Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Hodge M QPR (loan from Wolves) b.2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Regarding a comment or two above, if our smaller guys are our best players, then those are the guys we should play. Just because set pieces have been our best path to goals in recent times does not mean we should build our teams for that one aspect of the game.
    Absolutely. It’s that sort of attitude that lead to Wes Hoolihan getting far, far less caps than his talent deserved. He wasn’t trusted because of his size primarily I always felt. Which is bonkers when you think of it. Some of the greatest players have been relatively short. Maradonna and Messi in particular , and John Giles closer to home. ( and no, I’m not comparing Hoolihan, or especially Hodge to those players. Just making the point that you don’t have to be a six footer.)
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Doing ok. Won the ball back off Tiago to play a pivotal part in the goal. Shocking mistake by Allison, a mistake Caoimhin wouldn’t have made…

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Playing a bit further forward since Wolves subs and looking quite lively. Teammates seem to trust him. Thought there was a good example of strong positional sense when Wolves committed men forward on the counter, a lot of young midfielder would have joined in but when Liverpool broke he was really well positioned just in front of his defenders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Great to see him play the full match against a fairly strong Liverpool side. Once again regularly showed for the ball and made some good tackles to disrupt play, most notably in the buildup to Allison’s error for the first Wolves goal. He’s not a dominant player but he’s not looking out of place or uncomfortable against elite opposition, and that’s not easy in a match like this at Anfield.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    He didn’t change his position to my mind when the subs came on. He was always playing ahead of Neves prior to that and maintained that position. Best game in a wolves shirt. Apart from some misplaced passes, he passed the ball well throughout, defended tenaciously and never stopped running. Overall, he did okay, nothing ground breaking. But improving which is the main thing. He should start FA cup replay as well which will be good. Latvia game will hopefully further his development

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    He didn’t change his position to my mind when the subs came on. He was always playing ahead of Neves prior to that and maintained that position. Best game in a wolves shirt. Apart from some misplaced passes, he passed the ball well throughout, defended tenaciously and never stopped running. Overall, he did okay, nothing ground breaking. But improving which is the main thing. He should start FA cup replay as well which will be good. Latvia game will hopefully further his development
    Fair enough on the positioning. I hadn’t been watching the whole game, it looked to me like he was a bit further forward more often after the subs but may well have just been the shorter time I was watching. It’s just a shame he’s so small (and I’m all for playing small technical players but I just think there’s a limit to how many you can play together and we seem to have a team of hobbits coming through!!).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    To be fair, we have plenty of tall keepers, man mountain centre backs and two genuinely big centre forwards in Idah and Ferguson. Maybe that's enough that we can accommodate a small midfield - something like Cullen, Hodge and Knight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Fair enough on the positioning. I hadn’t been watching the whole game, it looked to me like he was a bit further forward more often after the subs but may well have just been the shorter time I was watching. It’s just a shame he’s so small (and I’m all for playing small technical players but I just think there’s a limit to how many you can play together and we seem to have a team of hobbits coming through!!).
    For all the talk about competition from other sports is this an actual valid example of the issue ?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    First mention I've seen on the dial national forum on the England bigsoccer forum of wondering if hodge would switch back to them. Good indication of the amazing progress he has made considering he played his first game last March after a year out injured and missed another 6 months previous to that with his leg break. Delighted to see him play at that level tonight

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Have they made a play for Ferguson yet? I saw a few English fans on twitter making the case that he was still eligible for them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    For all the talk about competition from other sports is this an actual valid example of the issue ?
    Considering the smaller lads were raised in England (Hodge, Cullen, Obafemi) and the taller lads were raised in Ireland (Bazunu, Kelleher, Travers, Collins, Omobamidele, Idah, Ferguson) - I don’t think so

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Have they made a play for Ferguson yet? I saw a few English fans on twitter making the case that he was still eligible for them.
    Would be quite a turn around . He certainly is eligible

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Lunacy! And I'm the paranoid one
    He's staying and he is Irish unlike Hodge.

Let's get hodge involved asap

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Absolutely. It’s that sort of attitude that lead to Wes Hoolihan getting far, far less caps than his talent deserved. He wasn’t trusted because of his size primarily I always felt. Which is bonkers when you think of it. Some of the greatest players have been relatively short. Maradonna and Messi in particular , and John Giles closer to home. ( and no, I’m not comparing Hoolihan, or especially Hodge to those players. Just making the point that you don’t have to be a six footer.)
    Wes Hoolahan was one of our most creative midfielders ever. Criminal really the lack of game time he got during his career.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Lunacy! And I'm the paranoid one
    He's staying and he is Irish unlike Hodge.

Let's get hodge involved asap
    Yeah Hodge will really want to commit to us when he reads comments like that

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    To be fair, we have plenty of tall keepers, man mountain centre backs and two genuinely big centre forwards in Idah and Ferguson. Maybe that's enough that we can accommodate a small midfield - something like Cullen, Hodge and Knight.
    Mention of Knight - just watching him play for Derby v Barnsley in the Cup. Some very nice touches and intelligent play but he made a woeful decision to remain at League One level. Irish fans will wonder why we don't have the players to compete at international level. It is decisions like Knight's that answer that question.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Mention of Knight - just watching him play for Derby v Barnsley in the Cup. Some very nice touches and intelligent play but he made a woeful decision to remain at League One level. Irish fans will wonder why we don't have the players to compete at international level. It is decisions like Knight's that answer that question.
    He's a contracted Derby player and they don't need to sell unless a team is willing to break the bank. Could throw a strop like Obafemi to force a move but that hasn't worked out well for him plus Knight doesn't strike me as the type.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Yeah Hodge will really want to commit to us when he reads comments like that
    He has one Irish grandparent
    He played for us under u16 and england u 17
    He is an English man who qualifies for us. I hope we get him
    but he won't be offended by me saying he is English

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He has one Irish grandparent
    He played for us under u16 and england u 17
    He is an English man who qualifies for us. I hope we get him
    but he won't be offended by me saying he is English
    He just might be offended by "he is Irish unlike Hodge. " Would you want to play for a team where the fans are already questioning his eligibility. Why bother

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    No chance of him switching I'm sure. Was just wondering if their supporters were pushing for the English FA to ask the question. Some of them are still sore about missing out on Haaland as he was born in Leeds. (It's all hypothetical, but if Roy Keane hadn't smashed his dad's knee, he might be an England player now.)
    Last edited by Eirambler; 08/01/2023 at 2:11 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast