Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mipo Odubeko F CF Maritimo b.2002

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Im gonna play devils advocate here. If someone came to you and said you would make millions of Euros more in your job but you have to get an English passport would you do it? I would and Im proud to be Irish. Your career is a different thing. If you really dont care one way or another what flag you have behind you then you make the decision of whats best financially for you and your family.
    Imagine how ****ed Wales would be if they had to go through the **** we have to go through when it comes to eligibility of players.

I always remember David Brooks still sticking with Wales even after being named the best player of the Toulon Tournament while playing for England…wish we had English born players that committed to Ireland, now we are at a new low where even players born and raised in Ireland are a flight risk to England.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I go over and back on this guy. Not everyone thinks the same way about nationality. Obviously we are all passionate Ireland fans or we wouldnt be posting on here so its hard for a lot of us to understand why someone would turn down a call up. But a kid who grew up with Nigerian parents in Ireland but moved to England as a young age is different to a guy who have lived in same town in Ireland all his life within 10 miles of where he was born.

He is a professional footballer who wants to make the most amount of money he possibly can in a short career. If he doesnt particularly feel very patriot about anywhere then he will make the decision that is best for his career. Its better he holds off to make that decision rather than doing what Rice did and play 3 full senior games, or Grealish who turns up to collect a player of the year award and then switch right after.

Ive lived in the States for a while now, my wife is Portuguese. If we had a son good enough to play international football god knows who he would play for. Shes as passionate about Portuguese football as I am about Irish, but yet he would grow up the US system. His sense of patriotism wouldnt be the same as a lad growing up in Galway.

Rory McIlroy has spoken about this in the past. He doesnt really feel a sense of patriotism for anywhere. He grew up in a divided NI. I think at one point he said he does feel British and he got hammered for it, yet he probably singlehandly kept the Irish Open alive for years and now he is playing for Ireland in the Olympics, like he played for Ireland as an amateur. But yet if you look at the comment section on an social media about Rory its full of idiots bitching about his nationality. The guy travels the world and lives in Florida, so what if he doesnt feel the same as James McClean.

My point goes back to Mipo. At times I've said we need to move on from him since he didnt turn up to the 21s, but if he genuinely is conflicted then lets see what happens. England doing so well in the Euros and seeing how the whole country went nuts probably wont help our case. Particularly seeing how Rice is treated as a hero in the club.

Even after all of that he still has only scored goals in the U23s. Parrott, Connolly and Idah have all done that and we are still waiting for them to kick on...... Mipo could end up being sh1te!
    I think your being too sound
    Mipo was born and raised here, he didnt go over to England as a kid like obafemi

Rory McIlroy should be nowhere near the irish Olympic team. He is British and should use team GB to get fit or whatever self serving thing he said

Best of luck in your gaff in September when we play Portugal !@

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Very harsh to describe McIlroy as British. If he felt that way he would compete for Great Britain, end of story.

As fans of the Irish football team, many of us have a patriotic streak, but the reality is for people who grow up in Northern Ireland, the idea of patriotism or nationalism can be interpreted as quite toxic or negative. I’ve always got the sense that Rory wanted to represent the whole island and that choosing one group over another was never comfortable for him.

I’ll still be rooting for Rory, and I hope Mipo lines out for us too someday, in spite of his agent’s clear meddling.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    IMHO, I think we should have learned our lesson from Rice and Grealish (with a heavy emphasis on Rice) and I would lock this thread until Odubeko joins up with a squad and plays. Or, preferably, until he earns a full cap that ties him to us. I get all the stuff about some young lads not having strong feelings on nationality but, in my opinion, these is are just guys acting like d**kheads, for want of a stronger word and wasting people's time in a very disrespectful way. I'd nip it in the bud right away but never close the door, obviously. If he wants to play I'm sure he can get in touch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Im gonna play devils advocate here. If someone came to you and said you would make millions of Euros more in your job but you have to get an English passport would you do it? I would and Im proud to be Irish. Your career is a different thing. If you really dont care one way or another what flag you have behind you then you make the decision of whats best financially for you and your family.

Not for one second
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Very harsh to describe McIlroy as British. If he felt that way he would compete for Great Britain, end of story.

As fans of the Irish football team, many of us have a patriotic streak, but the reality is for people who grow up in Northern Ireland, the idea of patriotism or nationalism can be interpreted as quite toxic or negative. I’ve always got the sense that Rory wanted to represent the whole island and that choosing one group over another was never comfortable for him.

I’ll still be rooting for Rory, and I hope Mipo lines out for us too someday, in spite of his agent’s clear meddling.
    He said he was british?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He said he was british?
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.the4...p2012/%3famp=1

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I can understand him playing for Ireland because he is Irish and grew up here.

I can understand him potentially wanting to play for Nigeria because it culturally a huge part of his heritage....maybe its in his parents, grandparents dreams etc.

Declaring for England is just a mercenary move and I don't care if he's only 18 etc. 'Picking' a country is not like picking your f**king dream club!

Anyway I'd love if we closed this thread now and focus on the lads who want to play for their country. Who wouldn't want to player for THEIR country?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I'll move the thread if and when he makes a decision about his international allegiance, same as I did for Rice and Grealish
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    I can understand him playing for Ireland because he is Irish and grew up here.

I can understand him potentially wanting to play for Nigeria because it culturally a huge part of his heritage....maybe its in his parents, grandparents dreams etc.

Declaring for England is just a mercenary move and I don't care if he's only 18 etc. 'Picking' a country is not like picking your f**king dream club!

Anyway I'd love if we closed this thread now and focus on the lads who want to play for their country. Who wouldn't want to player for THEIR country?

Well said!!!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Mipo Odubeko, new contract at West Ham to 2023 & season long loan to Huddersfield.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...ract-and-joins

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    If he can get game time there and doesn't look out of place, he'll be straight into the senior squad.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    If he can get game time there and doesn't look out of place, he'll be straight into the senior squad.
    If he'll honour us with is presence that is. Still, he's out in the world now, same as Parrott & Idah so lets see if he walks as well as he ( & his agent ) talks.

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Hasnt made Huddersfield match day squad for last few weeks, after making a few appearances at start of his loan. Like Parrott last year think this loan may be a wake up call.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport...t-ham-21871597

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Not in the squad again today and playing for their B team. Doesn't bode well for him at all.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He is a lemon 🍋. His attitude towards Ireland is amazingly obnoxious

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Not in the squad again today and playing for their B team. Doesn't bode well for him at all.
    Louie barry similar age more highly rated and touted can't get a look in at Ipswich a division down. Give the lad a chance an injury or suspension will get him a chance hopefully. He has handled his career very independently by leaving utd when he could have stayed but felt he had better options of playing at West ham and then getting out on loan when he could have stayed comfortable in West hams 23s scoring goals and getting the odd bench appearance for the first team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Louie barry similar age more highly rated and touted can't get a look in at Ipswich a division down. Give the lad a chance an injury or suspension will get him a chance hopefully. He has handled his career very independently by leaving utd when he could have stayed but felt he had better options of playing at West ham and then getting out on loan when he could have stayed comfortable in West hams 23s scoring goals and getting the odd bench appearance for the first team.

Nah, this loan isn't working out. Trust me, I watch Town every week. We're weaker than Ireland up front and Odubeko is nowhere near the team. Carlos has spoken about him but only in all the ways he needs to improve to get a game of any kind. Last year we had a lad from Ajax who played plenty of games, the year before we had Emile Smith Rowe. Mipo is a real disappointment.

27. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Loan spell cancelled and returns to West Ham:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...IzsOG-dIl2Evvy

29. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Tail between his legs. Another illustration of the gulf between youth/PL2 and league football. Hopefully he can secure a league 2/conference move for the remainder of the season. PL2 is no good for him at this stage. A lesson in humility is no harm for him

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast