Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 UEFA Under-21 Championship

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    But he did call him up for a competitive game, and the lad said na thanks I fancy playing for England.
    Or at least tried to call him up. Not sure if he was named in a squad and pulled out like Grealish. Not sure how to edit as my posts get deleted whenever I try.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Not capping Rice in a competitive game was only a mistake in retrospect, at no point were there any calls for him to be promoted to the senior team.
    Well with the benefit of a retrospective view, we need to be a bit more canny in tying dual national players down one way or another.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Not capping Rice in a competitive game was only a mistake in retrospect, at no point were there any calls for him to be promoted to the senior team.
    I agree. See below. I'm referring more to the broader narrative that has been kicked around in the media. There are plenty of articles decrying MON's failure to cap him.

But he did call him up for a competitive game, and the lad said na thanks I fancy playing for England.
    You're being willfully obtuse here and I don't know why. There were opportunities prior to the Wales game. The benefit of hindsight is probably making them look a little more like opportunities than they really were at the time.

I'm not trying to make the point "F*ck MON, he was a crap manager and he lost us Deccie Rice"- it was a loose bit of hypothesizing on the Okoflex case.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Okoflex isn't eligible for England unlike that article states and never will be.

His move to Scotland put an end to that I think. Still though, it's madness he wasn't on the bench for both games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    I'm pretty sure Okoflex isn't eligible for England unlike that article states and never will be.

His move to Scotland put an end to that I think. Still though, it's madness he wasn't on the bench for both games.
    That’s an interesting point about Scotland, but is it correct? Isn’t there weird thing concerning UK residency that allows someone who has lived in the country for the relevant period to play for any of their home nations? The combined period of time spent in different parts of the UK could make him eligible to play for England and presumably the other ‘nations’ as well. Isn’t this how Taylor ended up playing for Northern Ireland?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    That’s an interesting point about Scotland, but is it correct? Isn’t there weird thing concerning UK residency that allows someone who has lived in the country for the relevant period to play for any of their home nations? The combined period of time spent in different parts of the UK could make him eligible to play for England and presumably the other ‘nations’ as well. Isn’t this how Taylor ended up playing for Northern Ireland?
    That was how Taylor qualified but there's agreement between the nations now that has closed that loophole. I don't know the timelines for Oko-Flex but he needed to be educated in England for 5 years before turning 18. By going to Scotland, the clock stopped on that time. He signed for Celtic in 2018 at the age of 16 and came back when he was over 18. So he needed to have been educated in England for 5 years prior 2018. When did he move over?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_e...ucation_clause
    The introduction of the new clause allows a player to gain eligibility for a British national team if he receives five years of education in the territory of the relevant association:
    d) He has engaged in a minimum of five years education under the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association.
    — Home nations agreement

Last edited by ColourfulPeanut; 23/11/2021 at 7:44 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    That rule has changed. Only way Okoflex can do similar now is if he applies for citizenship when he's eligible. You need to have a link to the home nation that you want to play for and he broke his link when he moved to Scotland from England.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA...%20they%20have

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Lee o connor seemed to play defensive midfield in the last 2 tranmere games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Lee o connor seemed to play defensive midfield in the last 2 tranmere games.
    He played there a few times for them last season and played well. Played CB in a back three for the last two league games too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Well with the benefit of a retrospective view, we need to be a bit more canny in tying dual national players down one way or another.
    Nope. If they are not that committed then good luck to them. I’d rather they walked away.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    He played there a few times for them last season and played well. Played CB in a back three for the last two league games too.
    Thanks. Is the right side of a back three his best chance of playing at a high level? Played centre half most of his youth career at utd but always right back all the way up with us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Thanks. Is the right side of a back three his best chance of playing at a high level? Played centre half most of his youth career at utd but always right back all the way up with us.
    Could very well be. I've seen some say he's not good enough to make it as a RB long term, and I'm not sure about that but do think he has a better chance of making it at a higher level playing in a different position.

When Keith Hill was talking about him playing as the holding midfielder said that Lee O'Connor has the football intelligence to play most positions. With more teams switching to a three at back I think he could be better suited at RCB or as a 6 in midfield.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Squad announced for Sweden on the 29th

Great to see Cashin and Odubeko in there. I must check how O'Brien has been going at Swindon. I believe McNicholas is on loan from Sligo at Cliftonville?

Quite a good side with lots of League One, Championship and a hint of Premiership exposure there to be picked.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 15/03/2022 at 11:45 AM. Reason: embedded tweet

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    O'Brien is doing reasonably well at Swindon - not setting the place alight or anything, but comfortably hold down a first team place.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Good to see it's live on RTE too. Only 21 players named in the squad so could except a couple lads from the U20s to be brought over too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Lee O'Connor and Conor Coventry seem to have been in the 21s squad for an age.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Good to see it's live on RTE too. Only 21 players named in the squad so could except a couple lads from the U20s to be brought over too.
    I guess it’s just because it’s a one game camp. Obviously could still see a few lads move from the u20s, Okoflex seems a contender. The likes of McEntee, Johansson, Noss, Ferry and Kerrigan all miss out…

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Lee O'Connor and Conor Coventry seem to have been in the 21s squad for an age.
    Coventry looks set to become our highest ever capped u21 by summer time, quite an achievement

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I was actually just looking for stats on that actually.

Graham Barrett with 24 is the record holder. Coventry is on 22. Lee O'Connor is on 20.

Not really a great record to have, especially with a smaller country. Though England's record holder is James Milner with 46!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    No Luca Connell? The chap has 371 posts in his thread.

23. Thanks From:

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast