Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: WatchLOI

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    An unenviable task as there's a certain flair required for wrestling commentary.
    You talking to me?

https://twitter.com/aidanmcnelis/sta...306688/photo/1
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

4. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Is it good news ? If you saw what Longford managed to put together for nothing (or very little) last weekend I don't see much need for WatchLOI to return as long as clubs are willing to do similar.

I also think this "for the first half of the season" really means until the GAA is back.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boynemunich View Post
    Is it good news ? If you saw what Longford managed to put together for nothing (or very little) last weekend I don't see much need for WatchLOI to return as long as clubs are willing to do similar.

I also think this "for the first half of the season" really means until the GAA is back.
    Id say an already weak income from season passes will be further hit if they cant guarantee if your team will be shown every week. I rarely watched other clubs games last year and at that it was a half of football here and there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boynemunich View Post

I have a number of issues with this "let the clubs stream themselves" business.

1. The lack of a central hosting site. Streaming games on Facebook is all well and good until you realise you're effectively counting out the vast majority of your older support, plus all those people who have deactivated social media accounts over the past year or two.

2. Said central hosting site has a single fee that covers streaming all games from all grounds. Paying X amount to watch Longford games is all fine and dandy, until a Shamrock Rovers fan who has paid X amount to watch all Shamrock Rovers games suddenly finds himself having to pay again to a different club for the privilege. A once off ticket for WatchLOI covers all of that without any hassle.

3. The quality issue is a non-point. WatchLOI quality was fine last season and had just as little issues as some of the other clubs who hosted their own. Didn't Longford make a balls of their first few streams before they just decided to stream on Facebook? Commentary wasn't exactly glorious at times with WatchLOI, but that can be worked on. Nothing to suggest they couldn't come together with local commentary teams this season instead of bringing in RTE reporters. We don't know the finer details, but to be honest, if the commentary puts you off watching your team playing, then you have a bigger problem.

4. Clubs can't do similar. No matter how much you dress it up, clubs can only do their their own individual thing. UCD, Longford, Drogheda and others provided quality streams at times last year, and that's without argument really, but it's not WatchLOI, nor is it similar.

A properly marketed WatchLOI, actually paid for by supporters, rather than choosing illegal streams, and with a few slight improvements this season, will be invaluable for the league going forward.

I don't even care for the second or third cameras or that sort of craic. A second commentator would take the heat off the main one. That's a tough gig for 90 minutes by yourself.

The second thing I'd implement is a means of casting WatchLOI onto Google chromecast or onto a smart TV. The hosting site isn't without issues, and I'd hope that's sorted before the season starts.

We've long said that clubs should all be pulling in the one direction for the better of the LOI. The complaints from some clubs smack of both arrogance and selfishness, and no interest in grouping together to create a product for the league as a whole.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Thanks for the common sense post Nigel! Has been in short supply in discussions around WatchLOI - mostly on another well-known forum platform where some seem to think RTÉ is actually making money from the service. (Insert massive eye roll emoji)

WatchLOI is actually a huge financial and resource commitment from RTÉ to LOI football. Public service broadcasting entails tendering for services and facilities to ensure value for money but there is a minimum amount of money that even a streamed OB will cost which has sod all to do with how much money a commentator is on for instance.

Take up figures last season were pretty much exactly where I thought they'd be, if others had much higher expectations around numbers that's their business.

I have my own opinions on WatchLOI as we all do but as Nigel points out for it to work it needs to be on one platform with consistent pricing and service. I have no doubt there is a compromise to be made down the road with clubs providing their own local commentators etc but it will still need a central home - whether RTÉ is involved or not.

As for the the initial commitment being for the first half of the season as reported by Paul O'Hehir yesterday, that's down to RTÉ's coverage of the Euros and an optimistic hope that crowds may be allowed back later this year negating the need for a streaming service. Nothing to do with RTÉ's GAA coverage as I've seen speculated elsewhere.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Not having a go at you WAR but unfortunately I'd say it's a rather unrealistic hope that crowds will be allowed back to any significant degree this season. Maybe 200 people or so.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Not having a go at you WAR but unfortunately I'd say it's a rather unrealistic hope that crowds will be allowed back to any significant degree this season. Maybe 200 people or so.
    Totally agree, just pointing out that there is optimism in some quarters that crowds may be back.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Some good points being made here.
    WatchLOI certainly still had room for improvement last year, but it's still much better to have a single platform showing all games than having 20 different ones with inconsistent pricing and quality, nevermind having to figure out where a game is shown and how you register. What somewhat surprised me last year, and I thought it's a missed opportunity to make WatchLOI more viable financially, is that there were no ads thrown in at half time. Was that not considered at all, or was there no interest from advertisers?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Thanks for the common sense post Nigel! Has been in short supply in discussions around WatchLOI - mostly on another well-known forum platform where some seem to think RTÉ is actually making money from the service. (Insert massive eye roll emoji)

WatchLOI is actually a huge financial and resource commitment from RTÉ to LOI football. Public service broadcasting entails tendering for services and facilities to ensure value for money but there is a minimum amount of money that even a streamed OB will cost which has sod all to do with how much money a commentator is on for instance.

Take up figures last season were pretty much exactly where I thought they'd be, if others had much higher expectations around numbers that's their business.

I have my own opinions on WatchLOI as we all do but as Nigel points out for it to work it needs to be on one platform with consistent pricing and service. I have no doubt there is a compromise to be made down the road with clubs providing their own local commentators etc but it will still need a central home - whether RTÉ is involved or not.

As for the the initial commitment being for the first half of the season as reported by Paul O'Hehir yesterday, that's down to RTÉ's coverage of the Euros and an optimistic hope that crowds may be allowed back later this year negating the need for a streaming service. Nothing to do with RTÉ's GAA coverage as I've seen speculated elsewhere.
    Yep,good news if we can see the first half of the season on a single platform.Thought that Watch LOI last season was a decent effort for only €50 ( paid for it before I knew that Bohs were covering it for members/st holders) found myself dipping into most games that I would normally have little interest in. Harps recovery away to Waterford springs to mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Im a bit divided over WatchLoI. It is the sort of service we have been shouting about needing for years. Now that it was there, albeit forced by circumstances, I think there was a reluctance by fans to sign up. It probably had to do with the uncertainty and with season ticket holders wanting clarity on what was happening with BCD games. I dont think any new product should be canned within months but I also get that RTE cant continue to subsidise a significant loss making project either considering their financial state. Maybe a mixing it up arrangement can be worked out where games are designated as being streamed in advance and those that are not on the schedule, clubs can do their own thing if they so wish. I didnt pay for a season pass but I certainly watched more games not involving my club that ever before (probably to about the €50 if not more). Instead of a season ticket for all games, maybe an additional option for games of a particular club might have worked better.

I do think as LoI fans we want a fair crack at things but then are very fussy when there is some initiative. Maybe its a Dundalk fan thing but you almost get the impression from some fans that the club should be paying them to go to/watch games - a ridiculous sense of entitlement. It holds us back with this 'whats in it for me' thinking; The answer being watching your team playing football, viewing a product. Sligo fans always impress me in that manner as they seem to see the bigger picture for their club rather than just what the individual gets and hence the generally successful fundraising.

Just maintaining a consistent presence would grow interest in the likes of WatchLoI imo. A lot of people were skeptical initially.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Are there any other options on the table? Is RTE the only one that could provide the stream? Is GAAGO as bad as WatchLOI or do they use multiple cameras, commentators and analysts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    In the long run, when fans are back, I'd be happy paying for an automated service that covers the whole league. Don't need comms. Especially when the crowds are back, I like hearing the sounds in the ground. Basically the betting streams with a reasonable quality camera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohsmug View Post
    In the long run, when fans are back, I'd be happy paying for an automated service that covers the whole league. Don't need comms. Especially when the crowds are back, I like hearing the sounds in the ground. Basically the betting streams with a reasonable quality camera.
    I agree with this id be happy to pay to see all Rovers away games as well as my season ticket for the home ones once we get back to normal
    the other matches would be a bonus

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai...roadcast-deals

Details announced. Sounds quite promising.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I agree with this id be happy to pay to see all Rovers away games as well as my season ticket for the home ones once we get back to normal
    the other matches would be a bonus
    It'd be the perfect scenario for me as Id only get to the occasional away game and funnily enough they'd more often be games ye pick in advance and stay over eg Cork/Galway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I wonder why there's going to be what sounds like a website separate to WatchLOI in LOITV for the First Division and Women. Seems a bit overly complicated?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Separate camera technology that's nothing to do with RTE apparently.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    The camera system for LOITV seems to be the one that made headlines some months ago for following a linesman's bald head instead of the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    A youtube channel that collected the highlights from WatchLOI could probably replace MNS/Soccer Republic. The various podcasts already do a better in-depth job of talking about the issues than the show. By the time it became Soccer Republic, it was already an outdated format for the league.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast