Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamie McGrath M Aberdeen b.1996

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Mad to think that Ronan could potentially come into the Senior squad now as a result, albeit, a different kettle of bluefin tuna as a player to McGrath.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Good news is that he only misses the next two games and could be back for St Mirren on November 6th and just in time for the international window.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    A move to Aberdeen seems to be in the offing. Overly-exciting? Perhaps not so much. Progressive? Certainly. And welcome too. Confessedly, I do like him as a player.

And it's undoubtedly to Kenny's credit that he's picked an unobvious, 'unfashionable' player who's then gone on to to play well for us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Jamie McGrath's valuation revealed as St Mirren admit it is 'unlikely' he will stay at club next season - Pundit Arena

If the asking price is just 350k... why wouldn't there be a a rack of clubs interested

Id buy him... I could see him at Watford or even Southampton

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    His stats aren't as good as last year - 3 goals in 21 games compared to 17 in 46 last year.

There's more to football than goals of course, but is there any concern he's fallen back a bit from last year?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    His stats aren't as good as last year - 3 goals in 21 games compared to 17 in 46 last year.

There's more to football than goals of course, but is there any concern he's fallen back a bit from last year?
    ]#

TBH I'm just going on what he has done for us and I thought he has never looked out of place in our team
    He held his own very well v Portugal

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Overall St Mirren are very poor this season and fans are often critical of Goodwin's negative tactics this season.

If teams are looking for someone that's confident from the spot then McGrath is your player. 10 of his 17 goals last season were from the spot, and this season 2 of his 3 goals are from the spot. He's only missed 1 of his 13 penalties so far while at St Mirren.

9. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Fair point on penalties, though as a club they're averaging only a shade under a goal a game both seasons (18 in 20 v 37 in 38 in the league), so not a huge amount seems to have changed. I don't see any stats on assists and maybe they're up to balance things out? Fewer goals from penalties should give more scope for assists for an attacking mid.

He's done alright for us for sure, but I suppose if as Diggs says there's not a rake of clubs interested at 350k, then no harm digging around for possible reasons.

A move to Aberdeen would feel like a step down compared to the Middlesbrough deal mooted last month. But I guess let's see what happens.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts

Birmingham and Wigan are the two teams in England showing interest in him. Wigan had a 300k bid turned down in the summer for him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    He is too good for the SPL. I've a funny feeling ( which I accept will be laughed at) that he might get a premier league move.
    He is 25, cheap, an international and zero trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    level in PL is far too high for him. hes been excellent in scotland since moving but the leap from a bottom 6 spl side to a bottom 6 PL side is huge. better off establishing himself in the championship as a first team regular at his age, coming into his peak years now.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    There's more chance of him playing League One next season than the Premier League.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Still not sure on McGrath to be honest. He hasn't done anything wrong for Ireland but he also hasn't really done....anything much at all. Positionally sound and shows a glimpse or two of potential but I think people are looking at his SPL goals from last season and seeing something that isn't quite there yet. I like attacking players who want to get on the ball and he seems like the type that does the standard runs and can play it simple rather than someone who has the potential to open a team up with a pass or by running at them. 7 from play last year is a good return in the SPL but it turns into a magnificent haul when you add in his penalties. He came in with 0 expectations on him and has sort of flown under the radar a bit because of that maybe.

Hope he kicks on but I would think League 1 or Championship would be a more likely destination than the EPL. Celtic or Rangers surely would be after him if he was really lighting up the SPL week in week out?

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    There's more chance of him playing League One next season than the Premier League.
    I'm inclined to agree. Daryl Horgan wasn't kept at Preston NE, did fairly well at Hibs and initially at Wycombe, but is now a squad member for the League One leaders rather than a regular starter. Sheffield Wed or Ipswich might be a more realistic bet for McGrath.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. Daryl Horgan wasn't kept at Preston NE, did fairly well at Hibs and initially at Wycombe, but is now a squad member for the League One leaders rather than a regular starter. Sheffield Wed or Ipswich might be a more realistic bet for McGrath.
    Well, if you're using Horgan to support your agreement then what of the fact that McGrath has looked much better at international level than Horgan. He has also done far better at SPL level than Horgan - I think "fairly well" is a stretch in that regard for Horgan. Oh, and Horgan went directly from Dundalk to Championship as opposed to from Dundalk to the SPL and then, potentially, onto Championship like McGrath seems to be angling to do. Surely you should account for that in your comparison?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Its just a sneeky feeling. Club's with budgets issues and a need for extra squad members

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Well, if you're using Horgan to support your agreement then what of the fact that McGrath has looked much better at international level than Horgan. He has also done far better at SPL level than Horgan - I think "fairly well" is a stretch in that regard for Horgan. Oh, and Horgan went directly from Dundalk to Championship as opposed to from Dundalk to the SPL and then, potentially, onto Championship like McGrath seems to be angling to do. Surely you should account for that in your comparison?
    I think the jury is still out on McGrath as an international, though time is on his side. He is a more centre-field player than Horgan and this is reflected in their respective records in the Scottish Premiership. Horgan: 3,405 minutes played, 6 goals, 10 assists; McGrath: 4,330 mins, 9 goals (incl. 7 penalties), 3 assists.

The Dundalk to EFL Championship to Scottish Premiership route didn't work out so well for Andy Boyle either. If McGrath does make it to the EFL Championship, I hope he has more success there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    McGrath wasn't included in the St Mirren squad at Dundee Utd on Tuesday night. Official reason was because he "did not feel that his head was in the right place for the game" as a result of all the recent transfer speculation.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    McGrath wasn't included in the St Mirren squad at Dundee Utd on Tuesday night. Official reason was because he "did not feel that his head was in the right place for the game" as a result of all the recent transfer speculation.
    Probably both he and the Club not wanting to risk an injury that might scupper a move and money for the club.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...vised/?ref=rss

Goodwin suggests that McGrath's head wasn't in the right place to play, and that he's being badly advised.

He should have made the sensible and progressive move to Aberdeen in my view, who are a big club in a Scottish context, where he would have been a virtually guaranteed regular and could have learnt from playing beside and training with great pros like Scott Brown. Instead it looks like he's having his head turned by the big bucks offered down south, which is perhaps understandable.

Would he even break into a Championship side before the end of the season though? Even were he to join Wigan, who have a settled, winning side he might well struggle. Jordan Jones can't get into the team since joining from Rangers, for example.

He might end up staying at St Mirren after all this.

25. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast