Thread: Short Oral History of Limerick's 2015 Season

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts

Short Oral History of Limerick's 2015 Season

From Live 95FM: https://www.live95fm.ie/news/sport/l...e-2015-season/

The season of the Market's Field return, an enormous winless streak, the people in charge suddenly realising that the team needed investment past the halfway point, clawing back to a play-off in an incredible escape, only to face the impassable obstacle of BJ Banda. A good listen that brings back a mixture of good and bad memories of a bizarre season. Shane Duggan and Shane Tracey among the interviews. Plenty left out too in fairness. Not sure I'd agree with the implication that if they'd stayed up Limerick would have been well set for the following season, bit easy to treat it like a sliding doors moment. POS was POS after all, as you can tell from the snippet of his post play off interview. Anyway, worth a look, I'd love to see clubs and local media do more stuff like this.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Personally, I loved the part where POS told everyone in the Markets Field that Limerick were staying up.

That...and BJ Bandas goal.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    That man is some ****etalker, to put it mildly. I'm sure he was expecting us to be European champions by now.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    It was the maddest of seasons. I think over the last 12 games Limerick had the second best form in the premier after Dundalk. When we got into the ground, mad late because the supporters bus suffered not one but two blowouts on the motorway, it almost felt like not the league of Ireland. The place was mobbed and the atmosphere properly electric. But once we hung in there we had a chance, and Banda nearly levelled late on. Russell was on about needing protection from the ref and it was like smelling blood in the water. Harps players interviewed since have said they were confident and once we got the goal while it was tight going we had a momentum of our own about us. The late winner was extraordinary, absolute madness. I think the squad were still on the rip about a week later. No one ever forgets a night like that. That's the power of football right there.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Indeed a crazy season,this story while well summarised disappoints in parts,the commentary teams snug observation on Patrick Kanyuka,s contribution in the playoff 2nd leg does the player a grave disservice given his contribution on arrival midseason to the teams revival and the efforts of other players on that night who didnt enhance their reputations.the player was vilified afterwards as a result.The bit with Martin Russell at the end ironic ,Russell was given both loyalty and backing but managed a team to relagation who shouldnt have gone down.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    Indeed a crazy season,this story while well summarised disappoints in parts,the commentary teams snug observation on Patrick Kanyuka,s contribution in the playoff 2nd leg does the player a grave disservice given his contribution on arrival midseason to the teams revival and the efforts of other players on that night who didnt enhance their reputations.the player was vilified afterwards as a result.The bit with Martin Russell at the end ironic ,Russell was given both loyalty and backing but managed a team to relagation who shouldnt have gone down.
    Speaking of the devil is MR involved in mgt anymore?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Speaking of the devil is MR involved in mgt anymore?
    Last job with Bray maybe?Thought he was involved in some academy as well.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    It was the maddest of seasons. I think over the last 12 games Limerick had the second best form in the premier after Dundalk. When we got into the ground, mad late because the supporters bus suffered not one but two blowouts on the motorway, it almost felt like not the league of Ireland. The place was mobbed and the atmosphere properly electric. But once we hung in there we had a chance, and Banda nearly levelled late on. Russell was on about needing protection from the ref and it was like smelling blood in the water. Harps players interviewed since have said they were confident and once we got the goal while it was tight going we had a momentum of our own about us. The late winner was extraordinary, absolute madness. I think the squad were still on the rip about a week later. No one ever forgets a night like that. That's the power of football right there.
    My favourite footballing moment ever and I doubt it will be topped. I go to most Ireland aways and was in Lille for Brady's moment but nothing will ever beat the sheer unbridled joy of that goal. All those years of utter dross made it even better. I felt getting to the cup semi the year before we were on the way back. It will be a season I will always treasure as I got to a more matches home and away than most other seasons and there was something special about it. I felt Limerick or at least their fans thought it was over after the first leg. I'm a pessimist but felt we were in with a really good shout travelling back up the road and the feeling was very similar as Drogheda a few years ago when they had the upper hand after the first leg. There was something in the air that night that I can't explain, walking into a packed Finn Park feeling that something special was going to happen. Still get such joy watching the goal back
    Last edited by thebronze14; 20/01/2021 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    I think there was definitely a sense among Limerick fans that we should have been OK going into the second leg. I don't know if I'd call it overconfidence, but there was this very real feeling that the tide had turned with the form late season, and that the story would have a happy ending. The atmosphere for the first leg might have encouraged that. Ifs and buts all over the second leg. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Loved that NFB.
    Radio is King on nights like those.