Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: WatchLOI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I see your point. I don’t mind Ger Canning for GAA but he should stay clear of football. It looks like the golden days of Brian Moore & John Motson are gone from the game. The quality of sports commentators has done down across the board can’t think of one I really like off hand , the chap on virgin media maybe Ive warmed to him lately.
    Porbably because there was only 1 or 2 games a week broadcast. Nowadays every game seems to have some degree of coverage and outside of the top few percent you will get lower quality by default.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    I see your point. I don’t mind Ger Canning for GAA but he should stay clear of football. It looks like the golden days of Brian Moore & John Motson are gone from the game. The quality of sports commentators has done down across the board can’t think of one I really like off hand , the chap on virgin media maybe Ive warmed to him lately.
    Yeah, it's hard get that Moore and Motson quality alright - Jimmy Magee for another M. Nesta's point about using local stringers might sound plausible but with no offence to, say, Sligo v Finn Harps, the pace of the game and the production values (stats, research, size of the OB team) is far below international commentary standards so what sounds good on Highland FM or Ocean FM soon gets found out on a national broadcaster.

I think the RTE sports department generally speaking is dreadfully weak, bar a few stand-outs. I don't know what kind of training - if any - they get once they're inside, but being a brilliant sports journalist does not automatically make you a decent commentator, and if you're only competent to begin with, well... One of RTE's big failings over the years has been keeping square pegs in round holes instead of acting like a talent generator -find them cheap, train them up, lose them to Sky, rinse and repeat. It keeps the the line-up fresh and encourages people to up their game instead of mouldering away as a staffer till retirement. When was the last time, for instance, you heard of any RTE star leaving to join a bigger broadcaster?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Oh I agreee EG, I was thinking along the lines of your latter point, its a sort of apprenticeship and then pinch the better ones to broaden the panel especially for when there are major tournaments and Olympics on and all the top commentators are deployed there. Leaving us with the best of the rest and GAA people to cover the home front. Commentators that have started out on radio, manage to give a 'picture' of the game and keep people interested, well its the best sort of training. Let co-commentators do the stats, insights, analysis, though you do need sense of a connection between them too. Jonathan Pearce is a bit marmite in the UK, I like him and his enthusiasm and he started off with radio, then Channel 5 games, Womens' coverage and is now mainstream along with the less high profile stuff. He commentated a few hockey games during the 2012 Olympics and basically said live he needed the expertise beside him and it worked. There are go to commentators for everything at RTE so a bit like a football team they need some more strength in depth...

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    No wonder Eamon Dunphy went mad at RTE when he was asked about his former employers last week at Paddy Power event in Carlisle. He said that the match day analysis is very poor. I have switched over to the BBC in protest.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    I wouldn't take heed of much that Dunphy says to be honest.

BBC analysis is generally very bland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

It tends to be more entertaining though as they have better banter between the panel. I find their coverage a lot more polished than RTÉ, bigger budget admittedly.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    No wonder Eamon Dunphy went mad at RTE when he was asked about his former employers last week at Paddy Power event in Carlisle. He said that the match day analysis is very poor. I have switched over to the BBC in protest.
    Are Alex Scott or Rio Ferdinand any better than the pundits on RTÉ?? I very much think not
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Des Curran is doing a good job tonight. I always thought he was decent.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Des Curran is doing a good job tonight. I always thought he was decent.
    Yeah he is a very good commentator he didn’t come to mind earlier. I think he is very good , he has a very easing going patter.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Its changed just a bit now with Dunphy, Brady, Giles, gone but a few times in bars in England BBC coverage was on the box but at HT and FT the channel was switched to RTE analysis. Not totally sure if that was for entertainment reasons of for analysis value.

Stephen Kelly doesnt work as a co-commentator imo yet gets plenty of work. Duff, Cunningham and Sadlier do a good job and yup better than Ferdinand or the wannabe comedian Ian Wright on respective channels. BBC punditry is very stiff upper lipped British.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 14/06/2021 at 11:10 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I am watching the BBC for this tournament. I think RTÉ has gone dreadful and the PC nonsense makes things worse.
    I assumed they all use Macs these days.

17. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    RTE having a female commentator to say they have a female commentator to tick a box. When she clearly isn't a commentator. I've no issues with equal opportunity's as Lisa Fallon talks a lot of sense as a pundit, much more than her male counterparts. It should be based on merit not box ticking.
    She's not there because she's female. She's there because she's an RTE employee and they don't have a million commentators. There are better female commentators around in my opinion but she's a staffer so will obviously get the bigger gigs.

And, like Ger Canning, football is not her sport. Take issue with RTE assigning GAA commentators to football by all means, but I think it's a bit disrespectful to suggest she or any other woman has her job due to box-ticking.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 15/06/2021 at 2:12 AM.

19. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Dunphy is some pup to be criticizing the analysis. He was lazy and traded on the laud the manager and then blame the manager shtick over and over again while often being very unprepared (and on occasion at least literally drunk). When Noel King was in charge for about 48 hours it was hilarious to watch him cram the whole process into that time. There was a time when Giles, Dunphy and Brady was a decent combo (O Herlihy was brilliant at orchestrating them too for what it's worth) but it got very tired a long long time before they finished.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Of course I should also add that when I commentated for Finn Harps radio I was generally unprepared, regularly somewhat tanked, started chants, howled at officials and opposition players (on one occasion my mum rang me after to see what he had done) and when things were going badly would descend into extended periods of sullen silence. And the language was reprehensible. The tagline was "Turning the Air Blue" and by jeepers we delivered.

Damn I miss it all the same.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    It tends to be more entertaining though as they have better banter between the panel. I find their coverage a lot more polished than RTÉ, bigger budget admittedly.
    I strongly disagree. They're like some boorish half-wits down the pub who think Mrs Brown's Boys is the funniest thing on television. Micah Richards seems to have been employed by the BBC soley because he will laugh uproariously at literally anything. The last thing I want to see from ex-footballers on TV is 'banter'.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Dunphy is some pup to be criticizing the analysis. He was lazy and traded on the laud the manager and then blame the manager shtick over and over again while often being very unprepared (and on occasion at least literally drunk). When Noel King was in charge for about 48 hours it was hilarious to watch him cram the whole process into that time. There was a time when Giles, Dunphy and Brady was a decent combo (O Herlihy was brilliant at orchestrating them too for what it's worth) but it got very tired a long long time before they finished.
    I always thought Dunphy was a genius in the way he played the role of ‘court jester/fool’ to Giles and Brady’s King Lear and Richard III

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    I always thought Dunphy was a genius in the way he played the role of ‘court jester/fool’ to Giles and Brady’s King Lear and Richard III
    Ha I think some of the football played in landsowne road over the years would make bosworth field seem like a playground.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts

RTE analyst - 'Deep insights into the lad's psychology there.'
    BBC analyst - 'Richard the Fird? So that's what gave 'im the 'ump. Wa-ha-ha.'

Even though it's taken a while for me to warm to the new generation of RTE panellists, they're invariably light years ahead of the Beeb.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    What's the story with duff though?
    He appears to be desperate to push an agenda no matter what or who he's talking about.
    To paraphrase The Smiths it would seem "He holds more grudges than lonely high court judges"..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    The guy made so much money out of Irish football, and instead of pushing for change he played the controversial clown and any time he did try to address real issues got them hideously, disastrously wrong. Total fraud, a cancerous boil on the bum of Irish football.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast