Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mipo Odubeko F CF Maritimo b.2002

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    If they pull on the shirt they will be supported. If they do particularly well in an Ireland team that does particularly well they will be idolised. Previous national affiliations won’t matter a bit nor would any youthful indecision. The Irish sporting public are a simple animal.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Best of luck to the lads of dual nationality, whatever decision they make.
    But it would be nice for International Football as a whole if it were possible to avoid a Rice/Grealish situation in the future.
    I like the idea of a player having until their 19th/20th birthday to make a decision on their nationality and after that it's stuck.
    I also like the idea of a player having to have been born in the country they represent or have at least one parent born, rather than grandparent.
    But I know that will never happen.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    It's never going to be perfect and there will always be cases where supporters are left unhappy with decisions. Both Rice and Grealish made their decisions at 20 years of age, and that doesn't seem to have appeased many people. Especially in Grealish's case, given that he is an English lad that never featured in a senior squad for us, I think the criticism of him is way over the top. Rice I felt shouldn't have taken the senior caps if he wasn't fully committed, but that's just my own opinion.

I think half the problem is that most supporters are one country nationals and don't really understand the additional complications of being a national of two or more countries. Most of us here feel 100% Irish but it's not always that straightforward. In the end we'll win some and we'll lose some.

I think the new rules that draw something of a line at the 21st birthday help somewhat, the change I'd make is that I'd like to go back to a senior cap committing a player, regardless of age. Personally I'd be happy for players to chop and change as they wish at underage level, it's not that important anyway, but once you take a senior cap that should be it.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Could make his league debut this weekend against Burnley
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Its a real shame, we even have to worry/wonder if he wants to play for his country. it doesn't sit well with me
    I will taken it on the chin he he goes for Nigeria, but to try play for England if there is any truth in that, you will see me dressed as batman handcuffed to the Dail gate in protest

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Huh. I could scoff at both of you simultaneously. That'd be entertaining.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    If we had a team that wasn't as tragically poor as it has been over the past few years you would expect we could pick up more of these kids with dual nationality. The promise of a bit part in a few games for England at the Euros or World Cup must be so much more attractive than the thought of lining out for an Ireland team regularly beaten by the likes of Wales and Finland and with no hope of making any tournaments for the foreseeable future.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Its a real shame, we even have to worry/wonder if he wants to play for his country. it doesn't sit well with me
    I will taken it on the chin he he goes for Nigeria, but to try play for England if there is any truth in that, you will see me dressed as batman handcuffed to the Dail gate in protest
    Truth in what though? The baseless speculation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Has there been any indication whatsoever that this lad doesn't want to play for Ireland? Anything at all? Other than a suggestion based off a look at his instagram account?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Has there been any indication whatsoever that this lad doesn't want to play for Ireland? Anything at all? Other than a suggestion based off a look at his instagram account?
    Other than the fact he was conspicuously absent from the U17 competitive fixtures after playing the friendlies, then not lining up again for us and at the same time wiping away the Ireland pictures and references from his accounts but nothing else.

It's speculation but not baseless. No point worrying about it or not giving him the benefit of the doubt though.

If he's not with the U19s or given our options up front and the Qatar friendly, even the seniors in March then we can talk about it.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    No. I think Irish fans on some level just need the drama and the uncertainty.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    "wiping away the Ireland pictures" on his social media page. In the world we now live in, that is proof believe it or not. He might fingers crossed play for us, but a young guy doesn't accidentally do that

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Made the subs' bench again today, which is a good sign. Worryingly, however there was an English flag by his name when the line-up came on

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    The 5 year residency rule is terrible. Especially when a lad moves because of football. No way should England try to pick the lad. Have they any previous for this type of thing?

Poor form from the lad as well if he does decide to throw his lot in with them. It's not like your identity changes that much between age 12 and 17. I went to secondary school in a neighbouring county aged 12. It would be like me coming out after the leaving hoping to join their county set up. Unthinkable!

That said I wouldn't expect the lad to have built up much allegiance to Ireland in his early years given his background and demographic. If he decided to play the country of his roots/parents then absolutely fair enough. But England would be a real slap in the face.
    The dude abides....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    The 5 year residency rule is terrible. Especially when a lad moves because of football. No way should England try to pick the lad. Have they any previous for this type of thing?

Poor form from the lad as well if he does decide to throw his lot in with them. It's not like your identity changes that much between age 12 and 17. I went to secondary school in a neighbouring county aged 12. It would be like me coming out after the leaving hoping to join their county set up. Unthinkable!

That said I wouldn't expect the lad to have built up much allegiance to Ireland in his early years given his background and demographic. If he decided to play the country of his roots/parents then absolutely fair enough. But England would be a real slap in the face.
    Perhaps his Agent and Money come in to it !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    They have previous going all the way back to John Barnes. They had no problem calling Okoflex in to take a look at him either. If he qualifies, is considered good enough and wants to play, they will pick him.

21. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The five year residency only strictly applies to years spent in a country when you're over 18. FIFA do make exceptions for players who move at a young age but it's not guaranteed.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    The new regs have clarified this I think. For players who move to the new country between the ages of 10 and 18, they are eligible once they have lived there for five years. So, if Odubeko has been there for five years, or as soon as he is there for five years, he will be eligible. He will not need to switch nations as he has never played competitively for us. However, he would be able to switch to us or Nigeria in future provided he doesn't win multiple senior caps for England or represent them competitively after his 21st birthday.

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Of course Clubs would also prefer Players to Pick England if possible because being an England International or even a Potential England International puts a Premium of quite a lot of money on players including earning power for the player = = Thats the way it is.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    West Ham are likely to sell Declan Rice for huge money sometime in the next three transfer windows. If he wasn't playing for England, you can knock a large portion of his transfer fee off, so you can hardly blame West Ham for protecting their investment.

27. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast