Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: League Sponsorship Renewed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts

League Sponsorship Renewed

So, we remain the SSE Airtricity League for another two years.

Womens National League under the same title sponsor now as well.

Nice to have continuity, but worries about money decreasing, and lack of alternatives coming to the fore.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Any information on what the deal is worth? Will SSE Airtricity pay the same as in previous years, but get the WNL on top for free?
    Not that I really expect official figures to be released, but the FAI could for once try to be a bit more transparent...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    The Indo says the previous agreement was worth €340k a year, but that they needed some persuasion to stay aboard this time, so I'd say it's decreased. Probably the Women's League was thrown in for free - obviously it's nice that the two leagues have the same sponsors, but it would of course mean that the same (or less) money has to stretch even further, which would devalue the agreement overall.

Prize money unchanged for 2021 apparently.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    A third of a million Euro each year for our league is pretty good if we look at it objectively/dispassionately. We're effectively just a minor sporting cult on the fringes of Irish society. It gives me no pleasure to say that, and no doubt some will squeal about it, but it's sadly the truth.

The middle of a global pandemic is not exactly the time to be driving a hard bargain for a relatively unpopular sport which hasn't essentially had live customers for almost a year either.

One thing I'd like to see the FAI get smarter about when negotiating league sponsorship is to push for more 'in-kind' stuff than just hard money. In an ideal world we'd push to have a sponsor who was prepared to really back and help promote the league, on the basis that it could then help their brand/business in return. The textbook example in Ireland is how Guinness sponsorship in the 1980s or 90s completely changed the appeal of hurling as a spectator sport, as it was on its arse prior to that.

SSE Airtricity have a direct relationship with hundreds of thousands of people in Ireland. They are regularly sending out paper and electronic bills, letters, emails etc. There is a massive opportunity within that to help promote the league and its clubs at little or no additional cost to SSE. The FAI should be jumping at opportunities like this. But the reality is that the FAI's number one, and essentially only, priority at the moment is its own finances. I doubt the idea of non-monetary promotion even crosses their mind.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    I have heard those ideas from FAI folks over the last year. We need to see more delivery for sure but it's certainly not true that it never crosses their mind.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I have heard those ideas from FAI folks over the last year. We need to see more delivery for sure but it's certainly not true that it never crosses their mind.
    Does it cross the meeting room table in sponsorship discussions though?

Either they're not converting those thoughts into proposals, or the proposals aren't compelling enough for the recipient. Either way the outcome is the same = it hasn't happened so far. Maybe it will this season for the first time. Let's hope so anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    That's what clubs have been told anyway, we're not in the sponsor meetings though. Although such a meeting with all 19 clubs involved would be quite a laugh.

It's a horrible time to try to secure sponsorship in all fairness. Many businesses are in bother, or have laid people off or just don't want to be seen to be spending money on sponsorship right now.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    A third of a million Euro each year for our league is pretty good if we look at it objectively/dispassionately. We're effectively just a minor sporting cult on the fringes of Irish society. It gives me no pleasure to say that, and no doubt some will squeal about it, but it's sadly the truth.

The middle of a global pandemic is not exactly the time to be driving a hard bargain for a relatively unpopular sport which hasn't essentially had live customers for almost a year either.

One thing I'd like to see the FAI get smarter about when negotiating league sponsorship is to push for more 'in-kind' stuff than just hard money. In an ideal world we'd push to have a sponsor who was prepared to really back and help promote the league, on the basis that it could then help their brand/business in return. The textbook example in Ireland is how Guinness sponsorship in the 1980s or 90s completely changed the appeal of hurling as a spectator sport, as it was on its arse prior to that.

SSE Airtricity have a direct relationship with hundreds of thousands of people in Ireland. They are regularly sending out paper and electronic bills, letters, emails etc. There is a massive opportunity within that to help promote the league and its clubs at little or no additional cost to SSE. The FAI should be jumping at opportunities like this. But the reality is that the FAI's number one, and essentially only, priority at the moment is its own finances. I doubt the idea of non-monetary promotion even crosses their mind.
    You are correct, but what we should also be considering is that despite every major hurdle, the standard of play in the league is still pretty high.
    If we had a proper sea change in the FAI's governance, and a complete plan to overhaul the league/ build a pyramid/ start properly distributing FAI funds to build proper grounds and essentially just get out **** together, then we could aim for more. The selling point being "look how good this was when it was the runt, imagine what'll be like properly fed". It's more useful to think of the league as woefully under preforming than some obscure pursuit that could never take off

The rugby provinces have sponsors of around half a million euro per year.We should be aiming for something like that. around 15,000 people go to LOI matches every week, the same as a rugby province attendance.
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    / build a pyramid/
    At least with John Delaney gone this no longer implies building an actual pyramid in reverence to the man himself, with the FAI's riches entombed within.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    As Mr.A said it's a terrible time to look for sponsors. I think I heard that SSE insisted on most of the money going directly to the clubs. If this is the case, it's arguably the biggest sponsorship deal in LOI history from a clubs point of view. Perhaps the FAI shouldn't have made it public until they received the final figures that they're going to receive in a government support package!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Just on the power of sponsorship I wonder if SSE's connection with the LoI would influence the decision in any way of LoI fans to switch or continue with them as energy providers?

Perhaps it is not about that directly and they are keen to raise general awareness of their company by supporting national competitions.
    "oh my, that was some beer we had last night, I think I feel like getting sick" Effin Eddie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    In a situation where there was not much of a price difference I would certainly go with a league sponsor, not sure about other folks.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Danske Bank( who sponsor the Northern League) have ran a couple of promotions where you get into games for half price on showing your Bank Card.

Good one to run would be “sign up for Airtricity and get into Bohs v Sligo(example) for €7.50”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post

I think LoI is more a niche interest in a wider interest in the sport rather than a minor sporting cult. The real sporting cult on this island is the GAA, im not GAA bashing here as fair play to them but in almost every aspect of how they posititioned themselves in Irish society would tick 'cult' boxes (in many cases Id switch out an 'l' for an 'n' when using 'cult'). Rugby was niche for a long time though had influence in key areas like in Donnybrook that pushed personal interest. For football we were in a position to reap all the rewards if it wasnt for the mé féin behaviour of generations (at least 2) of administrators at the FAI. Lost money, lost opportunity and lost credibility, compounded by an ongoing 10 year cycle of scandal, culling, and starting the cycle again with promises of change. Its a wonder that we can get sponsorship at all never mind in the dire finances of a pandemic.

If it wasnt for the Delaney stuff there was an improvement in the general perception of LoI - I'd like to think some of that had to do with the rags to riches story of Dundalk and how in a typically bizzare LoI way the team were appearing on Saturday night chat shows and Al Jazeera doing profiles on the club. There was a sense that people were buying in to this new bandwagon but the fly in the ointment was how this terrified those at the top table of Irish football. We alo had to endure some pretty awful international nights and whether getting to finals or not, people are ruthless about style and performances unless disguised by a late 'hail mary' goal.

Im not even sure what Im getting at here bar the frustration of 2 steps forward and 3 back path football here goes by and how LoI was used as the patsy by the FAI to represent all that was bad. I haven't given up though, and there are at least whispers that even in the FAI there is a recognition that the LoI needs to be a functioning part of the whole game here and could therefore move beyond being a freak show (especially if hammered in Europe). Its been said over and over here that we all know the issues but as Mr A has sid its about delivery rather than constantly pointing out the flaws. We are hamstrung more now than ever before by FAI finances, but it will turn around in due course and I hope that LoI clubs will have positioned themselves well for that time. If it is true that sponsors are in ways circumventing the FAI to ensure their league sponsorship actually goes to the league itd be great and what I mean by club being clever in positioning themselves. If the FAI brand isnt great then maybe go at sponsors from the angle of a league (maybe newly branded and named).
    Last edited by Nesta99; 28/01/2021 at 3:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Danske Bank( who sponsor the Northern League) have ran a couple of promotions where you get into games for half price on showing your Bank Card.

Good one to run would be “sign up for Airtricity and get into Bohs v Sligo(example) for €7.50”
    Even Derry games, as Airtricity moved into NI a few years ago, good idea this. Its not costing clubs anything to open a door, but I would imagine there would have to be a limit on times used, otherwise its half price and the club loses out on revenue.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/ban...te-loi-sponsor

Bank of Ireland on board as associate sponsor. Presumably this means the title sponsor of the FAI Cup, and financial backing towards the More Than a Club initiative.

No financial details released, but every little helps, as they say.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/ban...te-loi-sponsor

Bank of Ireland on board as associate sponsor. Presumably this means the title sponsor of the FAI Cup, and financial backing towards the More Than a Club initiative.

No financial details released, but every little helps, as they say.
    Bit of a surprise this but very much welcome. Wonder who was key in this assoc sponsor deal I wonder?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Well Bank of Ireland have a loan of 52m euro out to the FAI and I think it was the Chairman of BOI (Governor the position is called) who recommended the Chairman we have of the FAI in this new era for Irish soccer. So a little sponsorship is not a surprise with such close connections. The thing is it probably prevents any sponsorship from other financial companies.
    Cork Gaa deal with Sports Direct is 400k per year its reported.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Well Bank of Ireland have a loan of 52m euro out to the FAI and I think it was the Chairman of BOI (Governor the position is called) who recommended the Chairman we have of the FAI in this new era for Irish soccer. So a little sponsorship is not a surprise with such close connections. The thing is it probably prevents any sponsorship from other financial companies.
    Cork Gaa deal with Sports Direct is 400k per year its reported.
    Nothing can or will ever compensate humanity for the the horrors of seeing a semi clad Mike Ashley prancing around any football ground - Cork GAA hitting the bottom of the barrel and they thought hosting rugger and soccer in Croke Park was a sell out and to pacify Unionisism. Though neither Sports Direct or the GAA actually pay wages so common ground.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 05/02/2021 at 4:02 AM.

22. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Though neither Sports Direct or the GAA actually pay wages so common ground.
    I like this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast