Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1596

Thread: LOI In Europe 2021

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Probably a bit down as Flora spread Rovers all over the place.They might have butter luck in the 2nd leg but they will need a new game pan or else they will be toast!
    That made me smile.
    Tonight's matchs in the league are completing the recovery.
    By tommorow I'll be grand.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    The fact is that were the favs to win with the home side a bigger price,that's a statement of fact in any mans book,doesn't mean the result will follow the betting but that's another days chat.

(Whether they should have been is yet another argument )
    By that logic I'm going to present all my opinions in future as statements of fact so.

"It's a fact that I think X will happen. So X happening is therefore a fact"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Betting odds aren't a statement of probability. They are designed to ensure as large a profit as possible for the bookie. And many gamblers aren't professionals, there is always an element of home bias. If most gamblers are Irish or have little exposure to Estonian football then the odds will lean more in Rovers direction than if two random European teams were involved.

4. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    The flip side is "favourite" in this context is a betting term, so who other than bookies would determine who the favourites are?

(Home bias is a thing for sure, though ger121 noted other sites having Rovers as favourites)

Didn't see sullane suggesting otherwise before the game - bit rich for them to be accusing others of hindsight now.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I know Rovers' game on Thursday is on RTE but I think the rights restrictions will disallow it from being shown in UK on RTE Player. Last week's game on Virgin Media Player was blocked in UK.

Is any stream available for overseas viewers? I assume the streams of previous games were only arranged in the absence of TV coverage. I'm a LOITV subscriber but I don't think it'll be on that.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 24/08/2021 at 2:30 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Is any stream available for overseas viewers?
    If all else fails just try skorlive. Most streaming sites can be a pain but it's the best one I know.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Thanks. Rovers' twitter says it will be on in UK via RTE Player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I still think Rovers are favourites to win on the night if not to win the tie after the 1st leg. In a lot of ways there was self inflicted damage done rather than being outclassed by a much better side. Lessons will have been learned so I really do think this tie is still well in the mix, also I dont think Tallinn can raise their game any more whereas Rovers have a much better performance in them. The old clichés fit well, an early goal, make them nervous and not know whether to stick or play on the front foot, Rovers cant afford to play with any fear. Hedging bets here - patience could be needed, from the crowd too, not going quiet or getting on the backs of players if the early goal doesnt happen, if one goes in at any time there will be a barnstorming finish and some atmosphere! Tallinn score and ye cant see Rovers having the point men to put in 3. Penos are not unlikely. One of these opinions has to be a hit allowing for some revisionist hindsight tomorrow night

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    They played with no fear the last day. No fear of picking up a man or holding the middle! These lads pressed them high and obviously saw they were poor under pressure on defence. How much their manager got to see of them and how they played on their weakness was impressive. Joey O'Brien should be much more composed for example given where he has played but the lack of pace throughout the backline gave flora oceans of space to expose. Bradley saying we did it against slovan and we know what to do no you didn't slovan scored a goal and won the tie. This requires a massive effort and some actual organisation. These lads will score and it's highly unlikely rovers will score 4, pens doesn't really look likely either
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Rovers may well win on the night, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
    Flora will sit back and pounce on the counter just like they did in Tallinn. They won't change their game plan unless the tie is level or they go behind.
    You can't win a tie in the 1st leg but you can certainly lose it. I hope I'm wrong, but my head tells me Rovers lost it in Tallinn.
    I'll still be cheering them on tomorrow night, like I do for every LOI team in Europe, but they need a serious improvement from last week.
    Worst thing about it is Flora aren't amazing. They're decent and experienced, but not at the same level as Slovan, PAOK or Vitesse imo. Rovers caused them trouble in the 1st leg, just a pity the midfield went AWOL at crucial moments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Undoubtedly it was disappointing that Bradley didnt learn from the 1st leg v Slovan, he didnt react v Tallinn, he played 3 at the back without 1 having the pace required, the main issue was in midfield imo, O'Brien should have had the experience to show more composure and again ye have to question how or why the manager didnt instill the belief to go on the front foot. He does now have something to work with on that basis in how they responded 2nd leg v Slovan and look for more of that. Yes Rovers went out of the CL but in the end it was a close run thing and its a tad unfair not to factor that in to things or just dismiss the result of that leg. Im not arguing the case for Rovers potentially going through in a supporting manner, but in that I think they are capable of going through and it being, imo, due to inexperience or the over cautious nature of the tactics/manager in a 1st leg that give a lot of work to do. They can certainly level the tie, they will be better defensively as it would be too hard to be better than last week, the away goal rule change makes penos quite possible, Mannus doesnt make too many errors as he did so parrying the ball back in to the mix rather than push it wide - all the errors added up to the 1st leg loss and if cut out there is enough not to call it done and dusted. If Tallinn do go after finishing the tie it will suit Rovers based on who they struggled to break down the defensive Albanians. Be interesting to see how close the respective opinions will be - It be entertaining either way, if Rovers get hammered I will be fine to concede that calling favourites was misjudged.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    So what you're saying is, Rovers are great and you really hope they go through yeah!?
    Your positivity is infectious, I must say.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Rovers more than capable of winning 3-0 against a team from a lower ranked league.
    Alternatively, weak back line will let Tallin score on the break, tie over.
    Or Bradley may rest players for the big game on Sunday.
    I claim my Captain Hindsight badge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Naw I dont do closet support of rivals PC! What Im saying is that Rovers still have a pretty good chance, if they dont go through I think it will be due to tactical errors as much if not more than lapses by players in the 1st leg but these can be sorted at home; and either way i'd offer a fair play, showed character to get through or If not then its a huge embarrassment for the league champions and by extension the league as a whole....

*I am assuming you were commenting on my post PC. If not then never mind!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 25/08/2021 at 5:15 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Rovers more than capable of winning 3-0 against a team from a lower ranked league.
    Alternatively, weak back line will let Tallin score on the break, tie over.
    Or Bradley may rest players for the big game on Sunday.
    I claim my Captain Hindsight badge.
    Happy to call it 2-1 rovers If that's what you're getting at
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Happy to call it 2-1 rovers If that's what you're getting at
    Too definitive.Any other options to fall back on?

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Bradley interview here: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...vers-comeback/

Claims that his focus is on the league and that Europa Conference is not a priority. Fair enough if you're a big team in a major European league, but for a manager in our more modest domestic set-up to believe that - I'm not sure he's got his priorities right. Far more money to be made, much more prestigious competition, raises the profile of the team, chance to play against more glamorous teams in proper stadiums. Sure, you have to do well in the league (or Cup) to qualify for Europe, but it seems to me like he's got his 'focus' wrong. Also, when you send out a message like that to the players, you're basically saying 'well, it's not that important if we win, it doesn't really matter that much.'
    And why does he even have to state what his priorities are?

What do Rovers fans think?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    and I always thought the focus and importance is only ever on the next game - anything else is disrespectful to the next opposition!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Bradley interview here: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...vers-comeback/

Claims that his focus is on the league and that Europa Conference is not a priority. Fair enough if you're a big team in a major European league, but for a manager in our more modest domestic set-up to believe that - I'm not sure he's got his priorities right. Far more money to be made, much more prestigious competition, raises the profile of the team, chance to play against more glamorous teams in proper stadiums. Sure, you have to do well in the league (or Cup) to qualify for Europe, but it seems to me like he's got his 'focus' wrong. Also, when you send out a message like that to the players, you're basically saying 'well, it's not that important if we win, it doesn't really matter that much.'
    And why does he even have to state what his priorities are?

What do Rovers fans think?
    Will be resting players so !! Ffs it's a 3 million Euro game!
    Nice declaration of loyalty from Mandriou!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Bit of a strange thing to say. I'd say the league and Europe should be of equal importance for a club like Rovers.
    But I get the feeling him and McPhail have a long term hope to make Rovers the absolute dominant team who win the LOI every year and are sustainable long term with their academy etc. Achieving that goal is probably their 1st priority and when they reach that point maybe then they'll expect more consistent success in Europe.

27. Thanks From:

Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast