Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: WatchLOI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Regardless of what the clubs paid for the passes the value if u had to buy it was the price u would have paid for it.
    Ive no problem with that. If the clubs had paid full price and the fai gave them a grant for running costs the net effect is the same
    The economy of truth is the value here, being misled doesn’t sit well with me.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Clubs have shown that they are capable of doing an excellent job of streaming games. IF there were any financial resources directed to WatchLoI they should go to the clubs to do their own thing. In principle trying to share the wealth was a good thing but was it really expected to make any significant money!? As mentioned it takes longer to establish a service than part of a season. I'd watch any game crowd or not so liked the service and would like to have the continued option to see away Dundalk games that I cant get to even when crowds are back. One major positive of clubs doing their own streaming is less having to hear Dundork, nails on a blackboard!

That figure of an average of 2600 watching EACH games isnt at all bad even if 11k subscribers fell short of the target. Im not sure how they expected significant overseas numbers or how they gauged that market, ex-pat fans (no pun intended) may have known about the service and used it but how could any figures be guesstimated - maybe from RTE Player figures? With the approximate €7mil loss made by RTE in general, spending 300k on a fringe service isnt going to make sense when clubs can manage things themselves by and large and for much less. Its not as if there were pundits on the WatchLoI platform. Its not directly related but clubs worry about lost gate income when games are on TV so imo club provided streaming helps mitigate against that thinking which is anecdotal rather than there being concrete figures of the impact of such a trend. Streaming by clubs could be jointly marketed and branded and with the FAI assisting with 'signal costs', throw in some adds?. I dont know whats involved so maybe naïve but the Dundalk preseason coverage was excellent, with in match replays, commentary and punditry. Any 1st Division coverage I saw were also top notch. Why not utilise the many film + TV/media course students and if organised provide course credits so costs are reduced and would have their own equipment etc.

Its a worthwhile effort in its infancy but the baby shouldnt be thrown out with the bathwater (apologies at this dreadful pun too). Going forward and even when BCD ends there is still the summer season angle to push when other leagues have finished if an international market is hoped for.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 09/02/2021 at 11:38 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I am intrigued with Premier Sports expressing an interest wots in it for them considering they are a Uk based Co? Considering that NIFL games are shown on Sky Sports live I would have thought it would be the latter!
    Need something to fit in between the Ice Hockey and Ice Hockey and oh the Ice Hockey.

I wouldn’t go anywhere near them.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    The economy of truth is the value here, being misled doesn’t sit well with me.
    Fair point if they said they were paying full whack.
    My understanding was clubs did have to pay a much reduced rate but that it was not free

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I am intrigued with Premier Sports expressing an interest wots in it for them considering they are a Uk based Co? Considering that NIFL games are shown on Sky Sports live I would have thought it would be the latter!
    Sky don’t show Irish League games through choice it is part of the deal for showing the north’s international games that they show 5 per season I believe (open to correction on specifics) and I suspect they would get rid of it in a shot if they could.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    Surely the subscriptions (4700 ish) alone would have covered RTEs €300,000. Then add in the €5 PER individual game passes is another roughly €30,000.
    If season ticket holders didn't avail of this "free" pass you could probably throw up to another €100,000 into the pot. Were people really hoping RTE was going to be a small fortune or something?
    There are definatways to cut costs and get sponsor's money and RTE should be looking at doin that and provide the service they should.
    Also the average DROPPING to 2,600 doesn't seem too bad when you consider a lot of games were nothing games, I would have expected these "low" averages.
    Fair points, but I suppose there's the point that €300k was to show what - 13 rounds of games? 2021 is 36 games; that's a huge scale-up. If production costs are linear (ie if it's a set amount per game), then you're looking at €800k+ to show the full 2021 season. That in a position where they may see subscriptions dropping off further for the new season.

I'm not sure there's significant scope for cost-cutting there either if it's about €5k per game. You presumably need an OB unit, commentator, production crew, etc. If you reduce it to €4k per game, that's not going to dramatically change the economics of the thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    No professional commentators would save money. The club should provide their own if it’s available if not then just the ambient sound.
    iFollow in the UK use whatever local BBC radio feed is available. No reason why that couldn't be managed here.

300,000 production costs for 85 games. roughly 3,500 per game - struggling to see how the games down in Turners Cross cost that much.

RTE, through GAAGO covered League Division 4 games which according to them must have been run at a loss. We are the poor relation here again. I know rte shouldn't be expected to run at a loss but there should be an element of public service come into this and if games are BCD then something should be provided imo.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Clubs screening their own games is the way to go. I watched nearly all of Drogheda's games last year. Quality (of production) wise, home games were fine, as were most away games (except for Bray, which was amusingly dreadful). Not up to professional Watch LOI standard, but enough to keep fans happy.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Siobhan Madigan's commentary could have been used as a torture mechanism in Gitmo. As mentioned above, games like Finn Harps vs Shels in the rain, with no crowd, and her voice, wasn't very attractive. Though watching games with Jon Kenny was a much better experience. It's disappointing it's not back, or may be so in a greatly reduced format, but the production values were too low.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    In fairness I was chatting to Siobhan before that game and it was literally her first time commentating on a football match. Tough gig for anyone to make that game sound decent, never mind when it's your first time.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    In fairness I was chatting to Siobhan before that game and it was literally her first time commentating on a football match. Tough gig for anyone to make that game sound decent, never mind when it's your first time.
    You could tell , and the subsequent lack of improvement was apparent.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    In fairness that is no excuse for getting half the players names wrong.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Galway Utd had a local commentator, he's a fan, not sure if he works in broadcasting. He was poor enough in the first game but kept on improving and was good by the end of the season. A bit like Mícheál O'Muirceartaigh, a bit in Irish, a bit in English and family backgrounds on nearly everyone! Hope he does it again this season and gets a former player in on co-commentary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Galway Utd had a local commentator, he's a fan, not sure if he works in broadcasting. He was poor enough in the first game but kept on improving and was good by the end of the season. A bit like Mícheál O'Muirceartaigh, a bit in Irish, a bit in English and family backgrounds on nearly everyone! Hope he does it again this season and gets a former player in on co-commentary.
    That makes a big difference. Especially with an inexpereinced main commentary. There are lots of radio stations that do top class coverage (LMFM for Dundalk and Drogheda, BBC Radio Foyle for example).

I think the best thing with WatchLOI wasnt even the game coverage, but how highlights of the matches could be up on the likes of Twitter straight away. It kept chat going on the league, instead of previously having to wait until 'SoccerRepublic' (which by the time it came, a full two days of foreign football took everyones attention). Those little things really help naturally develop the league.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Sky don’t show Irish League games through choice it is part of the deal for showing the north’s international games that they show 5 per season I believe (open to correction on specifics) and I suspect they would get rid of it in a shot if they could.
    Yep in hindsight DCWA you are dead right! I remember reading about this before!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I thought Siobhan Madigan was a football reporter I thought?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Clubs screening their own games is the way to go. I watched nearly all of Drogheda's games last year. Quality (of production) wise, home games were fine, as were most away games (except for Bray, which was amusingly dreadful). Not up to professional Watch LOI standard, but enough to keep fans happy.
    In fairness, Bray's commentary was probably the best of all the Div. 1 games I saw, that man knows his LOI. UCD didn't have a broadband connection capable of sustaining a live stream! Wexford and Athlone were the very best I saw.
    All you zombies tweet tweet tweet.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    I thought the Bray guy was a bit dreary tbh; wouldn't go as far as StraightStory, but it was one of the weakest I saw (behind only Galway, I think it was, when the commentator has a runny nose and was sniffing every few seconds)

Appreciate it's a bloody hard job to keep talking for 90 minutes without repeating yourself of course, and fair dues to anyone who does it
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 12/02/2021 at 9:02 AM.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    I did a few commentaries for Finn Harps radio and it's a very difficult thing. But then these guys tend to only commentate whereas I was starting chants, drinking cans and shouting at refs at the same time. I miss it sometimes.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I did a few commentaries for Finn Harps radio and it's a very difficult thing. But then these guys tend to only commentate whereas I was starting chants, drinking cans and shouting at refs at the same time. I miss it sometimes.
    An unenviable task as there's a certain flair required for wrestling commentary.

24. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast