Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Serbia V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 24th March 2021 - World Cup 2022 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    A gutsy performance in Belgrade followed by victory in Dublin must be the minimum requirement. That is certainly not asking too much. Surely we expect to beat Luxembourg in Dublin! Lowering the bar further than that reduces us to basket-case status. A bad defeat in Belgrade followed by a home loss to Luxembourg would shatter public confidence.
    I think we are in basket case territory; I don't think we will be still be there a year from now, whether Kenny survives in the interim or not. A win against Luxembourg isn't assured when we can't buy a goal. I'll grant you, a thumping from Serbia would make a win against Luxembourg extremely important to Kenny. We're 11/2 to win against Serbia - an 18% chance of a win. I'm curious to see what odds Luxembourg will have against us; I can't find any yet.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    It was me that said he was a brute, Mitrovic, that Kingdom charlatan is only slipstreaming my point.
    Thursday, 14:07. Do a search there Crafticus, then send for the Thanks Brigade.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

3. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'd have gone for Anthony Scully - 12 goals in 41 appearances for Lincoln this season, Lincoln looking good for a play off spot in League One, and he's overage for the U21s so it's not weakening their squad for the Wales friendly - or Jamie McGrath - 37 appearances and 11 goals for St Mirren this season, including a penalty at the weekend, and played under Kenny at Dundalk
    I finally agree with you!!! Those two but I would have brought back Aiden to lead the kids

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'd have gone for Anthony Scully - 12 goals in 41 appearances for Lincoln this season, Lincoln looking good for a play off spot in League One, and he's overage for the U21s so it's not weakening their squad for the Wales friendly - or Jamie McGrath - 37 appearances and 11 goals for St Mirren this season, including a penalty at the weekend, and played under Kenny at Dundalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    If we lose to Serbia and draw at home to Luxemburg ie 1 point from 6

Would anyone like kenny sacked? I wouldn't actually as I think he deserves the whole campaign
    I think the cards are on the table, he will end his task, in my opinion he is there to bring the youngsters, and then try to qualify to the WC, cant say that to the irish public, because irish public wants the WC. His choices are a bit odd for me, he seems naive at times.

1-An experienced goalie McDermott (even the season hasnt started yet) and Colin Doyle.
    2-McGeady in the team if McGeady wants to play again.
    3-didnt bring the in form players. McGrath, Scully Gallagher in MLS at the time etc
    4-didnt want to chase and convince dual pro players like Jackie did, even that was a different time. I think Mick McCarthy discovered a left back at Cardiff
    5-didnt change his system 4-3-3

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Now with a newbie as goalkeeper we might play 4-5-1 instead of a 4-3-3.

he would go with

............travers...........

coleman duffy clark stevens

doherty hendrick browne cullen brady

...........collins............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    Ah, the "please don't hurt me" of team selections.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Ah, the "please don't hurt me" of team selections.
    yeah that's correct! With the players at disposal he would go with that, cant see Connolly, Robinson and Shane Long from kick-off.

We need a point in Belgrado they are gonna be nervous too but they are very competent up front.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Lets go with the 1-10 formation !

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Lets go with the 1-10 formation !
    could be, its mandatory to get a point, because they play Portugal 3 days later, and the draw could pressure them to lose vs the portugueses

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Is that a real name?

Quite a powerful attacker I'd say. Bit of a mean streak to him too.
    Son of a despot.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I think most reasonable punters would be giving SK at least this full campaign in the job before pulling the trigger on things. The early appointment seemed like a blessing at the time (for him and many of us) but has turned into an absolute curse. Even though you cant help but feel like it has been a missed opportunity, some of the team selections he was forced to put out last year were laughable.
    I feel he has been quite lucky, given what's gone on, the general nonchalance of the Irish public towards any sporting teams. Little was said about a good win against England in the 6 nations even. Kenny has come in somewhat "out of" radar, there's still no pressure he's had the opportunity and many games to get to know his squad, players, positions, and formations relatively pressure free. By this stage he surely knows whats not working, and whos not working. By the next round of qualifiers a sense of normality will have returned (ireland maybe excluded :rolleyes) and he should have a very good idea of what the team needs and what he wants and how those around him can be best utilised to achieve that. So anything less than 3 points and he is in danger territory. Serbia have been a mixed bag, and if they are poor to start then we must take the opportunity we have missed there before. Other weaker sides have done it, we should too.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I feel he has been quite lucky, given what's gone on, the general nonchalance of the Irish public towards any sporting teams. Little was said about a good win against England in the 6 nations even. Kenny has come in somewhat "out of" radar, there's still no pressure he's had the opportunity and many games to get to know his squad, players, positions, and formations relatively pressure free. By this stage he surely knows whats not working, and whos not working. By the next round of qualifiers a sense of normality will have returned (ireland maybe excluded :rolleyes) and he should have a very good idea of what the team needs and what he wants and how those around him can be best utilised to achieve that. So anything less than 3 points and he is in danger territory. Serbia have been a mixed bag, and if they are poor to start then we must take the opportunity we have missed there before. Other weaker sides have done it, we should too.
    Well, well, well, welledy, well....
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I'll clarify it by saying that I'm generally well disposed to Kenny as a manager. I recognise that Luxembourg are better than they traditionally are and we're a bit pooh at the moment. All that being said, I'd expect us to beat Luxembourg at home (thought we didn't exactly batter them, 2-0 and 2-1, way back in the Euro 88 qualifiers) and while I wouldn't necessarily sack him outright (Charlton wasn't sacked after we drew with Liechtenstein) it's definitely one nail in the coffin if we can't win that game.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    One thing I dont get from the irish football manager (the most important job in the whole Republic) is that he contradicts himself all the time. I understand that he trusts the underage players, and wont pick up "complicated senior players", will trust in the shy James McCarthy and the good captain Seamus Coleman as senior players, but Coleman didnt play the last few times.

Kenny needs to be the leader of the team, that's why he will pick up younger players, but I read his goal is to get to Qatar, so you cant do both,

In Argentina we had a case with Daniel Passarella in 94/95/96/97/98 he brought the youth players to the national team, kicked out all the players who played for "Coco" Basile in USA 94 and he became the boss and witch doctor of our national team. Kicked out Fernando Redondo and Claudio Cannigia, because they had longer hair, like rock stars, and Pasarella ordered all the players to have a short haircut or a buzz haircut. They refused so they were frozen from the squad.

He brought "yes sir" players like Javier Zanetti, "Valdanito" Crespo, Seba Verón, "Kily" Gonzalez, Roberto Ayala.

Maybe Kenny is building for the future with "yes sir" young players he trusts

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I'll clarify it by saying that I'm generally well disposed to Kenny as a manager. I recognise that Luxembourg are better than they traditionally are and we're a bit pooh at the moment. All that being said, I'd expect us to beat Luxembourg at home (thought we didn't exactly batter them, 2-0 and 2-1, way back in the Euro 88 qualifiers) and while I wouldn't necessarily sack him outright (Charlton wasn't sacked after we drew with Liechtenstein) it's definitely one nail in the coffin if we can't win that game.
    under this global situation of Covid, national team federations cant afford to sack managers. Some reach an agreement for compensatory money if they resign. I think Colombia fired Carlitos Queiroz in late December, that's the one I recall

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    One thing I dont get from the irish football manager (the most important job in the whole Republic) is that he contradicts himself all the time. I understand that he trusts the underage players, and wont pick up "complicated senior players", will trust in the shy James McCarthy and the good captain Seamus Coleman as senior players, but Coleman didnt play the last few times.

Kenny needs to be the leader of the team, that's why he will pick up younger players, but I read his goal is to get to Qatar, so you cant do both,

In Argentina we had a case with Daniel Passarella in 94/95/96/97/98 he brought the youth players to the national team, kicked out all the players who played for "Coco" Basile in USA 94 and he became the boss and witch doctor of our national team. Kicked out Fernando Redondo and Claudio Cannigia, because they had longer hair, like rock stars, and Pasarella ordered all the players to have a short haircut or a buzz haircut. They refused so they were frozen from the squad.

He brought "yes sir" players like Javier Zanetti, "Valdanito" Crespo, Seba Verón, "Kily" Gonzalez, Roberto Ayala.

Maybe Kenny is building for the future with "yes sir" young players he trusts
    not sure the comparison quite works...

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    On paper, Serbia should batter us (just refer to some of the posts on the previous page) but it is 11 v 11 and i would be hoping for a competitive display even if we get no points at the end of the 90 minutes. They have Stojkovic at the helm too so that will bring something different (unknown) in terms of what their recent form might suggest. He'll certainly have them raring to go.

I think SK has been under all sorts of pressure. A large component of the press media has had the knives out since day 1 and that only intensified with last years results and the airing of the dirty laundry. A sizable chunk of the fans also will have him on a very short leash. The circumstances have shielded him from the vitriol (which would suggest some "luck") but not the nay-saying. He's been dealt a horrible hand in his first 11 months and some of the things you have suggested he has gained (know the players, what works/doesnt work etc) i would argue hasn't occurred and certainly not in anything approaching a normal way.

20. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    not sure the comparison quite works...
    Yes, because they were unknown, Zanetti and Verón were playing in 2 division, Verón had his father former player but his dad was bankrupt and working as a mechanic in an atelier of repair of cars.

All were from they youth set up, but they werent winners, actually we had winner of u-20 later with Aimar Saviola Cambiasso and Riquelme, I think we beat the Republic in one semi-final.

But the comparision is the same, get kids to do your mainstream idea, your game plan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    The sad thing is none of the injured contingent are really of any use to be honest with exception of John Egan. Would have liked to see Caoimhin Kelleher get some games aswell so that is unfortunate. Look at the below list and although its good to have options, but there is nobody there who will substantially improve our starting XI

Kevin Long
    Conor Hourihane
    Callum O'Dowda
    James McCarthy
    Jack Byrne
    Harry Arter
    Adam Idah
    Darren Randolph

Happy to see that Kenny has been railroaded into playing Josh Cullen, he deserved more of a look whilst at Charlton and I suspect he will come out of these games with alot of credit, but don't think he'd have got a chance if McCarthy and Arter were fit.

The players that Kenny has at his disposal are ripe for 3 at the back, he needs to adapt. 2 sets of full backs adept at playing as WB, although would like to see Coleman step in as part of back 3.

When everyone is fit i'd like to see us persevere with this:

------------------------------------------------------ Kelleher

--------------------------Coleman-----------------------Egan--------------------Clark

---------------Doherty----------Knight-----------------Cullen-------------Browne---------Stevens

----------------------------------------Parrot------------------------------Connolly

23. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    On paper, Serbia should batter us (just refer to some of the posts on the previous page) but it is 11 v 11 and i would be hoping for a competitive display even if we get no points at the end of the 90 minutes. They have Stojkovic at the helm too so that will bring something different (unknown) in terms of what their recent form might suggest. He'll certainly have them raring to go.

I think SK has been under all sorts of pressure. A large component of the press media has had the knives out since day 1 and that only intensified with last years results and the airing of the dirty laundry. A sizable chunk of the fans also will have him on a very short leash. The circumstances have shielded him from the vitriol (which would suggest some "luck") but not the nay-saying. He's been dealt a horrible hand in his first 11 months and some of the things you have suggested he has gained (know the players, what works/doesnt work etc) i would argue hasn't occurred and certainly not in anything approaching a normal way.
    Yes, but as Paul said he had the benefit of no attendance, imagine those results with a full house?

Serbia has better individuals but the are very moody, they can be off or on. We need smart players not very good players. If we are smart enough and use football sense streetwise footie, we can get a result

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast