Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 UEFA Under-21 Championship

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    I fully agree, too often we prioritize sentiment and “loyalty” to the detriment of tournament performances across many sports. We pick our best eligible team if we qualify, that is if the senior player is open to dropping down a level and doesn’t impact any senior outings or trainings
    At the end of the day loyalty is nice but loyalty doesn’t win you trophies or gets you far in tournaments. If success is what we want we need to be ruthless but if loyalty is what we want then just be loyal but we shouldn’t expect much success as a result.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    For Italy I would go

GK Maher

CB Cashin
    CB McGuinness
    CB O’Brien (presume McEntee is out)

RWB O’Connor
    CM Kilkenny
    AM Smallbone
    CM Coventry
    LWB Bagan/Adaramola (fitness permitting I’d go Bagan but wouldn’t mind Adaramola as a wildcard selection but Bagan hasn’t set a foot wrong and done well so see no reason to drop him)

FW Odubeko
    FW Ferguson

I feel the front 2 would compliment each other perfectly, Ferguson up top as the big physical CF and Odubeko to play off him, I think he is better technically than Kayode which is why he gets the nod for me. Odubeko is a lethal finisher and I feel Ferguson alongside him could help draw an extra defender giving him more space.

I feel this selection keeps us solid defensively but also gives us a shot and breaking down Italy.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I really like that team and system. Has Crawford given any inkling that he will revert to this system?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    He'll stick with the 4-3-3 I'd say. The interesting calls will be which one of Coventry, Kilkenny, Smallbone and Noss doesn't start in the midfield three and who he goes for up front.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    I really like that team and system. Has Crawford given any inkling that he will revert to this system?
    He hasn’t but he did go 3 at the back versus Sweden so don’t think it’s unthinkable.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    He'll stick with the 4-3-3 I'd say. The interesting calls will be which one of Coventry, Kilkenny, Smallbone and Noss doesn't start in the midfield three and who he goes for up front.
    Possibly but the last game versus Sweden he went 3 at the back, Crawford does have a tendency of picking his teams specifically for the opposition so if he has a specific plan to hurting Italy than this could be a game he might try a formation like this.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think we can safely say that they’re not out of contention for 2nd place
    Fair play to the lads. Monday's game was possibly the best we've ever looked playing under Crawford. Thought Montenegro would be the sticky one which dented our chances of qualification.

He got some stick for the changes that were made dropping Mipo who scored and assisted Friday night along with Tierney and Kilkenny, but he got it absolutely spot on with the midfield three.

Has been a tough task being a CF in this team but he got the balance of midfield spot on with playing Coventry, Smallbone, and Noß as the advanced MF rather than two 6s with Tierney as the advanced MF as he normally does. Smallbone was wasted out on the RW and hopefully he gets a move in the summer to play regularly as he looks the most likely of all our young players to be the one who can play next to Cullen like Hendrick does.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Possibly but the last game versus Sweden he went 3 at the back, Crawford does have a tendency of picking his teams specifically for the opposition so if he has a specific plan to hurting Italy than this could be a game he might try a formation like this.
    Yeah have a small feeling he could revert to what he did against Sweden away which was a must win game for us. If Italy win on Thursday could still change it up as it then also allows you to try out something for the playoffs as we possibly won't have any friendlies before it.

Only change I'd make would be starting Noß rather than a second CF to make it 3-4-2-1 to have the numbers advantage in midfield.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Yeah have a small feeling he could revert to what he did against Sweden away which was a must win game for us. If Italy win on Thursday could still change it up as it then also allows you to try out something for the playoffs as we possibly won't have any friendlies before it.

Only change I'd make would be starting Noß rather than a second CF to make it 3-4-2-1 to have the numbers advantage in midfield.
    I can see that argument, I do think we have enough with Smallbone Coventry and Kilkenny though!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Huge result tonight

Moldova held Switzerland to a 1-1 draw, which means the will almost certainly finish 2nd and with that draw all of a sudden the best runner up spot is now wide open!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts
    The play off table has already been updated on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_U...d-placed_teams
    It's probably going to come down to ourselves(15 pts), Ukraine(16 pts), or Denmark(13pts). Ukraine have to face an already qualified France in their final game tomorrow.
    Denmark have to play Scotland tomorrow, and Turkey on Tuesday, both at home

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The play off table has already been updated on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_U...d-placed_teams
    It's probably going to come down to ourselves(15 pts), Ukraine(16 pts), or Denmark(13pts). Ukraine have to face an already qualified France in their final game tomorrow.
    Denmark have to play Scotland tomorrow, and Turkey on Tuesday, both at home
    It adds another dilemma to our group, would we want Italy to be qualified going into our game meaning we’ve a better chance of getting a victory?

Ukraine are in a similar boat to us in this regard.

Denmark I would expect to get a minimum of 4 points so will definitely be there or there abouts in the table.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    For me I'm first and foremost hoping Italy batter Sweden. Have second spot secured and a free hit to possibly grab top spot in the second place rankings. If Sweden and Italy ends in a draw that's also great but fingernails will be down to the bare minimum and nerves sky high hoping Sweden don't get a last minute winner if it's heading towards a draw.

That lose away to Montenegro is gonna come back to haunt use in the end. Could end up beating Italy and still having to go through the playoff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts
    Sweden-Italy kicking off at 5, lineups here
    https://www.uefa.com/under21/match/2...eden-vs-italy/
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 09/06/2022 at 3:43 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Early lead for Sweden, which I presume is the result we least want. (Though I think we can't be out after today whatever the result?)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Early lead for Sweden, which I presume is the result we least want. (Though I think we can't be out after today whatever the result?)
    If Ireland get a result in Italy Ireland can’t be caught by Sweden regardless of what they do tonight.

It’s situations like this that make you regret the points dropped in Luxembourg & Montenegro…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts
    If Sweden win, we need a draw for a playoff and a win to top the group.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts
    yeah, it's bad. Not the worst, but bad.
    Looking at the current table - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_U...up_F#Standings - a win for Sweden puts them top on 20 points, with Italy second, on the head to head record (1-1 draw in Monza last October, plus a loss tonight in Helsingborg), and then us in third on 19 points, meaning we'll need to get at least a point from Italy on Tuesday to finish in the top two.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    We've always looked poor against Italy under Crawford, but we're in good form atm. Could see another performance like Sweden away if we have to get a result to finish second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts
    Ukraine - France about to kick off as well. Another game we have a strong interest here. The group positions are already decided - France are already qualified at the top of their group, and can't be caugh, Ukraine in the same situation in second. However, a win for Ukraine would put them top of the second placed sides table with 19 points
    https://www.uefa.com/under21/match/2...ine-vs-france/

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast