Thread: Jamie McGrath (M St Mirren b.1996)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

Jamie McGrath (M St Mirren b.1996)

Seems to be doing very well at St. Mirren lately with 5 goals in 4 games from midfield. Instrumental in their win against Rangers last night, scoring 2 and crossing in for the third. Also made a clearance off the line.

Conor McCarthy scored the winner and Dylan Connolly won the penalty for the first and made the run and pass for the second goal.

All 3 are probably unlikely to be good enough to make it internationally, but at the same time, it wouldn’t surprise me if one of them did.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    787 Posts
    Joe Shaughnessy was captain and Jake Doyle Hayes midfield too.

As far as I have read, Doyle Hayes and McGrath have been their best players this season. I would say they have the most potential of the lot. Doyle Hayes most certainly can continue his upward trajectory from what I have seen. I haven't see enough of McCarthy to know his ceiling and his former Cork City centre back partner Sean McLoughlin hasn't quite kicked on like it was expected. Plenty time for them as young centre halves though.

Jim Goodwin manager there too. They were on a bad run earlier this season but haven't lost a game now since October- winning 6 and drawing 2 of their last 8.

Hopefully this can continue to be a good news story.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if two or three of the St Mirren lads went on to win senior caps actually. While domestic Scottish football takes a lot of deserved stick, the Scottish Premier is actually not a bad place to be as a young player - as long as you are playing first team football week after week, and these lads all are, unlike the Irish lads at Celtic. Playing against the two Glasgow teams will be great experience and will bring them on as players, while the rest of the time they are playing a decent mix of league 1 and 2 standard teams like Hibs, Motherwell, Aberdeen and so on.

A lot of the better St Mirren players go on to play for Hibs and move on from there to better things if they're good enough - this was John McGinn's route to Aston Villa - so there's a clear pathway in the game for these lads if they're good enough. It's been very encouraging from them so far.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Joe Shaughnessy was captain and Jake Doyle Hayes midfield too.

As far as I have read, Doyle Hayes and McGrath have been their best players this season. I would say they have the most potential of the lot. Doyle Hayes most certainly can continue his upward trajectory from what I have seen. I haven't see enough of McCarthy to know his ceiling and his former Cork City centre back partner Sean McLoughlin hasn't quite kicked on like it was expected. Plenty time for them as young centre halves though.

Jim Goodwin manager there too. They were on a bad run earlier this season but haven't lost a game now since October- winning 6 and drawing 2 of their last 8.

Hopefully this can continue to be a good news story.
    My take on them is:

1) Shaugnessy - too old, he's 28 or so i think, can't see it happening. His younger brother still has a chance.
    2) Connolly - never saw him play for Dundalk. Saw him play for Wimbledon against West Ham in the cup and he was man of the match and was truly excellent. He's probably ultimately too raw to make it for us (think Alan O'Brien in the Staunton era) but he's got pace to burn, which is an attribute that translates at every level
    3) McGrath - nice silky player, could see him playing in the championship sooner rather than later, bit inconsistent though.
    4) Doyle-Hayes - have only seen highlights. very highly thought of though. nice little technical player
    5) McCarthy - really rate him very highly. Has it all. So many centre halves though - difficult position to breakthrough.

But with all of them, there are so many other players who look more likely to make the grade in their respective positions...

Some names in that St Mirren squad. Obika, Flynn and Alnwick were major prospects 10-15 years ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,979 Posts
    Connolly is miles away from being good enough to play international. He has a wicked burst of speed, and that's about it. Had an awful habit of diving while playing for Bray and Dundalk too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Connolly is miles away from being good enough to play international. He has a wicked burst of speed, and that's about it. Had an awful habit of diving while playing for Bray and Dundalk too.
    Would Alan O’Brien and Daniel Kelly be decent comparisons?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Would Alan O’Brien and Daniel Kelly be decent comparisons?
    For me, Daniel Kelly is a better player. I was surprised Dundalk went for Connolly from Bray, never mind him getting a move to Wimbledon. I'd have said he was no more than an average LOI Premier Division winger.

I'm probably being a bit harsh on him, if truth be told, but never been impressed by him.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,298 Posts
    Danny Grant is as quick as both of them and more talented. Chiedozie Ogbene likewise and, I'd argue, Trevor Clarke too although we'll see if he ever gets his pace back after the multiple injuries.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    787 Posts
    McGrath scored the only goal of the game for Mirren in a 1-1 draw at the weekend from a penalty. He's their top scorer in all competitions on 7.

They have signed Eamonn Brophy which I would imagine is a coup for them as he has a Scottish cap and has had some decent goalscoring form.

Doyle Hayes is probably our standout there as the fans seem to think: https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/fo...ge/4/#comments

Goodwin is aware he's facing a battle to keep Jake: https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2021/j...ch-immediately

And Conor McCarthy speaks about his COVID infection and a few other bits and bobs: https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40206401.html

Overall, it looks like Doyle Hayes is still the prospect there but maybe McGrath can sustain his progress too. McGrath was signed by Kenny at Dundalk so could make an extended squad or a COVID depleted squad if we have any of either in the near future.