Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Albums

Stopped reading the music press some years ago due to the fact that it seemed to be full of hacks that wrote poor articles about themselves so I'm behind the times.
    But most of the people who use the music forums on here seem to have good taste so I was just wondering if everyone would like to start typing their own opinions on any albums they have bought or recently come across, or even ones that they just feel that people should know about. Also not a bad idea to compare newer groups with older ones just to give people an idea of what the band sound like.
    Just hit the reply button and work away.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    last album i bought was antics by interpol. they sound alot like joy division in some aspects.

also, while i doubt it'll be new to you, unown pleasures by joy division is a recent conquest, fooking amazing!
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    -Bloc Party: Silent Alarm (I have been told, not really old enough to know myself) are like the Cure

-Coldplay: X&Y out next Monday (surely everyone's heard them at some point?)

-Kaiser Chiefs:Employment (I can't do this old band comparison )

-Arcade Fire (superb band, really different sound)

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jofyisgod
    -Bloc Party: Silent Alarm (I have been told, not really old enough to know myself) are like the Cure

-Coldplay: X&Y out next Monday (surely everyone's heard them at some point?)

-Kaiser Chiefs:Employment (I can't do this old band comparison )

-Arcade Fire (superb band, really different sound)
    Bloc Party is very similar to the Cure. I have the special edition with the live dvd. their live set is very disappointing. stick to the straight forward album.

Arcade Fire "Funeral" is a wonderful album.

The most recent Doves album is disappointing. Tried Elbow? Elbow make some really good music, even though it's appeal isn't immediate.

BTW, if I may, for music rateyourmusic is the site to use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I don't know if many people on here have heard of them but Parliament-Funkadelic are a great band. They are a mixture of soul and rock.

Most of their stuff's about thirty years old by now though.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    I don't know if many people on here have heard of them but Parliament-Funkadelic are a great band. They are a mixture of soul and rock.

what a thing they were, like an octopus. maggot brain by funkadelic is unbelievable -hard hard rock funk. but yes soul too. unfortunately i think both them bands/collectives have huge catalogs and bootlegs and dodgy compilations so it might be as easy to go wrong as go right with them. everyone's been chatting up this arcade fire album but it's yet to drop its knickers for me. guess i'd rather buy the source if the new stuff sounds too close to the original, as someone mentioned might be the case with interpol vs. j division above. but we're on a football forum and big guitars, anthemic choruses is probably the mean taste.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Couple more to add:

-John Legend :Get Lifted-so called 'saviour of soul', very good mix of soul and r'n'b

-HAL: Dublin 3 piece, similar to Beach Boys sound

-The Bravery: New-wave esque sound, quite good, similar to The Killers (Hot Fuss)

-Weezer: Make Believe (Geek rock continues, solid effort)

Slightly old, but Kasabian's album is class, hard to describe, but great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Conor your meant to say if you thought the album was any good or not.

A while back bought 'No Roots' by Faithless on the back of the single 'Mass Destruction' Only just listened to it all the way through and am afraid its one for the Record and Tape Exchange. A bit too much boy band vocals over patchy dance music on it for my liking, don't mind a bit of dance from time to time but not this one.

I know the old dance heads will shoot me down here but...
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Ian Browns "Music for the Spheres" is excellent, best of his first 3 albums - haven't got the latest though, anyone heard it? BTW, a mate went to see Ian Brown recently - supposed to be excellent as hes doing Stone Roses tunes now as well

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    here's a few c.d.'s i have grown to love.

hot hot heat - make up the breakdown. canadian band that sound a bit like the strokes with the singer sounding a bit like robert smith from the cure.****stars

deus - the ideal crash. belgium band, hard to say who these sound like but i'd highly recommend this one.*****stars

the dears - no more cities. another canadian band sound a bit like blur or the smiths.****stars

interpol - antics. n.y. band with a strong joy division sound.***stars

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Footstar..If you like dEUS check out the first album,Worse Case Sceanario,it's 10 times better than the Ideal Crash,you'll love it.
    MOT

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    libertines either of there 2 - absolute class like the sex pistols (lighter)only they can play there instruments , sing , write really good lyrics ( lots of oscar wilde references)

babyshambles out soon similar to libertines

bloc party is good

Brighteyes - lifted - amazing album if you like dylan you ll like this .

hal are very good

mylo -class

damian dempsey -

thats about the best around at the moment

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    Footstar..If you like dEUS check out the first album,Worse Case Sceanario,it's 10 times better than the Ideal Crash,you'll love it.
    thanks for that info but i have all the albums except my sister the clock.excellant band probable my favorite. tom barman the vocalist has a live album out that is very good, hard to get do, i ordered it on line from hmv. the good news do is they(deus) have a new album out near september.
    Last edited by footstar; 03/06/2005 at 4:05 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    In A Bar, Under The Sea is the only deus album i have. I keep meaning to get more but never seem to get round to it. I have a feeling the one i have is their 'Morning Glory/Nevermind/etc' but i still think it's a great album. I especially like Roses, Little Arithmetics and Disappointed In The Sun.

Aside: did you ever notice how memory of a festival has elements that sound really like Whipping Boy's 'Blinded'?
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magoo
    In A Bar, Under The Sea is the only deus album i have. I keep meaning to get more but never seem to get round to it. I have a feeling the one i have is their 'Morning Glory/Nevermind/etc' but i still think it's a great album. I especially like Roses, Little Arithmetics and Disappointed In The Sun.

Aside: did you ever notice how memory of a festival has elements that sound really like Whipping Boy's 'Blinded'?
    never noticed this must check this out when i get home from work. you should definitly purchase the other albums no cd collection is complete for anybody that likes this type of music. whipping boy now that you mention it are another great band.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Arcade Fire!!! Excellent album. If you're going to U2 this summer, there's a lot of the album layed over the PA during the gaps between support acts. There is in the North American tours anyway.

Other albums I've bought recently - Stereophonics new album - very good if you liked their original rock sound (ie. not the radio friendly stuff). I also got the new Oasis album yesterday but haven't listened to it. Not expecting much from it really, but going to see them in a few weeks so wanna see what the new stuff's like.
    The glass isn't half full or half empty it's just too damn big!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    Hasn't lost any of its ridiculous crazyness though. They're coming to Dublin. Last time they played for 7 hours, YES, 7 hours.. crazy ba.stards.
    "I always likened him to a Rolls Royce. You just used him once a week & he'd be flawless"
    Townsend on McGrath

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colie
    Hasn't lost any of its ridiculous crazyness though. They're coming to Dublin. Last time they played for 7 hours, YES, 7 hours.. crazy ba.stards.
    i think they got into crack or some other stuff coz i saw 'em once too and they were on for about half that time which was still a hefty gig by today's standards! it was like one big, f-off guitar solo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colie
    They just got weirder with every album.........you ever hear Gloryhallastoopid?

You sure that's not the P-Funk All Stars or something like that?
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    it was definitely the p-funk all-stars. my mistake in thinking they were too interchangeable! a lot more rock, a lot less funk if the memory serves. yea this was like 1997 timeframe!

other albums on the go:

dalek/faust - 'derbe respekt, alder' - n. jersey rap meets godfathers of experimental, tape splicing, germany-based motoriknoisemusic, otherwise known as krautrock (ugh)

avarus - 'ruskeatimantti' - fringe finnish folk, or something. sounds like lots of drugs in a circle in the woods

boredoms - 'seadrum/house of the sun' - japanese masters of the tribal rhythm explosion (with drone)

bring the noise!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast