Page 79 of 80 FirstFirst ... 296977787980 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 1596

Thread: LOI In Europe 2021

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    The 'little guy' started with just 2 of the eleven who started in their home defeat (on pens) to Dundalk a year ago. None of the other 9 were on the bench at the Bernabeu. Meanwhile, at Oriel Park v Bohs, De Town started with 6 of the eleven who had started in Moldova. (Rogers retired, Gartland injured, Gannon, Hoare and Shields departed).

The impressive thing about Sheriff T's performances is the building in a year - almost from scratch - of a team who can compete so well in the CL group stage.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I think Sheriff rebuild like that quite regularly. Possibly this year they got a bit lucky with a few better players than usual.

Still a hell of an achievement though, and the UEFA bigwigs are probably fuming, which is good, even if Sheriff do seem a very unlikeable club under the bonnet.

The entire Moldovan league is in line for a serious windfall out of it too from the Solidarity Payments (which I think increase as points are gained in the CL groups?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Not sure if this has been posted before but a good thread on Sheriff here ….

https://mobile.twitter.com/SlavaMala...39451069509639
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    What are the chances that Bill will use Sherriff as a justification of his ad hoc transfer policy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Pats 0-1 Red Star Belgrade , early goal from red star but Pats getting into the match now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    2-0 to Red Star at halftime. Goal right at the end of the 1st half for Red Star was cruel enough. Bad refereeing isn't the preserve of our league judging by this ref's performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    A typical Irish European performance we gave away sloppy goals and missed some excellent chances. I’m delighted for the lads the they have a goal to travel with. The lad that scored for them has a few first team appearances under his belt and looks decent. The ref lost control of the game at times and could have got someone broke up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Well fair play, pulled one back too.
    Many there D24?
    Do away goals count in this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    Well fair play, pulled one back too.
    Many there D24?
    Do away goals count in this?
    A good guesstimate would be 800. I’m not sure on away goals but since they are obsolete in uefa senior competitions I’d say their youth ones follow suit. Hopefully we can turn the tie around in the second leg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Interesting that that consolation means still only Cork - at home to Roma - have lost a game by more than one goal in this. That's in 11 games between Cork (the only club to win a tie), UCD (the only other club to win a match), Bohs (the only club to qualify twice) and Pat's

It's a decent record when you consider the sides we've been drawn against. UCD keeping Haaland scoreless probably the most impressive feat

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Interesting that that consolation means still only Cork - at home to Roma - have lost a game by more than one goal in this. That's in 11 games between Cork (the only club to win a tie), UCD (the only other club to win a match), Bohs (the only club to qualify twice) and Pat's

It's a decent record when you consider the sides we've been drawn against. UCD keeping Haaland scoreless probably the most impressive feat
    Wow! Impressive that, never knew UCD had played in it at all. I thought Cork were the first LOI side to play in it beating HJK Helsinki then losing to Roma, after that I was only aware of Bohs losing to PAOK and Waterford were due to play Hammarby last year before the competition was cancelled due to covid. UCD presumably faced Molde then, who did Bohs play in their other tie?

On last night's game, really good performance from the young pats team who were getting kicked up and down the pitch by the massively tall and very physical Red Star team (the Icelandic ref would be right at home in the LOI it seems). Their alleged 17 year old number 11 up front has got to have 2 kids and a mortgage by the way! A goal in it going into the second leg is a decent result considering pats were without 3 of their best players in Darragh Burns and James Abankwah who were left out of the squad and Ben McCormack who only played the second half (and scored) all due to being needed for the first team game in Drogheda tomorrow night. A great problem to have for the 19s though that they’re producing so many important players for the first team. I thought Kian Corbally in centre midfield and Tommy Lonergan were excellent up front as well as the Curtis brothers Sam and Ben at centre back.
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 30/09/2021 at 8:16 AM.
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Yeah, Cork were the first side (2016). We played in 2017. Bohs also played Midtylland of Denmark; lost 2-1 in both games but I think it was two late goals in Dalymount that won it for the Danes in the end.

Haaland only actually played 30 minutes against us in the second leg in Molde, and then scored in the penalty shoot-out (finished 3-3 on aggregate), but he played nonetheless. LoI sides do compete very well in it though, and yet we clearly fall away from the respective clubs at senior level.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Any idea what kind of prize money is on offer for this? I can understand why SOD made the decision, but it's a pity those first team players had to miss out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    None afaik - just away expenses.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    I’d imagine had there been any reasonable prize money up for grabs in the Youth League he may have let them play but with the senior team in a good position to get a European place from the last 8 games of the season it has to take precedence given the money that goes with it
    Paaatrick's Agletic

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I fully appreciate that. The whole point of youth football is to prepare for senior football, so if they're good enough already, there's no point dropping back down. For the lads that haven't made the step up to the first team yet, the experience of a two-leg tie, going away to what will probably be a more hostile environment than they've played in before will be invaluable.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Pats beaten 2-0 in Belgrade in the second leg. It was always going to be a tough ask up against a side that have got results against Bayern/Liverpool and similar standard sides in the Uefa Youth League in recent years. Great experience for the lads though and 2-1 and 2-0 losses are far from a disgrace considering we’re apparently the lowest ranked league in the competition this year. Looking on LiveScore yesterday there was some absolute tonkings in the competition last night, like Midjtylland 10-1 Rosenberg (14-3 agg) and AZ Alkmaar 7-0 Qabala (11-0 agg).
    Paaatrick's Agletic

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Was always going to be a tough task for Pats. As you say, seems to have been a respectable enough showing from the lads. We also have three players in the first team squad who would otherwise have been in that squad ( I know Ben McCormack is injured anyway) so that’s something else to bear in mind. No doubt James Abankwah and Darragh Burns would have lifted the level of the team that extra bit.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Youve left hat very broad and open to personal interpretation so I told ye so If they dont pick up points ye can buy me 2!
    Looks like it's just the one pint I owe you Nesta. Flora are doing fine in their ECL group and have just beaten Partizan.

Page 79 of 80 FirstFirst ... 296977787980 LastLast