Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 1596

Thread: LOI In Europe 2021

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Estonian teams are ****. This is born out by their results over time, as measured by their league coefficient. Do you have a counter-argument, or is it just that this is inconvenient for your argument and therefore doesn't count? So far as I can see, your argument amounts to, "Football is random. There is no such thing as favourites. Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala, I can't hear you." It's getting tiresome.
    It's kind of like mypost has flown his spaceship south and become a Cork fan.

On the basis that sullane is still misrepresenting my posts (I said an Estonian side in the playoff round is one of the easiest ties you can get at that stage, which is absolutely matter-of-factly true - but now I'm being told I said it was an easy tie, which I didn't say...or the only basis for my analysis was that they were Estonian, which isn't true either - I was taking into account the fact their European results and their domestic form, where they were behind a side that a basketcase Dundalk side had knocked out just 2/3 weeks earlier), and seems to have no intention on actually debating points (such as my point that our sides doing well in Europe should feed into a better national team to support...quietly ignored of course), I'm happy to bow out with a slightly enlarged ignore list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Revisionism is great isn't it 😄

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Accepting ho-hum mediocritiy less so.

Another season over and done with. Some real high points with Bohs and in particular Dundalk. Even though PAOK could have won 8-0 in the away leg, so wasteful were they, Bohs were in it till the last kick, and in both legs played some lovely passing football at times. Their previous effort against Stjarnan at home was a joy to watch, and some lovely stuff on show. If I recall how they played against the Hungarians last year, they had improved nicely this year. When Dundalk believed against Vitesse, and pressed high, they were on top in the away game. Belief is massive. It surged through them and Vitesse were completely rattled. Vitesse should be sending them gift-baskets, or some offcast player, for waking them up just in time. Yes, they needed last minute drama to get past Levadia, but went about it well,playing to the last whistle and scoring a great team move winner in Estonia. Sligo looked like they didn't even try in their games, and there's little to say about them, disappointingly.

Rovers home performance against the Albanians gave me little hope that there was any attacking incision about them. Fair enough, they got the job done away, but the Teuta looked poor enough despite threatening at times in their own ground. Some people think Rovers were unlucky in some way against Flora, others think "ho-hum, c'est la vie, if another similar result happens next year, that's just our lot in life". Others like myself, think that the national standard bearers capitulating to a a team from 53rd ranked Estonia is beyond pitiful. Maybe we'll never get to the bottom of who is right.

Passing, fitness, and technique have all made big strides forward across all our clubs in recent years when playing in Europe. If only we could improve finishing and composure training, as well as reducing the "ahhhh, panic, what do i do" brainfarts (Naettestad,Mannus etc) in defence and goalkeepers that lead to giftwrapped merry christmas goals for our opponents, we'd be flying up the coefficient rankings.

IMHO though, while the possibility for clubs to make a giant-kill is there, as long as they believe, if any of our teams next year play like Rovers did against Flora, don't be surprised if there's a 6-1 agg defeat to someone like Connah's Quay Nomads on the cards.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 30/08/2021 at 6:08 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    I think your take is fair enough CorribSteve but I'm not sure you're casting the other side of the Rovers piece (which would include me I suppose) in the right light there. Who thinks Rovers were unlucky or that it's fine to lose a big European game? That wasn't the gist of my posts anyway.

We were ****e and if it happened every week it would be a problem. Coughed up 7/8 good chances and Flora buried 5 of them. Fair play to them.

It reminds me a bit of the "GK crisis" we had that was so often discussed and debated and covered in the media. Bradley was out of his depth at the time we were told. Had to go etc.....Then it turned out he had Mannus lined up and we went on to win the cup in 2019, walk the league with a GD of +37 after 18 games in 2020 while also breaking the league's 100 year old unbeaten record. He has another fix to make now with our central midfield if we want to push on in Europe. I know that sounds odd given we have about 14 midfielders but if you've watched us this season you know what I mean. I was dreading Europe after the first round of games. I thought Towell was the answer and that seemed to be the case when we went on to comfortably beat Pats, Dundalk and put 4 past Derry in the Brandywell after he slotted in but it's not quite right now so we will see what the mgmt team do.

Anyway, I think the rest of your post is fair. I suppose the other side is that we had 3 teams in Europe playing important games and getting through rounds even if it was a new, lower level comp. I'm not saying things are improving because I really don't want to get in a 14 page debate with PineappleStu but it was enjoyable enough....even if my main enjoyment came from seeing Bohs and Dundalk go out after getting their hopes up so much.....

Looking forward to next year.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 31/08/2021 at 2:30 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Pats 19s have drawn Crvena Zvezda (Red Star Belgrade) at home first in the UEFA Youth League
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It's kind of like mypost has flown his spaceship south and become a Cork fan.

On the basis that sullane is still misrepresenting my posts (I said an Estonian side in the playoff round is one of the easiest ties you can get at that stage, which is absolutely matter-of-factly true - but now I'm being told I said it was an easy tie, which I didn't say...or the only basis for my analysis was that they were Estonian, which isn't true either - I was taking into account the fact their European results and their domestic form, where they were behind a side that a basketcase Dundalk side had knocked out just 2/3 weeks earlier), and seems to have no intention on actually debating points (such as my point that our sides doing well in Europe should feed into a better national team to support...quietly ignored of course), I'm happy to bow out with a slightly enlarged ignore list.
    As the old adage goes - when you're explaining, you're losing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    You can almost feel the nerves and the hope from that article- buuttt even then, LoI clubs were undone in the hardest ways like the late Bayern Goal. Stopping the game when Rovers were on top due to home supporters...can you imagine Foot.ie today after something similar, the early concessions of goals in the away leg, fight back to to go ahead in the tie only to go out to what was an illegal goal where the ref and rub of the green went awol. Typical and all too familiar.

There are occasions when both the International team and the domestic league if they hadnt been cheated out of results, had some luck, how different things could be today. Maybe with a valued FT league for many years, contributing to RoI qualifications and there never being the dodgy Delaney legacy. We could have been more like a Croatia or Sweden,

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Sheriff, whom Dundalk dispatched last year on their European run have beaten Shaktar 2-0 in their Champions League debut tonight. What a difference a year makes...

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Sheriff, whom Dundalk dispatched last year on their European run have beaten Shaktar 2-0 in their Champions League debut tonight. What a difference a year makes...
    Interesting thread on them here: https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/sta...39451069509639

Absolutely mental stuff.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

14. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    They mustn't have been too happy to lose to the American owned Dundalk. Maybe it's all part of a new cold war.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I see that PAOK and Slovan Bratislava, who despite beating Rovers in first round, tumbled down into Conference group stage, are in the same group. Will be interesting to see how they match up.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Interestingly Slovan are in the same group as the Gibraltar side they beat in qualifying. Can't imagine that's happened too often before? The new format will mean it'll become a slightly more regular thing though

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Interesting thread on them here: https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/sta...39451069509639

Absolutely mental stuff.
    I've just spent the last hour going through that guys tweets!! Some interesting character! One of the days when you think the whole thing, the internet, was worth it
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I've just spent the last hour going through that guys tweets!! Some interesting character! One of the days when you think the whole thing, the internet, was worth it
    Brilliant thread, I could see Delaney fitting right in with Sheriffs "football family"
    Bender FC is now on the away trip bucket list!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    The tale of the "Prime Minister" and his "cabinet" was funny.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I'm thinking about setting up my own Republic, the working conditions look attractive.
    If i can get some Russian KGB types to give me a crash course in gun running and money laundering i'm sure i could have Rovers playing in an 80,000 all seater stadium in no time at all.
    When you come to think of the relevant skill sets around the Louth area its a bit surprising Oriel hasnt been sorted

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'm thinking about setting up my own Republic, the working conditions look attractive.
    If i can get some Russian KGB types to give me a crash course in gun running and money laundering i'm sure i could have Rovers playing in an 80,000 all seater stadium in no time at all.
    When you come to think of the relevant skill sets around the Louth area its a bit surprising Oriel hasnt been sorted
    No need for the KGB, a visit to South Armagh would sort ye out for sure!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    This thread reminds me of Dan Lamberts trip to Transnistria in a 1979 Honda

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Interestingly Slovan are in the same group as the Gibraltar side they beat in qualifying. Can't imagine that's happened too often before? The new format will mean it'll become a slightly more regular thing though
    lucky *******s, Slovan are. thats 6 easy points in the group.

Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast