Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Serbia V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 24th March 2021 - World Cup 2022 Qualifier

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    No, no he hasn't. At all.
    to be fair collins's record for luton at league one level was impressive, pretty much a goal every other game. dropped to 1 in 3 in his first season in the championship and i think he is in and out of the team now.

paddy madden had a good record at that league one too and couldn't step up. i would say that's a more valid comparison than mitro.

i do think he offers us something though, depending on the opposition.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    They are, and he has 38 goals in 62 internationals. And he was a sub, along with a €60m Real Madrid striker. Of our starters, only three players had even scored an international goal, Ciaran Clark the cream of the crop with two.
    It's about time more of us were realistic.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    No, no he hasn't. At all.
    TBF, it's not bad - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...orn_1990)#Club
    Averaging a little under one goal every three games for Luton since signing for them
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Ah I'm not slagging Collins off, he has a part to play. Just saying Mitrovic, the Real player, the Fiorentina player and Tadic recent CL semi finalist and a key player in his clubs run to that bring a few percent more than our lads in those positions do when the game begins. When we had two Keanes and a Duff we brought that, we don't atm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Being realistic I'd settle for victories against the two teams ranked below us in this group and being competitive against the teams ranked above us (a bit like last night). However more importantly after this campaign I'd like to think we will be starting the next Euro qualifiers with 5/6 young players who have progressed during this campaign and can be relied upon as regular starters going into the next one. That's what I think Kenny needs to achieve to earn a crack at the Euro 24 qualifiers. Away games against Luxembourg and Azarbajan will be crucial.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Mitrovic is a smashing player. He arrived at Newcastle as a 20 year old, and only got 2 seasons before they benched him, and then eventually sent him out on loan to Fulham.

He's got 52 goals in 127 appearances for them. In truth he's far to good for Fulham. If they go down he'll almost certainly move on.

What Stephen Kenny wouldn't give for a striker with that sort of record.
    But they went down before and he didn't move on?

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Collins currently has as many international goals as Robinson, Connolly, Idah, Parrott and Maguire combined. None of which says that he's either world class or terrible but I think he's getting a raw deal from some here.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    I thought RTE went a bit heavy on praising Serbia and their players- and then went off an made Alan Browne man of the match, but I digress. Tadic and Mitrovic are not elite are very good footballers and, yes, Tadic caused problems and, yes, we don't have Premiership striker to bring on in Mitrovic and that demonstrates strength in reserve. But go through the rest of their team- Eibar, Strasbourg, Fiorentina, Brugge, Crvena Zvedza, Torino, Valencia, Legia, Sassuolo- it wasn't as if they were absolutely stacked with quality. Mitrovic could have started over Djuricic and maybe the result would still be the same.

We started 7 Premiership players with varying levels of regularity of starts- O'Shea, Coleman, Stevens, Clark mostly in and Robinson, Doherty and Connolly in and out- with Cullen of Anderlecht and Molumby, Browne and Travers. Randolph and Egan improve that team immediately, and McCarthy on a good day.

Overall, we don't have the depth of squad or attacking quality of Vlahovic, Tadic and Mitrovic but that is borne out in a 3-2 result. I'm frankly delighted to see us get a 3-2 result and it is a fair scoreline. If we can find a standout in midfield and a quality striker then who knows how good we can be with a bit of time for Kenny to implement a style. God, I hate to say this, but imagine Rice and Grealish in that team last night....

Interesting to see the switch in formation. I wonder if having Anthony Barry on board helped facilitate the switch. 3-4-3 is a favourite of Tuchel so Barry has been well exposed to it at Chelsea. Granted, we played a 3-5-2 but Browne did push up when he could.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Luxembourg got the same result as us vs Serbia when they played in the Euro qualifiers. Although Mitro and Milinkovic-Savic started that game. Last night was our best change of a result against a Serbia in transition, with a new manager who'd had 2 sessions with them. Both teams were extremely sloppy in possession, not something I was expecting from Serbia, although they had rested some first teamers with an eye on Portugal.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    because we dominated the match, we had the ball apart from the first 10 minutes
    55% possession Serbia 45% possession Ireland. Dominant!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Pleasantly surprised by the generally positive mood around the support after the game. Glad to see that people are more realistic about things than I maybe thought many were. I think the second goal probably helped with that - we finished the game on the front foot.

If only we could leave out a player like Mitrovic because we had a player like Vlahovic coming through. Maybe we will have in a few years, who knows.
    Mitro, Milinkovic-Savic, Kostic, Jovic were benched with an eye on the Portugal game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Mitro, Milinkovic-Savic, Kostic, Jovic were benched with an eye on the Portugal game.
    Ya thats a good point they brought the big guns in early when things weren't going as easy for them.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I thought RTE went a bit heavy on praising Serbia and their players- and then went off an made Alan Browne man of the match, but I digress. Tadic and Mitrovic are not elite are very good footballers and, yes, Tadic caused problems and, yes, we don't have Premiership striker to bring on in Mitrovic and that demonstrates strength in reserve. But go through the rest of their team- Eibar, Strasbourg, Fiorentina, Brugge, Crvena Zvedza, Torino, Valencia, Legia, Sassuolo- it wasn't as if they were absolutely stacked with quality. Mitrovic could have started over Djuricic and maybe the result would still be the same.

We started 7 Premiership players with varying levels of regularity of starts- O'Shea, Coleman, Stevens, Clark mostly in and Robinson, Doherty and Connolly in and out- with Cullen of Anderlecht and Molumby, Browne and Travers. Randolph and Egan improve that team immediately, and McCarthy on a good day.

Overall, we don't have the depth of squad or attacking quality of Vlahovic, Tadic and Mitrovic but that is borne out in a 3-2 result. I'm frankly delighted to see us get a 3-2 result and it is a fair scoreline. If we can find a standout in midfield and a quality striker then who knows how good we can be with a bit of time for Kenny to implement a style. God, I hate to say this, but imagine Rice and Grealish in that team last night....

Interesting to see the switch in formation. I wonder if having Anthony Barry on board helped facilitate the switch. 3-4-3 is a favourite of Tuchel so Barry has been well exposed to it at Chelsea. Granted, we played a 3-5-2 but Browne did push up when he could.
    I said just after halfway through last night during the game, that Serbia didnt look dangerous, and they didnt really. Our defensive formation was generally solid bar a couple of individual(s)/individual mistakes. I still stick by that, they could leave their best players off for 3/5s of the game. They went up a couple of goals and took their foot off the pedal again. A draw would have been a good result for us, and I feel last night was the best chance in getting that - for the reasons you've highlighted above.

When you look at the premier league and the rest of Europe its performing very well in the European competitions and still attracts the cream of the crop. Serbia's starting 11 had a smattering of players from Italy and Spain but all generally mid table clubs. The rest were dotted around the European leagues. We downplay the premier league when it suits and overstate European leagues.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Would Jovic, Kostic and Mitro not be in the front 3? What about Tadic and Vlahovic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I thought RTE went a bit heavy on praising Serbia and their players- and then went off an made Alan Browne man of the match, but I digress.
    They've been picking the best Irish player, rather than a overall man of the match, for a while now
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    They've been picking the best Irish player, rather than a overall man of the match, for a while now
    I know. I stated I digressed instead of delving further into the patent contradiction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    The Kenny that does media can not be the kenny that you hear players talk about as a great man manager.
    He comes accross as unbelievably wooden and dopey
    You really don't like SK do you sbgawa?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    O'Shea is so raw but there's potential there
    Nah, he's been peddling the same stuff for too long now, pushing on a decade anyway.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    No i actually meant it as a genuine comment, you hear players who have played for him saying how motivational etc he was and he comes across terrible in interviews so i kind of meant that cant ne the real him ....if you know what i mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    There is only so much heart you can take from an hour's decent performance. It feels like a really disappointing result after leading the game, but to be fair the players fought right til the end to salvage something. Serbia never got out of second gear, really, and they do have a lot of quality, particularly in the final third. Tadic has come on so much since leaving Southampton for Ajax and he played with so much confidence last night it was frightening. I don't recall him ever looking as dangerous in the previous two games against them. Maybe the new systems of both teams had a part to play in that?
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast