Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 FIFA World Cup

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I note that the draw is apparently meant to be on April 1st, does anyone have an idea of how that will work with the final qualifiers from the Intercontinentals in June? There's potential for quite a difference in seeding really. Just taking things as they stand now, your IC playoffs would hypothetically be (rankings in brackets):

Australia (37) vs Uruguay (16)
    Panama (63) vs New Zealand (111)

There's a big difference between some of those numbers, will IC qualifiers just be bottom seeded automatically? I suppose it only really matters for someone like Uruguay, who would be in with a small shout of being a second seed in normal circumstances, or if not that they would be third, the rest would be 4th seeds anyway. The highest ranked side who could still end up in this route is 12th placed Mexico.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 08/03/2022 at 3:43 PM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    They're going to have a similar problem with the UEFA play-offs - looks like they may try Ukraine v Wales in June (which will hit our Nations League games), so at the moment you have one place being Scotland/Ukraine/Wales/Austria (40/27/20/30). (I'm assuming Russia won't be reinstated despite their CAS appeal)

Smaller gaps between the rankings though in fairness, so yeah, it's not quite the same as Uruguay/New Zealand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The OFC qualifiers start tomorrow after a really lengthy delay in their whole process, and three withdrawals (Samoa and American Samoa because of COVID, Tonga because of the eruption). All being played in what I assume are going to be empty stadiums in Qatar. All games streamed for free at reasonable kick-off times if anyone is interested in a very different kind of international football: https://www.oceaniafootball.com/how-...ia-qualifiers/

It's a fascinating world that I've followed since Next Goal Wins. Just for the dichotomy of tiny footballing nations in a vast geographical area, who usually play in pitches that wouldn't be out of place in LSL in front of just hundreds, if that. But still countries, some of whom go years without senior football. I'd love to see an Intercontinental play-off between a side like Panama against the Solomon Islands, just for the sheer uniqueness of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I just want to second that endorsement of Next Goal Wins. It's an enjoyable documentary following the fortunes of one such island nation. One unusual feature is that one of the team was quite effeminate and identified as third gender which is traditionally recognised in that culture; however, it's not the focus of the film.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I note that the draw is apparently meant to be on April 1st, does anyone have an idea of how that will work with the final qualifiers from the Intercontinentals in June? There's potential for quite a difference in seeding really. Just taking things as they stand now, your IC playoffs would hypothetically be (rankings in brackets):

Australia (37) vs Uruguay (16)
    Panama (63) vs New Zealand (111)

There's a big difference between some of those numbers, will IC qualifiers just be bottom seeded automatically? I suppose it only really matters for someone like Uruguay, who would be in with a small shout of being a second seed in normal circumstances, or if not that they would be third, the rest would be 4th seeds anyway. The highest ranked side who could still end up in this route is 12th placed Mexico.
    The answer is in, and all three teams that end up qualifying in June will be drawn in a week as fourth seeds: https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...id-19-pandemic

As stated before, there's a chance of fairly high ranking sides like Uruguay and Mexico getting messed about because of this. Worse perhaps, teams like Wales who could have expected to be third seeds will be fourth seeds if they qualify for reasons completely out of their control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Italy have failed to qualify for the World Cup again. Quite the turnaround in nine months. Should Portugal feel relieved, given North Macedonia held out from over 30+ attempts on goal tonight?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    That's amazing.

North Macedonia record the probably unique feat of winning away to Germany and Italy in the same qualifying campaign.

Meanwhile Italy have won just one finals match since winning the World Cup in 2006 (the Zidane headbutt match). And that was against England in 2014

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Italy have failed to qualify for the World Cup again. Quite the turnaround in nine months. Should Portugal feel relieved, given North Macedonia held out from over 30+ attempts on goal tonight?
    FIFA will be horrified if North Macedonia knock out Portugal as well ( probably unlikely )

I am surprised that these games are not played over two legs to help the “ more powerful football countries " ( with big populations for better financial opportunities )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Canada made it last night, topping CONCACAF qualification. They look like a very impressive team relative to the region, I watched the second half of their game against Costa Rica the other day where they bossed the game despite having a man sent off for a stupid bit of play acting from the opposition and a very hostile crowd. They lost 1-0, but looked very good in defeat. I wouldn't say they'll be turning up just to be there in November.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    this is the ball being used at the tournament
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Mali, North Macedonia and the Solomon Islands were all knocked out in the last 24 hours.

Means for the first time ever that no debutant country will reach the finals through qualifying. (Qatar are the only debutants, but they're hosts of course)

Finland, Venezuela and North Macedonia are the only countries in the top 50 (per Eloratings.net) never to make a World Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Seedings are in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_F...w_and_schedule

Your potential group of death on paper is Brazil (who just went top of the rankings for the first time in 12 years), Mexico, Senegal and Wales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    The draw is underway now.

Spain/Germany in group E

Belgium/Croatia in F

France/Denmark in D is tasty too.

England will be delighted with USA by comparison...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    So it's -

Qatar
    Ecuador
    Senegal
    Holland

England
    Iran
    USA
    Wales/Scotland/Ukraine

Argentina
    Saudi Arabia
    Mexico
    Poland

France
    Peru/Australia/UAE
    Denmark (the 2018 group was France/Denmark/Peru/Australia)
    Tunisia

Spain
    Costa Rica/New Zealand
    Germany
    Japan

Belgium
    Canada
    Morocco
    Croatia

Brazil
    Serbia
    Switzerland (they were all in the same group in 2018 as well)
    Cameroon

Portugal
    Ghana
    Uruguay
    South Korea
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 01/04/2022 at 6:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    England have gotten a nice easy one on the face of it. USA v Iran will hopefully lead to a bit of a reshowing of the classic encounter from 1998; one of my favourite World Cup games.

But Germany v Spain jumps out straight away. Costa Rica (if they get through) aren't entirely pushovers and Germany can be upset (like 2018)

And Belgium v Croatia is two semi-finallists from last time - but Croatia aren't the team they were. Could Canada do a job on them? They seem to have come on in leaps and bounds.

France v Denmark is another big tie for the group stages.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So it's -

Qatar
    Ecuador
    Senegal
    Holland

England
    Iran
    USA
    Wales/Scotland/Ukraine

Argentina
    Saudi Arabia
    Mexico
    Poland

France
    Peru/Australia/UAE
    Denmark (the 2018 group was France/Denmark/Peru/Australia)
    Tunisia

Spain
    Costa Rica/New Zealand
    Germany
    Japan

Belgium
    Canada
    Morocco
    Croatia

Brazil
    Serbia
    Switzerland (they were all in the same group in 2018 as well)
    Cameroon

Portugal
    Ghana
    Uruguay
    South Korea

We should win it in memoir of Maradona. Easy group for ourselves, I hope you boys in green cheer for us, tomorrow 40 years of the war in Malvinas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The last few weeks of World Cup qualifying starts tonight, with Scotland hosting Ukraine. Will be fascinating to see how that one works out, it's impossible to know how well Ukraine will be able to focus on their business. Channelling the kind of emotions they must have been going through over the last few months into a good sporting performance is no easy task. And then they might have to go and do it all again in Cardiff. Maybe because of that I'd still favour Wales.

Given how poor Australia have been recently you'd have to imagine the UAE has a shot, especially in a once-off, but I wouldn't say either team would be much trouble for Peru.

Looking forward to Costa Rica and New Zealand. The single game format and neutral location really gives the OFC side a better chance, and Costa Rica were really poor in the last game I saw them in, when they only just about beat 10-man Canada.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I was giving the story a wide berth because from a cursory reading it seemed like a storm in a teacup and Ecuadorian statements on the matter didn't sound like they were worried, but a few news outlets this morning are reporting that Ecuador are going to get thrown out of the World Cup at a hearing tomorrow for playing an ineligible player, Byron Castillo, in a number of matches. It's hard to know how concrete it is, going down the rabbit hole brings you to a Mexican news channel that might have jumped the gun in terms of claiming access to a "leaked" FIFA conclusion.

If it is true nominally all the games where Ecuador played Castillo would be awarded as 3-0 losses. From my reading, that would put Chile, who made the complaint, up to 4th in the CONMEBOL standings and give them automatic qualification (Peru, 5th and playing Australia on Monday in a play-off, wouldn't be effected). There have also been claims that FIFA could turn around and award the place to the highest ranked non-qualifying team - Italy - but I suspect that's just outrage-bait. Presumably Ecuador would appeal a negative ruling all the way to CAS too. Their own court system ruled Castillo an Ecuadorian by birth.

Edit: FIFA rejects Chile's complaint, so Ecuador are headed to the World Cup: https://www.fifa.com/legal/media-rel...astillo-segura

Chile have the right to appeal of course, but I suspect it's pointless.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 10/06/2022 at 3:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    So the tournament starts this month. Bit of a quiet build-up I think (on the pitch at least), presumably not helped by it being mid-season. And obviously it's overshadowed by off-field issues - as previous World Cups have been too. (Thinking the local protests in 2014 that the government would spend billions on the World Cup when local services were in dire straits). John McManus - who wrote a good book on Turkish football a couple of years back - has a new book out on Qatar in general which I'll be getting a copy of in due course I think. The Ugly Game is another good read on the bidding process and how the Sunday Times uncovered what was going on.

Ukraine have called for Iran to be kicked out, but I can't see that happening - where do you stop if you do that? Do you expel Saudi Arabia for air strikes in Yemen for example? Or the US and England for supporting those strikes?

On the pitch, Ecuador are still in (see previous post) and will open the tournament against hosts Qatar. It's a low key opener but it could actually be quite interesting because of that. I expect Qatar to be about as weak a team as the World Cup has ever seen given how they played against us. (I don't actually begrudge them being hosts despite their football ability, though there's obviously plenty of other reasons why they shouldn't be hosting). That one is at 4pm our time on Sunday 20th, and when we get into the four-game-a-day bit, games are 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm. So with working from home now, you can imagine there'll be drop-offs in productivity!

Hard to look beyond the usual suspects really. England's Nations League form will be a concern and if they don't get to the quarters, Southgate could well be sacked - he doesn't play nice football and that's much easier to turn against when results go bad. Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski probably at their last finals tournament but think they're past the stage where they can carry the entire team. Kante is a big loss for France (Pogba arguably less so) Belgium's golden generation has maybe peaked? Spain might be a good bet for the title.

Final squads all to be submitted by the end of the week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Brazil? They've been quite good for the last few years, albeit without having played much European opposition. Southgate's gone unless he actually wins the thing I think, there are more than enough knives at the ready. For teams like Germany and Spain it feels like one tournament too early, for France and Belgium one tournament too late. Argentina are probably as good as they have been since 2014, but you suspect they won't match up well to non-South American opposition. The Dutch might surprise people, but not all the way to a win. There's certainly scope for a surprise run: maybe Portugal, they seem to have a decent team ethic? Ecuador were great during the first half of qualifying. Senegal look a good package, but not sure how they rate outside of CAF. I suppose if going on recent form you have to consider Denmark.

Qatar I don't know what to make of. Part of me still thinks they could so far better than some are expecting, just because of hosts luck and the sheer amount of prep they've had, but then again anytime I've actually sat down and watched them they've looked terrible,

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast