1 at the end felt like a draw and a half.
    The league is going to be interesting this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Pats looked like a very good team, apart from having no striker. Coughlan is dire to watch. It feels like his single aim is to hit the ground. Rovers roughly same as last week, fantastic header from Green.

Good win for Drogheda, although Waterford were better than expected.

Four teams today, 3 goals after 85mins (2 of them O.Gs). All teams looked a bit blunt going forward.
    Last edited by Kiki Balboa; 19/03/2021 at 11:03 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Great to have the league of Ireland back. The Pats keeper looks like a great addition to the league, and should be a huge asset to the Saints this year. Bit more like it from Forester. Fitness levels played a big part in the equaliser. With their big squad Shamrock Rovers will still be favourite and it will be interesting to see how they manage a full season. Bradley seemed happy enough in his after match interview, so the weakness that appeared to be in defence and central midfield(2nd half), may be due to lack of match practice.
    Drogheda will be happy to get a win straight away on their return to the premier division.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I assume Gaffney is on a decent wedge having come back from Salford who pay well? Hasn't done anything the few times I've seen him lately*

Fantastic header from Greene.

*He may well score a shedload against us now in due course but that won't prove anything
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I expect Watts , Kavanagh, Gary O Neill and Greene in as a minimum change from the presidents cup match.
    Close!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I enjoyed that - dunno how it was for the neutral but as a fan it was good to see proper football back. Think Rovers were marginally the better side based on chances but a draw is a fair result as Bradser said. Super header from Greener and good to see Pico get off the mark too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I was about to say that Rovers still seemed to miss that clinical striker and Greene pops up with a great header not long after coming on.
    To be fair, apart from maybe Burke's shot in the first half we didn't create any chances that a clinical striker would be expected to take. Pats did a very good job of ensuring we couldn't find space around the box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I assume Gaffney is on a decent wedge having come back from Salford who pay well? Hasn't done anything the few times I've seen him lately*

Fantastic header from Greene.

*He may well score a shedload against us now in due course but that won't prove anything
    Gaffney looked OK but I Greene was an improvement when he came on. Gaffney is definitely better with his feet than Greener but seems to always be everywhere except near the goal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I agree that Gaffney didn’t have any chances that a striker would be expected to take but he runs as if he’s got lead in his boots at times. I was surprised to see him start ahead of Greene last week and even more so this week. Strange that rovers are investing in 4 year contracts for players in areas that are better covered than up front. You’d think they’d have tried to bring in someone from abroad (I always have a feeling either Padraig Amond or Eoin Doyle will end up back there one of these years)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Ah Gaffney hasn't really had a chance to get going for Rovers and it's still the first game of the season. He will get better and Bradley likes him. I'd still take Greene every day but Gaffney has a different dimension too.

edit: much as I like Amond and Doyle, I doubt they'd come back for the money we're able to pay when they can get more in L2 plus have FA Cup glamour games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Think the last comment is harsh. Pressed them hard all game despite their quality, and on the first game of the season at that. Would be doing well for that to not have been the case, especially bearing in mind the likes of Barrett coming into pre season semi late.
    Step forward Barrett Mountney, Coughlin and not forgetting Bones disastrous debut.

Lee Desmond was excellent as usual, and I agree that the rest of the Pat's team gave it their all.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast