Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 178

Thread: WatchLOI

  1. #61
    First Team WeAreRovers's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,876
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    30
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    53
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    A youtube channel that collected the highlights from WatchLOI could probably replace MNS/Soccer Republic. The various podcasts already do a better in-depth job of talking about the issues than the show. By the time it became Soccer Republic, it was already an outdated format for the league.
    Exactly, the figures for MNS/Soccer Republic were abysmal no matter what the time-slot or format. There was and is no justification for it from that perspective. Against the Head with 5 minutes of rugby highlights in an hour long show would routinely get three or four times the numbers.

    The podcasts are a much better way of doing analysis than getting Dave Barry to drive for three hours to tell us precisely nothing on SR. Plus podcasts don't need to get as big numbers to be viable.

    An online goals portal whether it be RT… or YouTube or FAI.ie is what's needed and now quite easily done. Similar to EFL and other leagues.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

  2. #62
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,560
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,791
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,460
    Thanked in
    2,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Exactly, the figures for MNS/Soccer Republic were abysmal no matter what the time-slot or format. There was and is no justification for it from that perspective. Against the Head with 5 minutes of rugby highlights in an hour long show would routinely get three or four times the numbers.

    The podcasts are a much better way of doing analysis than getting Dave Barry to drive for three hours to tell us precisely nothing on SR. Plus podcasts don't need to get as big numbers to be viable.

    An online goals portal whether it be RT… or YouTube or FAI.ie is what's needed and now quite easily done. Similar to EFL and other leagues.
    Have RT… any plans to do an online highlights reel?

    Is there anything to stop someone putting one together? Perhaps those LOI TV lads that have hilariously spat out the dummy at the league for using the name for the new streaming platform without their consent?

  3. #63
    First Team WeAreRovers's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,876
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    30
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    53
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Have RT… any plans to do an online highlights reel?

    Is there anything to stop someone putting one together? Perhaps those LOI TV lads that have hilariously spat out the dummy at the league for using the name for the new streaming platform without their consent?
    Nothing confirmed yet but should know soon.

    #JusticeforLOITV
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

  4. Thanks From:


  5. #64
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Newbridge,Co.Kildare
    Posts
    58
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    21
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Couldn't agree more Nesta, the low take up really ****ed me off. We as LoI fans want respect from media companies, yet there was a lack of self respect shown by fans not buying into the very reasonable pricing structure.

  6. #65
    Reserves blueblood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    co limerick
    Posts
    458
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    21
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    What sort of viewing figures would people expect considering there's probably only about 30 or 40 thousand loi fans and not a huge amount of interest outside of that.

  7. #66
    First Team D24Saint's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perpetual lockdown
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    127
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    224
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    What sort of viewing figures would people expect considering there's probably only about 30 or 40 thousand loi fans and not a huge amount of interest outside of that.
    Exactly it was never going to appeal to a huge audience. When you have a small part of a small market the figures arenít surprising. The majority of clubs get small attendances , how many of that crowd are in the same household then how many arenít tech minded to watch online football, how many arenít interested in watching their team on any screen at all be it RT… or online. If RT… or the FAI thought this would be a huge success then they were deluded , which wouldnít surprise me either.

  8. #67
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    81
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    234
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I have a number of issues with this "let the clubs stream themselves" business.

    1. The lack of a central hosting site. Streaming games on Facebook is all well and good until you realise you're effectively counting out the vast majority of your older support, plus all those people who have deactivated social media accounts over the past year or two.

    2. Said central hosting site has a single fee that covers streaming all games from all grounds. Paying X amount to watch Longford games is all fine and dandy, until a Shamrock Rovers fan who has paid X amount to watch all Shamrock Rovers games suddenly finds himself having to pay again to a different club for the privilege. A once off ticket for WatchLOI covers all of that without any hassle.

    3. The quality issue is a non-point. WatchLOI quality was fine last season and had just as little issues as some of the other clubs who hosted their own. Didn't Longford make a balls of their first few streams before they just decided to stream on Facebook? Commentary wasn't exactly glorious at times with WatchLOI, but that can be worked on. Nothing to suggest they couldn't come together with local commentary teams this season instead of bringing in RTE reporters. We don't know the finer details, but to be honest, if the commentary puts you off watching your team playing, then you have a bigger problem.

    4. Clubs can't do similar. No matter how much you dress it up, clubs can only do their their own individual thing. UCD, Longford, Drogheda and others provided quality streams at times last year, and that's without argument really, but it's not WatchLOI, nor is it similar.


    A properly marketed WatchLOI, actually paid for by supporters, rather than choosing illegal streams, and with a few slight improvements this season, will be invaluable for the league going forward.

    I don't even care for the second or third cameras or that sort of craic. A second commentator would take the heat off the main one. That's a tough gig for 90 minutes by yourself.

    The second thing I'd implement is a means of casting WatchLOI onto Google chromecast or onto a smart TV. The hosting site isn't without issues, and I'd hope that's sorted before the season starts.

    We've long said that clubs should all be pulling in the one direction for the better of the LOI. The complaints from some clubs smack of both arrogance and selfishness, and no interest in grouping together to create a product for the league as a whole.
    Excellent post Nigel.
    WatchLOI was Chromecast compatible last season.Hopefully remains that way for its run this season.

  9. #68
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,108
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,130
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    991
    Thanked in
    666 Posts
    I'd consider the average viewing figures of 2600 per game (boosted by the BCD situation and if ive gotten that figure correct) as reasonable but thats obviously very different from what would be considered a commercial success especially by RTE. It is a service too so gauging success shouldnt be just on money in the pot. That said it cant be a big loss making service either. The expected figures seemed a bit ambitious but Id presume that was based on the stats from RTE Player and games broadcast. I'm not sure if it is possible to measure, nor did I think to snoop and see if the games were being onward streamed by mobdro or the like and the sub being bypassed. As mentioned though there has to be some middle ground where RTE can reduce cost and games still being covered by clubs themselves possibly, and maintain coverage. Subscriptions levels cant be improved if there is no presence, consistency and over more time, chopping and changing etc. Taking the production effort by Dundalk today, as good if not better than WatchLoI, if that can be done at less cost than whatever production company RTE uses surely thats an angle to explore with maybe one front end access point like WatchLoI.ie - maybe its not so easy to do from a technical point of view? I could be over estimating potential but i've found that there is interest in LoI abroad, a curiosity that can bite. I know that associations with gambling companies is divisive but via such associations there is a market that isnt just us homebased LoI lot. If you want to grow a niche like LoI beyond traditional following these offer a possible platform - especially during that summer football window where other leagues are in off season. It was possibly in the minds of our American overlords at DFC with BetRegal as our new sponsors - supposedly the biggest sponsorship deal in LoI. Selling a piece of yer soul for some but if we want to improve the level of exposure of the product and by extension money in the league such choices need making. It already was being done with that poor quality webcam like stream, of which I cant remember the name of who was doing it.

  10. #69
    Youth Team Burnsie's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    167
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    80
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Excellent post Nigel.
    WatchLOI was Chromecast compatible last season.Hopefully remains that way for its run this season.
    It wasn't castable from iPhone/iPad. Maybe different on android devices. I was able to get it going from a laptop a couple of times but even that wasn't very reliable.

  11. #70
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    318
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    89
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    I found the best way to watch to be through the browser on the firestick... bookmark the home page and it was always handy and was spot on.

    That being said I wonder if the dodgy TV streaming platforms (IPTV/Satplex) are going to have the games available. It would hit subscribers knowing that they were. I didn’t check last year as I had WatchLOI. I must enquire with my own provider the chances of the WatchLOI service being featured on there.

  12. #71
    First Team D24Saint's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perpetual lockdown
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    127
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    224
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    I couldn't get chromecast to work last season or the built in browser on my smart tvís. I had to link the laptop to the tv with a hdmi cable. It did the job but bit of a pain in the neck.
    Last edited by D24Saint; 26/02/2021 at 11:44 PM.

  13. #72
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    81
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    234
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    It wasn't castable from iPhone/iPad. Maybe different on android devices. I was able to get it going from a laptop a couple of times but even that wasn't very reliable.
    Fair enough,wasn't taking iphone or ipad into consideration . Was mostly from laptop i was casting. Internet speed was also important.You'd need over 4mbps speed from your provider for decent picture and prob over 10mbps for HD picture.I was casting from Windows 10 laptop with a 50 mbps connection. Hopefully thats something the guys from WatchLOI can work on for people casting from devices other than my own.

  14. #73
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,694
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    577
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    416
    Thanked in
    318 Posts
    Not Watch LOI but seems very good feedback today on the DFC stream of the Bohs game earlier today, I watched half of each half (if still with me), and it was absolutely quality.

    The commentary by LMFM lead football guy, and Stephanie Roche worked out very well too.
    #DundalkFC - 5 titles in 6 years 2014-2019 / FAI CUP Winners 2020

  15. #74
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    236
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    91
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Not Watch LOI but seems very good feedback today on the DFC stream of the Bohs game earlier today, I watched half of each half (if still with me), and it was absolutely quality.

    The commentary by LMFM lead football guy, and Stephanie Roche worked out very well too.
    It was brilliant, I turned it on just after kickoff but I believe there was pre match buildup. At half time they showed an interview Stephanie Roche did with Abibi the day before, followed by a chat with club sponsors. During the game there was 2 different camera angles, replays and a commentator and co-comm that actually know the game as well as the correct names of players. Streets ahead of WatchLOI, just as the Doppler Media productions were last season

  16. #75
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,108
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,130
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    991
    Thanked in
    666 Posts
    Yeah I agree totally Oriel, there were no frills, just a good commentator and a pundit that knows the game and the league. Gantry and pitchside cameras. Couple of gremlins for in match replays but nothing major. Pre recorded interviews at half time and some local business adverts. It cant have cost a fortune though there probably was a good bit of volunteer involvement from the DFC media side of things so if it were to be done by them how much can you ask them to do before it becomes almost unfair. Even if people were involved were to be paid im sure it would be significant less than the GAAGO or whatever the production company for WatchLoI is.

  17. Thanks From:


  18. #76
    Apprentice Sidefx's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    51
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    It was brilliant, I turned it on just after kickoff but I believe there was pre match buildup. At half time they showed an interview Stephanie Roche did with Abibi the day before, followed by a chat with club sponsors. During the game there was 2 different camera angles, replays and a commentator and co-comm that actually know the game as well as the correct names of players. Streets ahead of WatchLOI, just as the Doppler Media productions were last season
    Yep, absolutely agree with that - excellent work - it was everything that WatchLoi should be but isn't/wasn't. Commentators actually knew what they were talking about and as above knew the players names - what a novel approach!!

  19. #77
    Coach
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,563
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    693
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,501
    Thanked in
    1,005 Posts
    I threw it on for a minute or two as people on social media were raving about it, it was terrific. Stephanie Roche is carving out a nice media profile for herself, fair play to her. A regular in Longford over the past few years as her partner plays for LTFC. Well liked by everyone by all accounts and always willing to talk to kids etc.
    Yo no soy marinero. Soy capitan.

  20. #78
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,694
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    577
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    416
    Thanked in
    318 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I threw it on for a minute or two as people on social media were raving about it, it was terrific. Stephanie Roche is carving out a nice media profile for herself, fair play to her. A regular in Longford over the past few years as her partner plays for LTFC. Well liked by everyone by all accounts and always willing to talk to kids etc.
    This is great to hear, as to be fair I think she can quite rightly be called 'a star'. Judging by her performance yesterday, she can easily progress with even further media work, lovely way of pausing before answering / commenting on a player, she knows the game. LMFM guy Adrian Taffe might get a little bit excited but he knows his stuff also.
    #DundalkFC - 5 titles in 6 years 2014-2019 / FAI CUP Winners 2020

  21. #79
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,108
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,130
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    991
    Thanked in
    666 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    This is great to hear, as to be fair I think she can quite rightly be called 'a star'. Judging by her performance yesterday, she can easily progress with even further media work, lovely way of pausing before answering / commenting on a player, she knows the game. LMFM guy Adrian Taffe might get a little bit excited but he knows his stuff also.
    I know thats not a criticism but being from a radio background they do have to work harder to try and get the game across. Less need for excitability for TV/streaming but he is still very good and hopefully becomes a more regular commentator of streamed games - be that locally or further afield. Roche is going to be a fixture for football TV punditry sooner than later as she was a natural at it, probably has been doing media training, pitched things really well but there does need to be that edge in insight - similar to Kenny Cunningham I think.

    Gavin McLoughlin could well be due a lot of credit as he probably organised things.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 27/02/2021 at 4:34 PM.

  22. #80
    Coach
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,563
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    693
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,501
    Thanked in
    1,005 Posts
    She's been doing Premier League games for Premier Sports quite a bit in recent months.
    Yo no soy marinero. Soy capitan.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RTE: Quinn on WATCHLOI: 'Was it worth doing this? Yes'
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25/08/2020, 10:30 PM
  2. FAI: WATCHLOI Half-Season Pass launched for just Ä39
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25/08/2020, 7:00 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14/08/2020, 1:20 PM
  4. FAI: Ireland internationals support WATCHLOI
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28/07/2020, 3:50 PM
  5. FAI: WATCHLOI | Live Streaming Service Launched
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27/07/2020, 1:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •