Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Hodge M QPR (loan from Wolves) b.2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I was impressed with Hodge in the recent U21 game. Might well be wroth a senior cap. We’re crying out for midfield talent. Not that convinced by Smallbone. Looks a bit casual to me. By which I mean a lot of fancy flicks where he ends up losing the ball.
    Me too. Only surprise was that he could only last 60 mins, and we deteriorated in terms of concentrated play when he went off. Thought there might have been fitness issues, but that would seem to be unfounded seeing as how Wolves have started to play him.
    Now that he's getting game time, he's a certainty to be called up and so he should.

He was THE superb midfield possibility when he first came to prominence underage. He had so much to offer, but the injuries looked to be a killer for him. glad to see that's not the case.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Nice to see Joe come over to watch Derry play the FAI Cup final. Shame he’s not training with the seniors tomorrow

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Playing toight, but guilt of a bad miss

Posted at 20:3120:31

Post update

Wolves 0-0 Gillingham

Wolves nearly find the breakthrough two minutes before half-time. A cross comes in from Goncalo Guedes and Joe Hodge is there with a header...
    He's only four yards out, in the middle of the goal, but it's a poor header and he nods off target.
    Should've scored.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Subbed at h/t was disappointing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Subbed at h/t was disappointing.
    Watched the game and really liked what I saw from Hodge (glaring miss notwithstanding) - showed for the ball a lot and when he got it, moved it along quickly and accurately - just the type of player we need in midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Watched the game and really liked what I saw from Hodge (glaring miss notwithstanding) - showed for the ball a lot and when he got it, moved it along quickly and accurately - just the type of player we need in midfield.
    Excuse my ignorance but why was he swapped out at half-time then? Didn’t watch and have no context for that decision.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Appeared tactical. Adama replaced him. Hodge was playing pretty advanced with Neves sitting. Moutinho was close to Hodge. Didn’t realize Moutinho is 36 now, he was poor. Looks to be passed it from a top level standpoint. Hodge and him seemed pretty similar players.

Hodge did ok. Tidy and showed for ball. Gave ball away a couple of times and had a glaring miss from 6 yards out with a header, that could have changed things a bit for him if he scored. He’s 20, small but tenacious with an eye for a pass. He just needs a full 5 months of first team football come January to see where he lands. Would like to see him go on loan. I think that would be more beneficial than the odd minute here and there for wolves, he’s certainly not ready for top level football yet

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Gets another start today, hopefully he can do well

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    1-0 down, a few tidy passes so far not much else. Wolves not looking threatening so he will likely be sacrificed early. Cannon on everton bench may see some time

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Just as I say that, nice set piece from Wolves to equalize. Hopefully Hodge gets a good chance in second half too now

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Let's hope he continues to impress, obviously doing really well in training. A starting premier league midfielder is someone who should definitely be in the Irish squad. But maybe our current manager knows better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Separate mistakes by Hodge and Collins gifted two one on ones but wolves survived. Hodge doing okay, looks tidy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Another mistake by Collins gifted everton another great chance, he really needs to sort out the regular mistakes he’s making.

Hodge, one mistake apart, did okay. Sharp passing, kept things simple, nothing extraordinary. Made a couple of nice challenges too, seems to have some bite about him too despite his diminutive frame. Playing a bit deeper than the Gillingham game which suits him better. Hopefully he will last until at least the 60th minute today.

Impressive show of faith by new manager considering the stakes of the game. He must really like Hodge. I read that Wolves will be backed in the transfer market in January to buy 5 or 6 players….may affect Hodge. Hopefully he can continue to get senior minutes come January, if not at wolves then elsewhere.

A couple of more appearances, then he will need to be involved in next irish squad ..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Hodge did ok, subbed around 60 or so. May start again if wolves get result. On comes Cannon now, getting interesting

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Late goal for Wolves to give them a much needed win. Great to see. Hopefully Hodge will start next game. Collins with a couple of mistakes, did okay overall. Cannon no real opportunity, Lampard has to roll after this which will be unfortunate for Cannon

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    For me, it's difficult as an Irish fan to get too exercised about an English born player like Hodge at this point given the current trend of players in his position jumping ship once FA come sniffing. Good luck to him whatever choice he makes but I wouldn't blame Kenny if it doesn't go our way. It's the fault of the looseness of modern eligibility rules.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    For me, it's difficult as an Irish fan to get too exercised about an English born player like Hodge at this point given the current trend of players in his position jumping ship once FA come sniffing. Good luck to him whatever choice he makes but I wouldn't blame Kenny if it doesn't go our way. It's the fault of the looseness of modern eligibility rules.
    Well Kenny's apparent reluctance to promote him to the senior squad is the only means by which he might end up playing for England unless he declines a call-up. And he can't decline unless he's actually selected. Either way the initiative rests with Kenny. He's a young player with obvious potential currently playing at a higher level than the majority of our squad and any of our other midfield options. It seems like a bit of a no brainer, but I still suspect Kenny will stick with the players who have served him in his 3 recent unsuccessful campaigns. What did Einstein say about the definition of madness?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Got some praise in Athletic article below. Impressive he started ahead of a 45m player who was at the World Cup. Going on Kennys past comments re Rice and Grealish would be amazed if hes not involved v Latvia.

https://theathletic.com/4036031/2022...tegui-everton/

The most notable came in midfield, where Joao Moutinho was pushed further forward, almost into a No 10 role, allowing Joe Hodge — preferred from the start to former record signing Matheus Nunes — to offer support to captain Ruben Neves in protecting the back four.

“I play in the defensive phase with ‘two and one’ and in the offensive phase they have the freedom to move to look for the pockets of space,” Lopetegui said.
    “But it is good for us, we want to have good shape to play inside and make the pitch big and Hodgey, Joao and Ruben worked in a very good way and afterwards Matheus Nunes played at a very high level.”

And, whether or not it was planned, the decision to pick Hodge over Nunes meant the Portuguese midfielder was fresh enough in stoppage time to have the mental clarity needed to produce a crucial pass for Adama Traore. “Hodgy has worked very hard, he is a big-hearted player and gave a good performance,” added Lopetegui.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Fair to say he's similar to Cullen in style? Could they play together?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Fair to say he's similar to Cullen in style? Could they play together?
    If he can play with Neves in that formation for Wolves, then why not? I think we should play in a way that allows us to accommodate our best players.

23. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast