Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Hodge M QPR (loan from Wolves) b.2002

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    He was okay, not great in his wolves senior games thus far. Too early for him to start premier league games in my opinion. Nunes far more influential when he came on, he may not be fully fit yet. It will be a real surprise if Hodge starts against United. Certainly their fan base do not want him starting any remaining premier league games. Best going on loan in January, still a long way from being a viable international option for us, but no harm getting him involved and helping him develop considering the other existing options - incorporating Hodge at least in squad isn’t going to hurt us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    As anticipated Nunes in for Hodge today against United. Hopefully Hodge gets loan deal for remainder of the season and does well

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Wolves 1-0 up away to villa, 33 minutes to go, and Hodge coming on. Huge call by the manager, let’s see how he does

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Did ok, just not prem ready. Wolves conceded bad late goal. Collins did ok today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I dunno lads. Rice looked **** when they started him at centre half that season
    Sometimes these guys need the investment when the club is having a mid table season, that's the time to do it.

I reckon they think hodge is a 30milion sale minimum.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Hodge has done nothing during his appearances to justify ongoing selection in a struggling side desperate for points. Their fan base clearly don’t rate him as a starter currently, he is far away. And I agree with them based on seeing all his premier league contributions this season. If wolves were sitting “mid table” as you said, the fan base would certainly be more open to blooding in Hodge. But they’re 19th and destined for championship football unless they turn around drastically. His manager clearly sees something in him, but this isn’t seen by the fans right now at the club and given circumstances will have limited patience for developing players who are far from prem ready like Hodge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I thought Hodge did okay. Came on in a pretty high stakes situation, showed for the ball constantly, and showed some nice touches.

Do I think he’s a premier league starter? Probably not but he didn’t really look out of place. I’m particularly encouraged by his constant showing for the ball/making himself available for a pass. A simple thing sure but we’ve had a lot of hiding during the Hourihane/Hendrick era and it’s nice to see a willingness to ask for and retain possession in the middle of the park, often under pressure.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I certainly agree the ingredients are there and I like most of what I see, barring the lack of natural athleticism and strength, but I think he would be served far better on loan for the next 5 months. I just don’t see him continuing to get worthwhile game time while wolves are in the relegation zone, they will strengthen this window. Given his premier league exposure, I’d certainly be hopeful Kenny includes him against Latvia and help him develop further. My main point is that he is far away from being a big contributor for us, and needs a full season of senior football to see where he lands. People seem to be making Hodge out to be our midfield savior at the moment, but he will have to show far more than what he has to be that

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Thought he did well again - moves the ball quickly and accurately with a nice variety of passing - definitely worth a run-out against Latvia, if he keeps this up

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I think a big problem for Hodge in terms of the senior team is his size. We're already fairly small in midfield, Cullen and Knight are not big lads, if Obafemi is starting that's another fairly small player, you throw Hodge in there and it becomes a major issue for defending set pieces. Modern footballers tend to be over six foot, you can manage with two or three smaller lads, but anymore and it's a problem. I'd like to see him in the squad for Latvia too, but I don't think it will happen, I'd say we're more likely to see Smallbone get some more minutes seeing as he's a championship regular (and in the 21s games I watched Smallbone in I though he was most effective sitting a bit deeper rather than as a 10).

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    technically he seems on a different level to someone like knight. im honestly not so sure what knight brings to the set up either apart from a lot of good work off the ball, really couldnt tell you what kind of a player he is on the back of his irish performances. its worth throwing hodge in imo , desperately need a deeper lying player in midfield

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I think a big problem for Hodge in terms of the senior team is his size. We're already fairly small in midfield, Cullen and Knight are not big lads, if Obafemi is starting that's another fairly small player, you throw Hodge in there and it becomes a major issue for defending set pieces. Modern footballers tend to be over six foot, you can manage with two or three smaller lads, but anymore and it's a problem. I'd like to see him in the squad for Latvia too, but I don't think it will happen, I'd say we're more likely to see Smallbone get some more minutes seeing as he's a championship regular (and in the 21s games I watched Smallbone in I though he was most effective sitting a bit deeper rather than as a 10).
    Smallbone definitely looked better playing a bit deeper in midfield but that also comes from the fact that the midfield trio is off balance when we play both Coventry and Kilkenny together.

Kenny mentioned fringe players will get a run out against Latvia, and I wouldn't start any of our nailed on midfielders for France against Latvia. With that I'd play Smallbone in the role that Hendrick normally plays.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    technically he seems on a different level to someone like knight. im honestly not so sure what knight brings to the set up either apart from a lot of good work off the ball, really couldnt tell you what kind of a player he is on the back of his irish performances. its worth throwing hodge in imo , desperately need a deeper lying player in midfield
    I think, because Knight is such an unselfish player, people tend to forget what he offers. But, as well as his work off the ball, he's a good crosser and a clever player around the opposition box when he is given a role that gets him in there. I don't know that we have any other player who could provide the assists he does in the YouTube clip below, from 2:30 onwards. Hourihane is technically capable of it, but wouldn't have had the athleticism to get into those positions in the first place (I remain a big fan of Knight despite his club career not going anywhere so far).

https://youtu.be/gymUdUMD5Fo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Hodge has done nothing during his appearances to justify ongoing selection in a struggling side desperate for points. Their fan base clearly don’t rate him as a starter currently, he is far away. And I agree with them based on seeing all his premier league contributions this season. If wolves were sitting “mid table” as you said, the fan base would certainly be more open to blooding in Hodge. But they’re 19th and destined for championship football unless they turn around drastically. His manager clearly sees something in him, but this isn’t seen by the fans right now at the club and given circumstances will have limited patience for developing players who are far from prem ready like Hodge

The comment about him not being rated by the fanbase is an odd one, but I guess reflects debate on fans forum. His ratings on BBC reports from fans have been consistently amongst the highest for whoever's played in that particular game. That's a bit of a paradox. I haven't seen enough to make a judgement either way, but his manager is clearly happy with what he's producing or he wouldn't be getting regular minutes and a few starts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Not sure who is saying hodge is our international saviour. I would never have gone there mentally myself. I mean no player with less than 50 senior matches should really be talked about like that.
    (Goes for ferguson thread too)

They are 19th and 3 points off 13th. Nothing in it.

If they stay up and he plays gets 15 to 20 appearances he will either learn on the go and be a valuable asset or they will see he hasn't got it. I reckon they are clearly investing in the former scenario based on whatever they see.

I mean, why else play him

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    To me it looks like Wolves see him as the long term replacement for Moutinho.

Anytime Ive seen him he looks eager to get on ball and is technically decent. Getting this much game time at his age is obviously a positive thing and can only be good for his development. I do wish he was half a foot taller though

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Not sure what's to be lost by bringing a talented Premier League player into the fold against a godawful Latvia side.

He could hardly make Kenny's Ireland very much worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Regarding a comment or two above, if our smaller guys are our best players, then those are the guys we should play. Just because set pieces have been our best path to goals in recent times does not mean we should build our teams for that one aspect of the game.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    I would generally agree, but we do need to make sure we're covered in terms of defending set pieces as well.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Starts again in fa cup against Liverpool. Great experience for him

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast