Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2021

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    The commentator seems to think Bohs have a 2 goal lead on aggregate, but it finished 1-1 last week. Am I missing something?
    Nope. Maybe he thinks away goals still (literally) count double?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Joy to watch Devoy do his thing.

Hopefully this will be the difference in the 2 ties today, Bohs taking one of the many openings they've created while on top in the first half.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    What are the hugely experienced side doing near the relegation zone in Iceland? What are the bunch of kids doing at the top of the LoI?

I think it's entirely fair to draw conclusions from the league on that basis.
    Experience takes on a whole different meaning when it’s a straight knock out game compared to a league where form tends to play a bigger role, when the pressure is on the team with more experience has an edge. You could see during the two matches that Sligo were the better side but when it came to the crucial moments in from of goal from defense and attack that FH’s experience really told, do you think FH would have conceded the goal Sligo conceded on half time, not a chance! It’s just one of those games sadly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Bohemians really need to get a second and put these guys away, you can tell just from the moments they have that they have it in them to put a chance away if given even a sniff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    It's an FH side who are one place above the relegation zone this year, having picked up two points in their last seven league games, against a Sligo side who are joint top here. And FH have won home and away.

It's hard not to think that results like this really put the lie to those who say the league is steadily improving. Dominating and losing is still losing, especially when you do it twice.
    I think the league is improving overall, players better coached, fitter, more professional in prep etc. The issue is that other leagues are developing quicker and mainly through proper investment in the game. The Icelandic FA, with government money, have really been driving development of facilities. In some cases over developed grounds for the sort of crowds, but for player development facilities some amazing work done over 10-15 years. Here its still piecemeal, clubs doing things themselves irrespective of years an oppressive association where self interests ruled (never mind the wider grassroots and junior game), and struggles for funding - just to state the obvious lol. In many ways the league being stable, kind of, in ranking is an achievement in itself when all is considered. Doesnt dull the hope and then disappointment. We talk about getting favourable draws in Europe every year but tend to forget that we are a plum draw for other leagues.

There is undoubtedly a learning curve playing in Europe, the old game management nugget that domestically we'd bemoan as cheating and diving. FH were doing plenty of riling up the Sligo lads, elbows, digs, knocking the ball away, and the Sligo lads were getting frustrated by it. Its not a reason for a poor result, but it did contribute. Dundalk learned the hard way, carried in to our domestic game and then the guile of Chris Shields eg was a top moaning point on here weekly.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 15/07/2021 at 8:52 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Hopefully that's that now
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quality limbs from Bohs fans there in fairness to them!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I think the league is improving overall, players better coached, fitter, more professional in prep etc. The issue is that other leagues are developing quicker and mainly through proper investment in the game. The Icelandic FA, with government money, have really been driving development of facilities. In some cases over developed grounds for the sort of crowds, but for player development facilities some amazing work done over 10-15 years. Here its still piecemeal, clubs doing things themselves irrespective of years an oppressive association where self interests ruled (never mind the wider grassroots and junior game), and struggles for funding - just to state the obvious lol. In many ways the league being stable, kind of, in ranking is an achievement in itself when all is considered. Doesnt dull the hope and then disappointment. We talk about getting favourable draws in Europe every year but tend to forget that we are a plum draw for other leagues.

There is undoubtedly a learning curve playing in Europe, the old game management nugget that domestically we'd bemoan as cheating and diving. FH were doing plenty of riling up the Sligo lads, elbows, digs, knocking the ball away, and the Sligo lads were getting frustrated by it. Its not a reason for a poor result, but it did contribute. Dundalk learned the hard way, carried in to our domestic game and then the guile of Chris Shields eg was a top moaning point on here weekly.
    I know from speaking to an Icelandic fan who lives in Ireland about the comparison between the leagues was saying that he thought the Irish league has better players but Icelandic team are better organized, and tbh over the 3 games played you can see that being true, you would never see an Icelandic team concede the kind of goals that Sligo/Boh’s conceded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Bohs go through they could be back playing BCD if their 'singing' fans refuse to comply with instructions. At minimum the numbers wont be allowed if even allowed use the Aviva.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Experience takes on a whole different meaning when it’s a straight knock out game compared to a league where form tends to play a bigger role, when the pressure is on the team with more experience has an edge. You could see during the two matches that Sligo were the better side but when it came to the crucial moments in from of goal from defense and attack that FH’s experience really told, do you think FH would have conceded the goal Sligo conceded on half time, not a chance! It’s just one of those games sadly.
    But it's not "one" of those games, is it?

It's one win from four for top-half LoI sides against bottom-half Icelandic sides (assuming Bohs win now).

Sligo not being able to score and then conceding a goal FH wouldn't have suggests they weren't the better side tbh.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I know from speaking to an Icelandic fan who lives in Ireland about the comparison between the leagues was saying that he thought the Irish league has better players but Icelandic team are better organized, and tbh over the 3 games played you can see that being true, you would never see an Icelandic team concede the kind of goals that Sligo/Boh’s conceded.
    Ouch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Like a basketball game this match now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Bohs far too open here for my liking. Maybe they want to stretch Stjarnan, but they get one back and their tails are up!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Bohs go through they could be back playing BCD if their 'singing' fans refuse to comply with instructions. At minimum the numbers wont be allowed if even allowed use the Aviva.
    Old misery guts again, lol, do you work for nphet

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    But it's not "one" of those games, is it?

It's one win from four for top-half LoI sides against bottom-half Icelandic sides (assuming Bohs win now).

Sligo not being able to score and then conceding a goal FH wouldn't have suggests they weren't the better side tbh.
    It’s pointless discussing this with you.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I'm far too lazy to go searching, who do Bohs play next?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    It’s pointless discussing this with you.

What, because I've challenged your point with relevant facts?

Heaven forfend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I'm far too lazy to go searching, who do Bohs play next?
    Dudelange of Luxembourg.

Heard of them before...

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Old misery guts again, lol, do you work for nphet
    Jaysus do you want to get me started again.....

I am always a miserable old git, doesnt take away from the issue mentioned mind. No I dont work for NPHET, I wish as they had it easy!!

Enjoyed that game, apart from a spell in the 2nd half where they looked like they could let Stjarnan get a foothold in the game, it was dominant and made it count. Sligo didnt when they were on top. However it has happened there are 2 LoI sides in QR2 and 1 in QR3. I think we'd have taken that. In terms of collective finances its worth what about 10-12 back to back league titles so far!?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Dudelange of Luxembourg.

Heard of them before...
    Yes I believe you spent a night there? Cheers!
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast