Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mipo Odubeko F CF Maritimo b.2002

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    And subbed off with 8 mins to go in extra time. He barely touched the ball all the time he was on the pitch, and looked fairly lazy tbh. You'd expect him to be chasing everything down and busting a gut but he was just jogging round.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Subbed off again in the second half of extra time. He didn't play well. He didn't get involved and his runs were pedestrian. Hopefully doesn't impact too much and he gets another run before the end of the season. It was a thankless task and Lindelof and Maguire were quite comfortable dealing with West Ham.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    And subbed off with 8 mins to go in extra time. He barely touched the ball all the time he was on the pitch, and looked fairly lazy tbh. You'd expect him to be chasing everything down and busting a gut but he was just jogging round.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. He struck me as nervous as he was lazy. It looked as if he was chasing things down half-heartedly in the hope he wouldn't strip possession or make the pass. Similarly, his run were into United traffic and never at a place where his teammates were likely to put the ball.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    On after 55 minutes against Man United in the cup. Great opportunity for him.
    Which he did not take. You know it's bad when a substitute gets substituted.

Probably just too much too soon for him. He'll head back to the under 23s and hopefully join up with our under 21s in March if they have a friendly game organised.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    A player straight out of 23s football, not prepared whatsoever to play at that level. Hid throughout, kindest thing to say is that nerves got to him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I didn't see the game, but am I right in saying this is a case that the lad just bottled it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    That would be extremely harsh. West Ham were poor overall, blaming the 18 year old making his second appearance in senior football away from home is not on.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I don't think he bottled it, the opportunity probably just came around far too early in his development and he wasn't up to it yet. Which, given his age, isn't a disaster. Will probably go back to the Under 23s to continue his development and who knows, he might get another opportunity with the first team before the end of the season.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    I think it was nerves, there was moment shortly after he came on when Lindelof gave the ball away resulting in a 3 v 2 for west ham. Odubeko jogged alongside the guy with the ball without making a run of any sort, even though he was the extra player. A rabbit trapped in the headlights unfortunately and has been pushed too quickly. No one i can see blaming him for west hams defeat, but he has to do better than he did. the other 18/19 year old who came on, Johnson i think, made an impact and a contrast.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Watched the game from the second half onward, and he was fairly anonymous for his time on the field. Saw at least one incident of another player shouting at him. The incident mentioned in the post above was probably West Ham's best chance to score and was badly wasted. But West Ham generally weren't great, really struggled to break United down even when they had much more of the ball in the second half.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Good test of character for him now. Does he take the professional way and work harder now that hes got a taste of what it takes to play at the top?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    So many of our players have come good later in their careers: Stevens, Walters, McGoldrick, inter alia. It seems strange, then, to write off a teenager on the basis of one appearance, yet that is what we're seeing. Similar with Parrott.

I'm seeing virtual hysteria on another rival site. Really odd.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    So many of our players have come good later in their careers: Stevens, Walters, McGoldrick, inter alia. It seems strange, then, to write off a teenager on the basis of one appearance, yet that is what we're seeing. Similar with Parrott.

I'm seeing virtual hysteria on another rival site. Really odd.
    I think the difference is that we thought we had a "Golden Generation" coming through because of their relative success at underage level so it is disappointing when they dont instantly do amazing.

You are 100% right though, at 18 or 19 there is very few players who are Premiership ready and there is a massive step up from underage football to Mens football. I still think Parrott will be excellent and will learn a lot from this season. If he gets 1 goal he could go on a run. Odubeko come on at Old Trafford at 18 is a fantastic achievement but as I said hopefully it will give him the drive to do better and he will work his ar$e off. I do think taking him back off is bad man management of a kid but as long as he is coached properly in the next few days it could turn into a positive thing of giving him a bit of a kick to push forward.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Just to add to that, Phil Foden is a good parallel to talk about for a hyped up 17/ 18 year old.

He was brilliant in underage football, so many calls to get him into Citys team when he was very young. He got a couple games here and here but was handled very well by Guardiola. Its only really now at the age of 20 that hes starting to establish himself and he looks a phenomenal player.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I was checking the other day how many goals Dominic Calvert-Lewin had this season compared to last season. And then I noted the season before and before. His form when he was 21 and 22 was not far removed from that of Aaron Connolly. I think Connolly has so much time. Adam Idah is in behind Teemu Pukki who had a mare at Celtic and bad stints at Sevilla and Schalke in his early twenties. Obafami is another.

Now Mipo is proving why teenage strikers are so rare. Plenty time there.

Hopefully we are not too long more waiting to have consistent, top level goalscorers in the squad again.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Couple of articles on this lad today but the Indo one is paywalled where I think its mentioned about playing for us but something went on underage.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-40078324.html

The42 - https://www.the42.ie/odubeko-reactio...51166-Feb2021/

" “It’s an honour to get minutes for this club but unfortunately the result didn’t go our way,” he wrote. “Yesterday’s game has taught me a lot about myself and the levels I need to produce to obtain my dreams and help the team in the future.

“A lesson learnt and experience gained that I can only thank the manager for. Thanks to all the fans for the supportive messages. Time to step it up!”

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Good test of character for him now. Does he take the professional way and work harder now that hes got a taste of what it takes to play at the top?
    The key for any young player is not to be afraid to make a mistake, basically go for it. If you are going to have a bad game have a nightmare don't shy out of the occasion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Can anyone share the relevant part of the Indo piece where he references what happened playing under age?
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Can anyone share the relevant part of the Indo piece where he references what happened playing under age?
    Being discussed on his thread on YBIG if you can hold your nose long enough to stay on there to read it.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Being discussed on his thread on YBIG if you can hold your nose long enough to stay on there to read it.
    But they actually go to away games!

24. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast