Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Serbia V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 24th March 2021 - World Cup 2022 Qualifier

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Westwood started for Norwich today. Food for thought or has that ship sailed?
    I'd be surprised if he isn't named and with the debate about which of our fledgling keepers is marginally less of a risk experience wise, he has to be in the running to actually play the match too.

& when did he join Norwich ?
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 14/03/2021 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Oops, corrected. I'd have him in too but maybe it might be deemed too much a display of lack of trust in our other options, when they'll need to come in sooner rather than later anyway.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Westwood started at Norwich today. Food for thought or has that ship sailed?
    Beggars and Sailors can’t be too choosy.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Westwood started at Norwich today. Food for thought or has that ship sailed?
    A good catholic boy would surely not let the Republic of Ireland in its hour of need. He is an experienced head and probably the man for the Serbia game considering the circumstances.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The Given comparison was post #129, which was pretty much at the start of all this? Appreciate it wasn't you who made it though.

Yes, I think we're in trouble regardless. Kelleher I'd be ok with as I do think the Given comparisons stack up there. He's played a few games at a decent level and done reasonably well, but it's not clear if he'll be fit in time. Bazunu - "he isn't making bad mistakes every week" isn't a ringing endorsement. (The old joke about the two guys fleeing a lion comes to mind - I don't need to be fast to survive, I just need to be faster than the other guy. PotM just means he's showing better than the attacking players who haven't scored in seven games) Travers - yeah, also wouldn't be confident. And then you add in that we've also got no forwards and our competitiveness thus far under Kenny has needed some good performances from Randolph, and you get my earlier conclusion that I'm worried about the Luxembourg game, never mind Serbia.
    The Given comparison was made by me, and I still think it's relatively valid.

When Given was called up he had been released by Celtic, signed by Blackburn and been on loan at Swindon and Sunderland.

Bazunu was playing men's football at 16 with Rovers to a high enough level that one of biggest clubs in thr world signed him. At age of 18 when most keepers are still playing underage football City sent him out to get more 1st team experience and by all accounts he's doing very well in a sh1t team. I would be willing to bet that next season he'll be on loan in Championship.

I'm not saying it's the exact same as Given, my point is that Given at 19 wasn't as far ahead of him as you seem to suggest. If everyone was fit I wouldn't be calling for him to be starting, my point is more that if Kelleher is not fit he should be next in line and I wouldn't be overly concerned to see him start.

I think we could be lucky enough to have an excellent keeper competition for years to come

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Still can't agree; they're the same age and that's about it.

It's a big performance gap turning in clean sheet after clean sheet en route to promotion from the second tier to shipping two goals a game en route to relegation at the foot of the third.

He good have a good future ahead of him, sure, but playing him against Serbia is in no way comparable to putting Given in for a friendly Russia, which I think was effectively the original comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Still can't agree; they're the same age and that's about it.

It's a big performance gap turning in clean sheet after clean sheet en route to promotion from the second tier to shipping two goals a game en route to relegation at the foot of the third.

He good have a good future ahead of him, sure, but playing him against Serbia is in no way comparable to putting Given in for a friendly Russia, which I think was effectively the original comparison.
    The comparison was a bit of a throw away comment tbh, and as I said wouldn't be shouting to have him start in usual circumstances. My point is that I wouldn't be hugely concerned if he had to start due to injuries

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Fairy nuff. I would be quite worried if he had to start tbh; I still think he's not ready. I'd take Kelleher way ahead of him, and Westwood ahead of both. But sure lookit, let's see what happens I guess!

10. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Westwood to start in Serbia if fit

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Westwood to start in Serbia if fit
    Yeah, No Brainer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Fairy nuff. I would be quite worried if he had to start tbh; I still think he's not ready. I'd take Kelleher way ahead of him, and Westwood ahead of both. But sure lookit, let's see what happens I guess!
    Westwood is an average journeyman who's never really shown much interest in being in squads. I'd much rather start Kelleher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    that

That Mcgrath fellow deserves a call up best individual footballer in Scotland according to stats. Scully also deserves. Would get Sean McDermott in the squad to start vs Qatar. McGeady return will lift the team spirit after those dull apathic display
    I'll need to see the stats that show McGrath of the best individual footballer in Scotland in the next 24 hours
    Requested information not provided. Infraction applied.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Westwood is an average journeyman who's never really shown much interest in being in squads. I'd much rather start Kelleher
    He has done more in football than all the other contenders bar Randolph combined. Ok, it looks like he did not always enjoy playing second fiddle to Shay Given when Given was injured or out of form = = Maybe he was right from his point of view !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Agreed. 500 games, mostly at a higher level than Bazunu has ever managed for starters. 21 caps too, and I think he was harshly treated a few times down the years as well, though sub keeper is always a tough one at international level. Regular first-team starter, injuries permitting. There's a tendency on here to overstate the current ability (as opposed to the potential) of our young players, and I think this is another case. I wouldn't have Westwood as far ahead of Kelleher as I would Kelleher ahead of Bazunu, but I think I'd start him.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Westwood should be further ahead of Kelleher (than Kelleher ahead of Bazunu) by that logic. And I'd agree.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Westwood seems the logical choice as a stopgap, maybe till the end of next season when Kelleher, Bazunu and Travers might be getting games at Championship level or equivalent. But given how his injury-prone nature and sometimes less than fulfilling experiences with the team (21 caps is a poor return for a player of his ability and it's easy suggest he was sometimes unfairly overlooked) would he have any interest in turning up to win another six or seven essentially meaningless caps? I'm inclined to throw caution to the wind and say go with Kelleher - young keepers need games, he's played at the highest level this season, albeit not much, and caps now would be an investment for his development. Might also put him in the window for a loan or an offer Liverpool couldn't refuse.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Westwood should be further ahead of Kelleher (than Kelleher ahead of Bazunu) by that logic. And I'd agree.
    I'm happy to give Kelleher some credit for being the current Liverpool reserve and for having played in the CL group stages. I think he'd do ok if he played, though it'd still be a risk as he has relatively little experience still. Bazunu is some way off that yet. He may be on the same potential chart, but he's a couple of years behind and right now, that's too much for my liking.

Also, the question posed by a couple of posters as to whether he'd accept a call-up is quite valid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He's one or two games off that yet, not quite the few hundred Kelleher is off Westwood.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    It's not just about counting the number of games though. I mean, I'm also one or two games off Kelleher's CL total but I'm not suggesting I be called up. It's what it says about each player that Kelleher is trusted with a CL game while Bazunu is sent out to Rochdale. They're at different stages in their development.

Westwood, meanwhile, has lots of experience at a level that's about as low as I'd ideally like to see a capped player. But Forde did a job from that division in fairness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    That's fine, but how you can think Kelleher is closer to Westwood than Bazunu is to Kelleher is bizarre to me. Come on like.

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast