Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1596

Thread: LOI In Europe 2021

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Says the lad who was giving out stink earlier 😁
    Not at all. The tone in my typing does not always reflect my actual intended tone. I promise to try and improve in this area. 👍

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Not at all. The tone in my typing does not always reflect my actual intended tone. I promise to try and improve in this area. 👍
    Ha ha come on outta that Sullane. You are some article! 😁

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Tbf the same sort of stuff was directed at Dundalk after Larnaca and Celje, from the usual quarters and when we did progress the achievement was downplayed as it was on penos/away goals against lower ranked leagues - i saw it as par for the course between football fans, wind ups,. I dont get how emotive this has become as such comments are kinda common on football fora. Isnt it a compliment to Rovers that people called them favourites, and if the side that were deemed favourites lose its hardly a surprise that 'embarrassing' comments follow a poor result. Was the recent RoI result v Luxembourg seen by fans and media as embarrassing or just football? The sporting media certainly made it clear what the general thinking was.

As for Oriel and Dalymount Parks et al, they are a tip of the iceberg if that sort of embaressment! League prizemoney, no TV revenue, the FAI, lack of appeal system, Galway DVDs, grown men behaving like schooligans, the sale of Milltown, boom and bust, won it in talla, golf balls, flares, some chants, asterix etc etc.

Calling someone angry is a tad ironic sullane when it was yourself that took exception to posts in the first place, calling people pathetic and the like. There's no shortage of being super sensitive in this thread the last few days one way or another!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    What's wrong with passing ? It's about keeping possession and waiting patiently for an opening/opportunity. What's the alternative - long balls up the pitch and the lottery of who gets to them first ?
    Absolutely nothing. When your defending a lead or killing time passing it about the back 3/4 is a very sensible approach or say when you are looking for a goal passing it around patiently trying to break the line or some intuitive, incisive passing, that's a great time, but when a player like joey obrien gets it under pressure and puts his keeper under more pressure thats not the time. There's this sense in Irish football that there is some evolution(perhaps revolution) going on in how we play the game, possession passing football brought through by domestic based coaches. The national team over the last year and what rovers produced over 2 those 2 legs was anything far removed from attractive, front foot positive football. Ironically those calling for a balance of play have seen kenny adapt over the last few games and its reaped rewards. Bradley looked completely out of his depth the last day, the young estonian was a coach who knew how to think on his feet and react, a good tactician, be interesting to see how they do in the group stages if they dont get anyone too strong, whatever the coaching level its steps ahead of what is being produced domestically in Ireland at the top(if those were the countries two top coaches going head to head).
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Rovers lost 2 rounds and won 1. It's fair to have high expectations of the league's champions, depending on the opponent.
    I have sympathy for them as well. These qualifying rounds obviously are knockout football and are fraught with danger. The bigger leagues are intent on automatic qualification narrowing down the available positions. Not much of a problem in the Conference League yet but UEFA being UEFA, the likes of Tottenham Hotspur will automatically qualify for the group stage in a few years. If the Conference League truly is for the lower ranked nations, the higher leagues should have no participants at all.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    but isnt that what footballs all about, the carrot, the incentive, the romanticism?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Calling someone angry is a tad ironic sullane when it was yourself that took exception to posts in the first place, calling people pathetic and the like.
    So using the word "pathetic" implies that I am angry? I'll use a smiley the next time I use the word to convey how I am feeling when using the word.

Tbf the same sort of stuff was directed at Dundalk after Larnaca and Celje, from the usual quarters and when we did progress the achievement was downplayed as it was on penos/away goals against lower ranked leagues - i saw it as par for the course between football fans, wind ups,.
    It may be par for the course but I find it childish and pathetic.

Edit: Oh wait... "Pathetic 😆😆😉😘".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Rovers lost 2 rounds and won 1. It's fair to have high expectations of the league's champions, depending on the opponent.
    I have sympathy for them as well. These qualifying rounds obviously are knockout football and are fraught with danger. The bigger leagues are intent on automatic qualification narrowing down the available positions. Not much of a problem in the Conference League yet but UEFA being UEFA, the likes of Tottenham Hotspur will automatically qualify for the group stage in a few years. If the Conference League truly is for the lower ranked nations, the higher leagues should have no participants at all.
    Nah can't agree with that.
    If you manage to get to group stages you want some glamour ties.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    So using the word "pathetic" implies that I am angry? I'll use a smiley the next time I use the word to convey how I am feeling when using the word.

It may be par for the course but I find it childish and pathetic.

Edit: Oh wait... "Pathetic ".
    That would make the vast majority of football fans childish and pathetic - whether thats good or bad is a different story. Dont take the word pathetic in isolation though, if angry isnt the exact word, you're bothered enough to still be making your point 3 pages on or whatever. Maybe you should heed some of your own advice to lighten up and chill. Battling Bohs and UCD fans on comments made about Shamrock Rovers as a Cork City fan why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    That would make the vast majority of football fans childish and pathetic - whether thats good or bad is a different story. Dont take the word pathetic in isolation though, if angry isnt the exact word, you're bothered enough to still be making your point 3 pages on or whatever. Maybe you should heed some of your own advice to lighten up and chill. Battling Bohs and UCD fans on comments made about Shamrock Rovers as a Cork City fan why?
    And you were bothered enough to stick your oar in. Why?

I'll give you a clue. It's a "discussion" forum.

Have some smilies in case you think I'm angry... 😆😆😅😅😀😀

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    You havent really been doing a whole lot of discussing though have you, Its no skin off my nose whether you are angry or not, many Cork fans are permanently angry so it would be normal enough and no need for the smilies, though obviously not you sullane. Grumpy is more fitting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    The attitude I see on here of "Oh well, we're jack sh"t useless and always will be, so let's just accept it. Forever, and ever, amen", is very disapointing. Let's revel in the bottom feeding cos nearly everyone will beat us anyway, and no 5-2 defeat is embarrassing, ever. But Galway United havent been in Europe for 30 years, so I'm invalidated, point-wise.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 28/08/2021 at 10:04 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Its no skin off my nose
    Yet you felt the need to engage with me and call me grumpy. Sure... 😄😄😄

Good one Nesta kid!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I'm easily amused!

Engaging and thinking you are grumpy doesnt mean I actually care, if you need me to care then I will care though. I am interested in how someone who is a LoI supporter is content with mediocrity and at face value at least, doesnt seemsto care about the standard of the league or its improvement. Youve lost a few smilies there sullen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Damage was done by Rovers in the away leg, you simply cannot concede 4 away and expect to qualify, it was too big an ask after that.

The disappointment is, Flora are well behind Levadia whom a (very) poor Dundalk side beat away and got past, plus this really was was as good a chance as you can get to get to the group stages. Granted last year Dundalk played a Faroes team in Aviva to make it, and all one legs before (but still 3 away games and one was Sheriff), the point is the expectation really was that Rovers were expected to win, they were beaten fair and square.

Final point, not sure Flora were that much better than Riga FC who Dundalk played in 2019 and who I think were actually better than us, but we squeezed by on pens, fine margins, but Rovers had strengthened massively in 2020 Towell is one example, they should have had enough to get past Flora.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    The concept of games in hand is really lost on dundalk fans it seems.
    Same as in 2019 when you were 11 points behind Rovers with 3 games in hand, and saw it as some miracle in overcoming Rovers thst year, in this particular context Flora are 12 points behind Levadia with 3 games in hand.
    Flora won the league last year and are the best team in Estonia, in the exact way Rovers are the best team in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Same as in 2019 when you were 11 points behind Rovers with 3 games in hand, and saw it as some miracle in overcoming Rovers thst year, in this particular context Flora are 12 points behind Levadia with 3 games in hand.
    Flora won the league last year and are the best team in Estonia
    , in the exact way Rovers are the best team in Ireland.
    abort - abort - DUNDALK FANS - we've been made!

Peter Collins on RTÉ on Thursday night straight out of the blocks mentioned it funny enough.So it's just Dundalk fans thinking that ehh??

Your weird about Dundalk fans,very foxing weird!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    You havent really been doing a whole lot of discussing though have you,
    This is it. First off wading in calling people "Bitter sh!ts" (but he's not angry, mind). Then arguing against a series of comments that nobody has actually made, the latest of which include -

Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc
    I've no issue with people picking out favourites in advance based on your "factors". My issue is with the word "embarrassing". You'd think the result was a slam dunk with that kind of talk.

No LOI European tie is a slam dunk. You are deluded if you think so.

You are now offering the nuance of "the manner of the goals" in your phrasing of "embarrassing". A nuance you didn't offer in your original post. Revisionism.
    But nobody ever called the tie a slam dunk. And the manner of the goals has been called out as a factor in the "embarrassing" definition since, well, since they were scored.

The defeat was embarrassing. Why it's such a problem for you to have that called out on a discussion board, I have no idea. Partly because, as Nesta says, you haven't been able to make any points in your defence; you just go around abusing others for engaging in discussion.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    The attitude I see on here of "Oh well, we're jack sh"t useless and always will be, so let's just accept it. Forever, and ever, amen", is very disapointing. Let's revel in the bottom feeding cos nearly everyone will beat us anyway, and no 5-2 defeat is embarrassing, ever. But Galway United havent been in Europe for 30 years, so I'm invalidated, point-wise.
    Oh, and all of this too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Flora won the league last year and are the best team in Estonia, in the exact way Rovers are the best team in Ireland.
    Id take points in hand every time, banking on games in hand is a risky business.

Page 75 of 80 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast